Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Great albums discovered after you sent your album list in

The album poll is great, but there's something missing..

What albums that could have made your list, if any, have you discovered after sending your list in?

The last couple of days I've been listening to Rachel Unthank and the Winterset - The Bairns over and over. It's absolutely stunning. Shame Spotify only has this one from this band. It would easily have entered my top 200, and probably ended up quite high.

Re: Great albums discovered after you sent your album list in

Nothing really major would change on my list (nothing new could really touch the top 100 in just a month) but there are a few changes I would have made. There are a few albums that would of kicked out a few of the latter entries

Air - Moon Safari
Julian Casablancas - Phrazes for the Young
Cat Power - The Greatest
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town

One exception to that, there is one album that is probably close to the 75-125 range. And that is XTC - Skylarking. I had heard the album before, but it never really clicked until now. Now that is a classic album to me now, such a beautiful record. It really does sound like a day in the life of a idealized middle age England.

I also tired to keep the number of songbook-style albums and broadway soundtracks to a minimum.

My CD buying binge earlier in the year has now been replaced by a movie buying binge thanks to the movie poll, so there isn't much I've picked up in the last couple months that isn't 2009.

Some possible candidates:
Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha
Beck - One Foot In The Grave
Kraftwerk - Autobahn
X Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents
Bob Marley - Natty Dread
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Nico - Marble Index

Also, if Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues was eligable I would have voted for that. It's my personal opinion that collections of singles all recorded the same year before 1965 should count as albums, but I'm outvoted on that. (That would also include Elvis' Sun Sessions).

I don't want to say I discovered it, since it's been a long time favorite, but I discovered that I'd forgotten Eno's Another Green World on my list after I'd sent it.

BillAdama
X Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents

Yeah, that's a good one. I forgot that one.

The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace.

The Antlers - Hospice (album of the year for me)
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

I had listened to the Shins album a few times, but I guess I didn't listen to it close enough until now.

Beans
The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace.

...Feel the wrath of my BOMBAST

slint-spiderland (i got nicolas to add it as my 101 after the fact but it would've been WAY higher)

Cocteau twins-treasure
Battles-mirrored
Magma-MDK (possibly, too recent purchase to tell)
Mercury Rev- Yerself is Steam (possibly, too recent purchase to tell)
Residents-Not Available (possibly, too recent purchase to tell)

...i sent in my list right after nicolas announced you could send them....i wish i hadn't...

Michael, hope you enjoy Yerself Is Steam. It really is a stone classic. I had that and Spiderland in my top 10.
I always remember 1991 as a vintage year for US guitar music, and not for the reason (ie. birth of grunge) most people would tend to think.

yeah i do, plus Loveless is my favorite album so 1991 (the year i was born, actually) is fast becoming one of my favorite years in music ever.

"Chutes too narrow" here too.

That's one cool cat in your photo, Rune :-)