Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: AMF Top 200 Album Poll : the results

Jonathon
Bill...On The Beach was in my top 5; here's to hoping.

I had On the Beach at 70 on my list. The highest Neil Young I had was After the Goldrush at 17. I also had everyone knows this is nowhere at 38 and Live at Massey Hall 1971 at 79.

Jackson
Moonbeam
Hey guys,

Has it been determined who is doing the song list? I know I'm on board for the artists list after that, but I'm not sure if anyone has claimed the song list. If not, I can do it.

I actually really want to do the song list, but I'll cede to one of the more senior members of the forum if they want to do it.

Jackson, I'd be very happy for you to do the songs list if nobody's claimed it!

175. Big Star - #1 Record (175 for me!)
174. The Knife - Silent Shout (37)
165. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (186)
164. Neil Young - Tonight's The Night (27)
161. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (155)
159. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (5)
157. Nick Drake - Bryter Layter (167)
154. Daft Punk – Discovery (51)
152. Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica (58)
147. Prince – 1999 (160)
146. Pearl Jam – Ten (142)
141. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (22)
136. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (172)
132. Antony & the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now (191)
131. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (24)
129. Primal Scream – Screamadelica (161)
126. The Velvet Underground – Loaded (126)

Definitely the big shocker was Mellon Collie over Siamese Dream. Siamese Dream is simply so important to my adolescent musical memories that I always relate Mellon Collie to it, even though the latter is amazing. Siamese was pure satured fuzzy beauty... the pinnacle of early 90s alternative, while Mellon Collie represent musicians following up a masterpiece with sprawling experimentation in unexpected styles, as they often do with follow-ups. Fortunately those styles are awesome, with no filler except for the slight songs that serve a basic aesthetic for a particular section of the record. Although perhaps for younger music listeners (I know we've got some readers that were born in the nineties!) I can see how Mellon Collie might relate more to the alterna-pop landscape of the the mid-90s onward. There's more in a song like 1979 to some ears than others.

But personally, putting Mellon over Siamese Dream would be like someone saying that a follow-up to Loveless, if it ever exists, would be better. They were already perfect, how can anything derived from the same musicians afterwards be any better?

BillAdama
Young sounds so much better when he's not being commercial.

I don't agree at all. Harvest is despised by a lot of people because of its "commercial" sound.

What does it mean ? To me I hear the same Neil Young as on the other albums, the songs are top notch, but the production si a little cleaner.

"Heart Of Gold", "Old Man", "Alabama", "The Needle", "Out On The Weekend", "Harvest" are among the best songs Neil ever wrote.

And Jack Nietzsche production is beautiful. The only problem is that your aunt or your grandmother can like this album. And in some people's opinion, it's a bad thing.

Is "commercial" a bad word ?

I'm opening a new thread for 123 -100 because some people might miss the 2nd page

See you in a few hours

black saint and the sinner lady is the best jazz album i've ever heard

That album started very well because both you and sonofsamaian had it in your top 10

I couldn't agree with you more, Tim O': Veedon Fleece is easily the most playable Van disc, you can let it spin in the background on a Sunday morning, it blends in, or you can listen to it on a headphone and be amazed by the beauty of Van's voice, you never get tired of it. There are two excellent outtakes on the "Philosopher's Stone" outtakes compilation btw .

The Evolution in AM Forums

2009-2008-2005

124 - 188 - 70 - The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
125 - xxx - 100 - Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis
126 - 136 - xxx - The Velvet Underground - Loaded
127 - xxx - 182 - Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
128 - 103 - 137 - Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On
129 - xxx - 86 - Primal Scream - Screamadelica
130 - 165 - 161 - The Band - Music from Big Pink
131 - 90 - 122 - The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
132 - xxx - xxx - Antony and The Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now
133 - 110 - 130 - Neil Young - Harvest
134 - 109 - xxx - Pink Floyd - The Wall
135 - xxx - xxx - Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
136 - 131 - 126 - Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
137 - 162 - 65 - Lou Reed - Berlin
138 - 159 - 56 - Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
139 - 194 - xxx - Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A.
140 - 151 - xxx - Elliott Smith - XO
141 - 156 - xxx - The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
142 - 111 - 55 - Björk - Debut
143 - 187 - xxx - David Bowie - Station to Station
144 - 105 - 131 - Sigur Rós - Agaetis Byrjun
145 - xxx - 90 - Kraftwerk - Trans-Europa Express
146 - 98 - xxx - Pearl Jam - Ten
147 - 118 - 193 - Prince and The Revolution - 1999
148 - 133 - xxx - Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
149 - 99 - 103 - Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
150 - 57 - 20 - Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Great stat otis

The case of Oasis is astonishing : looks like the more time passes, the less acclaimed this album becomes.

