Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
betterPropaganda: Top 100 Albums of the Decade

This list is a little different, but I'm thrilled that Sound of Silver placed at number 1! I'm pretty sure it's eligible given the blurb about how the list was compiled.

Re: betterPropaganda: Top 100 Albums of the Decade

I like this list's pro-electronic(a) bias, especially since most publications are ignorant of it. It even has DJ Spooky!

This list was mentioned before, but I had completely forgotten about it!

Henrik, is it eligible? If so, I'll add it to the spreadsheet. It's American, correct?

I never asked you about the weighting (which, as T.P. once told us, is the hardest part). Should I just enter the positions from new lists and you'll handle the statistical stuff, or are there formulas built in already?

Harold, the list is eligible. I don't use weights in the spreadsheets. I hope it's fine to keep it that way.

I look forward to seeing the results!

While we're on the subject, is this horrible list eligible as well?

Moonbeam
While we're on the subject, is this horrible list eligible as well?

As touted by "RADIOHEADSMAN" in another thread here. COMPLEX is a U.S. "lad mag" in the vein of your MAXIMs and your BLENDERs. With its cultural commentary, it seems to be consciously trying to fill whatever void was left by the demise of BLENDER; BLENDER's lists were always eligible here, so I don't know. This is always your call, Henrik.

Wow, Complex. That's seriously the worst decade list I have seen in a long time.

The premier online destination for the most influential 20-something male consumers...

I guess it can/has to/should/must be included.

This brings up another logistical question, Henrik: how often should I send or post updated versions of the spreadsheet? I don't really think these two lists alone would justify that. Monthly, maybe, with exceptions for presumed "big" lists (e.g., MOJO, NME, ROLLING STONE, SPIN, etc.)?

Henrik
The premier online destination for the most influential 20-something male consumers...

I guess it can/has to/should/must be included.

I wouldn't call the list bad. Very hip-hop oriented, but this really is the decade of hip-hop no matter what indie people think.

1. Jay-Z - The Blueprint (2001)
2. Kanye West - Graduation (2007)
3. 50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin' (2003)
4. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)
5. OutKast - Stankonia (2000)
6. Justin Timberlake - FutureSex / LoveSounds (2006)
7. The White Stripes - Elephant (2003)
8. Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele (2000)
9. Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter II (2005)
10. The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium (2003)
11. Kanye West - The College Dropout (2004)
12. Usher - Confessions (2004)
13. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain (2006)
14. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver (2007)
15. The Diplomats - Diplomatic Immunity (2003)
16. Birdman & Lil' Wayne - Like Father, Like Son (2006)
17. Jay-Z - The Black Album (2003)
18. Arcade Fire - Funeral (2004)
19. D'Angelo - Voodoo (2000)
20. Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury (2006)
21. Young Jeezy - The Recession (2008)
22. Scarface - The Fix (2002)
23. The Strokes - Is This It
24. T.I. - Trap Muzik (2003)
25. Enimem - The Eminem Show (2002)
26. Santogold - Santogold (2008)
27. Young Jeezy - Let's Get It: Thug Motivation 101 (2005)
28. Gorillaz - Gorillaz (2001)
29. The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers (2006)
30. Hot Chip - The Warning (2006)
31. Dungen - Ta Det Lugnt (2004)
32. Daft Punk - Discovery (2000)
33. Cam'Ron - Purple Haze (2004)
34. M.I.A. - Kala (2007)
35. The Black Keys - Attack & Release (2008)
36. Prodigy - H.N.I.C. (2000)
37. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell (2003)
38. Damien Marley - Halfway Tree (2001)
39. Devin the Dude - Just Tryin' Ta Live (2002)
40. The-Dream - Love Vs. Money (2009)
41. At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command (2000)
42. Clipse - Lord Willin' (2003)
43. The Postal Service - Give Up (2003)
44. Three 6 Mafia - Most Known Unknown (2003)
45. Kanye West - Late Registration (2005)
46. Madvillian - Madvilliany (2005)
47. The Libertines - The Libertines (2004)
48. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells (2001)
49. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular (2007)
50. Lily Allen - Alright, Still (2006)
51. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (2000
52. The Game - The Documentary (2005)
53. Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon (2006)
54. Ratatat - Classics (2006)
55. Radiohead - Kid A (2000)
56. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free (2004)
57. Bubba Sparxxx - Deliverance (2003)
58. The Knux - Remind Me In 3 Days (2008)
59. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (2006)
60. Nas - God's Son (2002)
61. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam (2007)
62. Mastodon - Blood Mountain (2006)
63. M.O.P. - Warriorz (2000)
64. The Kills - Midnight Boom (2008)
65. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (2008)
66. Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf (2002)
67. Common - Be (2005)
68. Jay-Z - The Dynasty: Roc La Familia (2000)
69. Tv on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes (2004)
70. Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens (2007)
71. Gnarl Barkley - St. Elsewhere (2006)
72. The Fucking Champs - IV (2000)
73. R-Kelly and Jay-z - The Best of Both Worlds (2002)
74. T.I. - Urban Legend (2004)
75. Yeasayer - All Hour Cymbals (2007)
76. Robin Thicke - A Beautiful World (2003)
77. Cam'Ron - Come Home With Me (2002)
78. Justice - Cross (2007)
79. The Walkmen - Bows + Arrows (2004)
80. G-Unit - Beg for Mercy (2003)
81. Capleton - More Fire (2000)
82. Out Hud - S.T.R.E.E.T. D.A.D. (2002)
83. Young Buck - Straight Outta Ca$hville (2004)
84. Lupe Fiasco - The Cool (2007)
85. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale (2006)
86. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours (2008)
87. Sean Price - Jesus Price Superstar (2007)
88. N.E.R.D. - In Search of... (2001)
89. Peter, Bjorn, & John - Writer's Block (2006)
90. Chromeo - She's In Control (2004)
91. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (2005)
92. Ludacris - Back for the First Time (2000)
93. Gorillaz - Demon Days (2005)
94. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (2002)
95. Slim Thug - Already Platinum (2005)
96. Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News (2003)
97. El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead (2007)
98. The Killers - Hot Fuss (2003)
99. The Concretes - The Concretes (2003)
100. Kanye West - 808s And Heartbreak (2008)

