Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lists like that 2008 album list

I'm working my way (quickly) through the 2008 album list, finding a lot of good albums I've never heard about (as I started at the bottom). But does these lists exist for other years? Of course those who have entered the AM3000, and those bubbling under are known, but I was curious about those below that.

Re: Lists like that 2008 album list

It's available for 2007 as well, see the "Lists by year" page on the main AM site.

I have also started an EOY archive in the forum. I asked in another thread if someone was interested in putting all the lists in the EOY archive into spreadsheets and Andre volunteered to work on this. At the moment, however, I think he is occupied by other things.

"as I started at the bottom" - hilarious!

That is great. There's even more albums here.

I guess I could do some years, or are all lists meant to be written into the same list?

It would be great if you would compile a spreadsheet or two, Rune! The spreadsheets should be by year and there's a template for this here.

A recommendation: There are A LOT more lists from the later years, so it's probably more fun to do the earlier ones. However, it might be that Andre is working on the 1970s lists, so 1980 might be a good place to start.

I started at 1980, but I got some questions..

How do I write Elvis Costello & The Attractions? Like that, or Costello, Elvis & The Attractions, or some other way?

I get that band names will be written Specials, The, but does the same apply for album titles, like Specials, The or River, The?

I would say that this is not terribly important, but anyway here's what I think:

If the format "Specials, The" is used, then I think it should also be "Springsteen, Bruce". Following this, I would go with either "Costello, Elvis & The Attractions" or "Costello & The Attractions, Elvis". Simply "Costello, Elvis" would be fine too. I would not use the format "River, The" for album titles.

Some technical questions now, then..

How do I make more room for more lists, when all the spaces in the template has been used? It's not enough to add a new column, as it doesn't get calculated in the score.

Also, the only score being calculated in UK & Ireland, the other two are blank. Cut & paste doesn't seem to fix it.

If parts of the list are rated and other parts not. Like NME's list, which has a top 50, and then some other notable albums, how do I do that?

Rune
How do I make more room for more lists, when all the spaces in the template has been used? It's not enough to add a new column, as it doesn't get calculated in the score.
There are many hidden columns that should be used, just mark the columns N and BA, right-click the mouse and choose "show".

Rune
Also, the only score being calculated in UK & Ireland, the other two are blank. Cut & paste doesn't seem to fix it.
The formulas might not work if you have added new columns (they might read from the wrong columns), but I'm not sure. I suggest that you copy the lists into the original template again or send your sheet to me so I can have a look at it.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Rune
If parts of the list are rated and other parts not. Like NME's list, which has a top 50, and then some other notable albums, how do I do that?
The correct way (as I see it) is to add the mean position. If NME ordered 50 albums and had, say, 25 bubbling under albums, then enter 63 for those bubbling under albums.

Another question.

When typing in a non-ranked list, I enter 10 in the box at the top, but should every album in that list be ranked as number 1, or should I use mean position there too?

Number one. Are the formulas working now?

The score formula is working, but I had to type them in myself. But I can't get the ranking to work. Weirdly enough, ranking for UK is working, while the rest are not, even though they are similar.

I found the error. Fixing it now.