Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Most Acclaimed Songs of 2009?

Anyone have any guesses on what the most acclaimed songs of 2009 will be? Right now, it seems that "My Girls" by Animal Collective could top the list...

Re: Most Acclaimed Songs of 2009?

yeah hopefully that coupled with the high acclaim for MPP will raise AC's ranking a lot!

I'm hoping "Daniel" by Bat for Lashes does well- I can see it making the top 10! A sleeper pick and my choice for song of the year is "Anthonio" by Annie. Sheer brilliance!

I guess Crystalized by the XX, Stillness is the Move by Dirty Projectors and Listzomania by Phoenix might end up in a few lists.
I hope some Fever Ray songs too and I guess we will see songs from Grizzli Bear (Two Weeks ?), Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Girls (Lust for Life ?).

Hard to know what the Hip-hop acclaimed song of the year will be, it does not seem like there has been many big hits followed bith the critics. Maybe the new Big Boi single could at least rank as well as Int'l Players Anthem.
In the UK I guess there might be some support for Dizzee Rascal's Bonkers or for some Lily Allen songs.

Some questions left :
Will Lady Gaga and Britney Spears hits earn some critical support ?
Will U2 and Greenday get enough support from "Rolling Stone-like" magazines to enter the AM3000 ?

I would be very surprised if anything other than My Girls took the year's top slot. There hasn't been any ultra-big singles like Crazy or Hey Ya so I have a feeling it will be the strongest cut from the strongest album.

This has seemed to be an especially weak year for songs for me. Will any mainstream pop/rap/R&B hits gain critical acceptance? It's more likely that the top songs from the year's top albums will instead top the list: "My Girls," "1901," "Two Weeks," and "Stillness is the Move," to name a few. The Flaming Lips might end up like TV on the Radio did last year, where a lot of songs are cited by critics but none gains enough consensus to make T10.

Kid Cuti - Day N' Nite and The Lonely Island - I'm on a Boat, seen like best chances for a rap song to make the top 10. but who knows if I'm on a Boat has staying power.

just judging by radio airplay here, "Empire State of Mind" and "Rockin' That Shit" are gonna have to place. and they should. jigga's album is pretty mediocre, but that's one fantastic single, largely thanks to alicia keys. and the dream's whole album is sick.

Chris
Kid Cuti - Day N' Nite and The Lonely Island - I'm on a Boat, seen like best chances for a rap song to make the top 10. but who knows if I'm on a Boat has staying power.

"i'm on a boat, motherfucker, don't you ever forget."

"French navy" by Camera Obscura maybe ?

Michael
Chris

"i'm on a boat, motherfucker, don't you ever forget."

Hahahaha

maybe Dominoes by the Big Pink will make the list as well.

This year has been great. Pop singles haven't been so hot but indie music and the buzz bands have more pop sensibilities to them so that makes up for it. Talented bands chose to make great albums that can crossover instead of avant garde. Count me as one who is very impressed with 2009.

Green Day is too good to make top 10 this year.

Nassim
Hard to know what the Hip-hop acclaimed song of the year will be, it does not seem like there has been many big hits followed bith the critics. Maybe the new Big Boi single could at least rank as well as Int'l Players Anthem.
In the UK I guess there might be some support for Dizzee Rascal's Bonkers or for some Lily Allen songs.

I wonder if Raekwon's "House of Flying Daggers" might show up. It seemed to get a fair amount of critical love when it came out.

Since Drake has gotten so huge I can see "Best I Ever Had" making a few lists, but "Empire State of Mind" is my hip-hop song of the year and I would be in shock if anything other than "My Girls" took #1.

Big Pink - Dominos
Camera Obscura - French Navy

Empire State of Mind has gotten really big, especially here in the NYC media market. I would be surprised if it didn't make T5 songs of the year.

A song I keep finding myself whistling is Rave On by M Ward. I hope it makes a few lists.