Any list with In Ghost Colours, Be, and The Cool is a good list in my book.

Harold Wexler
This brings up another logistical question, Henrik: how often should I send or post updated versions of the spreadsheet? I don't really think these two lists alone would justify that. Monthly, maybe, with exceptions for presumed "big" lists (e.g., MOJO, NME, ROLLING STONE, SPIN, etc.)?
I don't want to pressure you Harold, but as soon as you've added a list, why not post it?

Hmmm, now I know how you all feel...

No worries, Henrik. I work pretty fast.

Vanilla, thanks for posting the COMPLEX list and saving me the trouble of opening 100 INDIVIDUAL PAGES. Christ. How long did that take?

Horrible. No Yankee Hotel Foxtrot?

Jonathon
Horrible. No Yankee Hotel Foxtrot?

And KID A the only RH album, down at #55. I'd bet anything that it's only there at all because of what the reaction would be if it wasn't.

5. OutKast - Stankonia (2000)
18. Arcade Fire - Funeral (2004)
55. Radiohead - Kid A (2000)

These are the only albums on the whole list that make my top 10.

The rest of my top 10 (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, SMiLE, MPP, In Rainbows, The Glow Part 2, Moon & Antarctica, Dear Science) are all missing.

Harold Wexler
No worries, Henrik. I work pretty fast.

Vanilla, thanks for posting the COMPLEX list and saving me the trouble of opening 100 INDIVIDUAL PAGES. Christ. How long did that take?

About 20 minutes. I was waiting for my laundry to finish.

VanillaFire1000

3. 50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin' (2003)

This is reason alone why the list is terrible. Even their comments about some of the non hip-hop albums are condescending. Take this one for Sound of Silver:

One man band man James Murphy struck gold with Silver, combining his typically ironic song riting with a bevy of uptempo, hummable beats. Apparently the sound of silver is also the sound indie rock wallflowers 'round the world saying, "Oh shit, you mean we have to..to...dance?"

It's like they purposely tried to show how macho they are with this list.

Complex.com list

First five are rap/hip hop till you get down to the Timbaland produced Timberlake album. Then, when they get to the White Stripes they say: "It took the two palest whites in rock n' roll (an already anemic affair) back to its black roots." Can you say self-hating white boys?

Re: Complex.com list

It was the decade of hip hop in terms of quantity popularity, in America. Quantity popularity isn't necessarily what gets an album remembered, and America's only one country.

But this kind of list is important because otherwise hip hop will be underrepresented.

Spreadsheet updated

Thanks Harold!

Henrik
Spreadsheet updated

Thanks Harold!