But it elightens some other albums, like Anthony & the Johnsons or Physical Graffiti, which weren't on any of the previous lists

Jonah

Definitely the big shocker was Mellon Collie over Siamese Dream. Siamese Dream is simply so important to my adolescent musical memories that I always relate Mellon Collie to it, even though the latter is amazing. Siamese was pure satured fuzzy beauty... the pinnacle of early 90s alternative, while Mellon Collie represent musicians following up a masterpiece with sprawling experimentation in unexpected styles, as they often do with follow-ups. Fortunately those styles are awesome, with no filler except for the slight songs that serve a basic aesthetic for a particular section of the record. Although perhaps for younger music listeners (I know we've got some readers that were born in the nineties!) I can see how Mellon Collie might relate more to the alterna-pop landscape of the the mid-90s onward. There's more in a song like 1979 to some ears than others.

But personally, putting Mellon over Siamese Dream would be like someone saying that a follow-up to Loveless, if it ever exists, would be better. They were already perfect, how can anything derived from the same musicians afterwards be any better?

Good comments Jonah.
I put Mellon Collie over Siamese Dream in many reasons. First Mellon Collie was the first Smashing Pumpkins album to me. I saw music video of Today in program called Rock Circus in 93. First impression was that the singer was the worst ever. In a way I liked the song and showed the video to all my friends (I recrorded every episode of Rock Circus).
Then in autumn of 1995 I heart that Pumpkins have made new album. I listened to Bullet with Butterfly Wings and it sounded interesting (and Billy Corgan didn't sound the worst singer ever anymore). I got the album (after wondering how on earth it can be the #1 in Billboard charts). It blowed my mind (I got also Siamese Dream) and Pumpkins become my favourite band (before that it was Metallica I guess and since summer of 97 it has been Radiohead).
There are much more versatility in Mellon Collie than in Siamese Dream (and I don't mean in quality of songs). I mean if you only think the five songs that was released as a single - they are all different to each others. Also the album isn't just a bunch of songs it's an entirety which has beginning and ending.
The biggest reason why I prefer Mellon Collie is that I think there are better songs in the album than in Siamese. Of course songs like Disarm and Today are pure pop genius. And some rock songs are also very good (Cherub Rock, Queit...) but like (edit)VanillaFire1000 (/edit) said 1979 is song of the decade. Also the peaceful songs (excluding Disarm) are better in Mellon Collie. For example any song after XYU is better than Space Boy.
In a way I'm also a bit surprised that Mellon Collie beat Siamese Dream because SD is more acclaimed and shorter (and that's why maybe easier to approach). In 90's I had more time to listen to albums that I loved because I listened to maybe 50-100 new albums per year. Nowadays when it's almost ten new albums per week I prefer shorter albums. If Mellon Collie would be released today I might passed it too quickly because of its length (and fillers).
Mellon Collie didn't bring anything totally new to music of Pumpkins but it has better songs and it was released at a right time to me. For a same reason I prefer Morning Glory to Definitely Maybe and Antics to Turn on the Bright Lights.

By the way talking about My Bloody Valentine. I put Isn't Anything (#2 of 80's) over Loveless in my list.

Carole King's Tapestry comes in at 186; this a very large drop from recent AM lists, and indicates to me that her music has very little following among folks younger than 30 or 45 years old. Of course, being the oldest guy in the poll, I rated this album all the way up at 6. Great songwriting, excellent vocals, but nothing spectacular as far as instrumental virtuouso and nothing in the way of experimentation. Perhaps this is why the album has dropped so far. I still love it.

The Who's Quadrophenia remains one of my favorites (46 on my list). Some of the better songs in my view include: Love, Reign O'er Me; The Real Me; The Punk And The Godfather; I've Had Enough; 5:15; Cut My Hair; I'm One; Doctor Jimmy; Sea and Sand; The Rock; Is It In My Head. Keith Moon's drumming is excellent on this album, and in my view, never again rises to this level of inspiration before his untimely death.

Blondie's Parallel Lines is another gem (I placed it at 109). So many superb songs on this disc.

I am not surprised to see Tommy and Layla drop down on this list. Both are great albums. My favorites from Layla include: Layla, Bell Bottom Blues; Little Wing, Why Does Love Have to be So Sad, and I Looked Away. Tommy was a game-changer in its day. Daltrey's vocals were superb and Townsend was near his best. Let's see where Who's Next ends up.

1 2