There is something I don't get with Henrik. Everything here is against everything else in the 2000s. The lowest album right now is 62. Does that mean that there is no way for any of these albums to get below that? If Is This It isn't first after all the lists are added up, can it be pushed down in the rankings while other albums (assuming things like Funeral, Kid A, a few possible others) are pushed up? For some of the big movers (looking at the early lists, things like Discovery, Geodaddi, Supreme Clientele) how far can they expect to move down?

Also, an interesting fact: the only albums to be on every list are Kid A, Stankonia, and Yoshimi. You figure there would be more.

VanillaFire1000
Henrik
Spreadsheet updated

Thanks Harold!

There is something I don't get with Henrik. Everything here is against everything else in the 2000s. The lowest album right now is 62. Does that mean that there is no way for any of these albums to get below that? If Is This It isn't first after all the lists are added up, can it be pushed down in the rankings while other albums (assuming things like Funeral, Kid A, a few possible others) are pushed up?
I'm not really sure what you mean with "Everything here is against everything else in the 2000s" but we had a discussion about 2000s albums moving up and down in another thread, where I said that for 2000s albums to move up generally, they need to be included in more all-time lists. The decade hasn't become more well regarded just because it's time to summarize it. But the 2000s albums will definitely move around a lot after the EOD lists have been added, some up and others down.

Henrik
VanillaFire1000
Henrik
Spreadsheet updated

Thanks Harold!

There is something I don't get with Henrik. Everything here is against everything else in the 2000s. The lowest album right now is 62. Does that mean that there is no way for any of these albums to get below that? If Is This It isn't first after all the lists are added up, can it be pushed down in the rankings while other albums (assuming things like Funeral, Kid A, a few possible others) are pushed up?
I'm not really sure what you mean with "Everything here is against everything else in the 2000s" but we had a discussion about 2000s albums moving up and down in another thread, where I said that for 2000s albums to move up generally, they need to be included in more all-time lists. The decade hasn't become more well regarded just because it's time to summarize it. But the 2000s albums will definitely move around a lot after the EOD lists have been added, some up and others down.

Its just that there is basically one album from the 2000s so far ahead of anything else from this decade, which is kind of an anomaly when looking at all the other album lists by decade. This is because Is This It has been featured in many all-time lists in comparison to everything else. What you have said before is that each list is weighted by how many years the list includes. So if is This It is judged by decade only lists to be "worse" than 4 or 5 other albums, does that mean that those albums will be pushed into the 100s closer, or even perhaps ahead of Is This It, even though they are only on a few "all-time" lists right now? What if after all the dust clears, and Is This It is ranked really far down on the 2000s list, will that mean that the entire spreadsheet means less because the leader from that group in all-time lists really doesn't mean much?

Am I just not getting how the entire ranking system works?

EDIT: This is what I am thinking.

Is This It is at number 62. Let's call that A.
Illinois is 129. That will be B.
Bridge Over Troubled Water is 99. That will be C.

In all the all-time lists, A>C.
But after all the the 2000s decade lists, B>A.
Shouldn't B>C then? According to the all-time lists right now, no. So there is no way for B to get past C in the rankings, even though all those lists are saying it is better than A, which is better than C. In order to make up for that, will AA?

Henrik
Spreadsheet updated

Thanks Harold!

#209 Franz Ferdinand

AM's current #3 album of the decade is getting kicked to the curb.

Michael
#209 Franz Ferdinand

AM's current #3 album of the decade is getting kicked to the curb.

Well, keep in mind there's only been five lists so far. I wouldn't expect FF to be shut out of all of them. But yes, it would appear that the album has lost a bit of its initial luster. What's interesting is that IS THIS IT, which I think everyone predicted would take a similar tumble in the EOD lists, looks like it will end holding its own and then some.

VanillaFire1000
Henrik
VanillaFire1000
Henrik
Spreadsheet updated

Thanks Harold!

Its just that there is basically one album from the 2000s so far ahead of anything else from this decade, which is kind of an anomaly when looking at all the other album lists by decade. This is because Is This It has been featured in many all-time lists in comparison to everything else. What you have said before is that each list is weighted by how many years the list includes. So if is This It is judged by decade only lists to be "worse" than 4 or 5 other albums, does that mean that those albums will be pushed into the 100s closer, or even perhaps ahead of Is This It, even though they are only on a few "all-time" lists right now? What if after all the dust clears, and Is This It is ranked really far down on the 2000s list, will that mean that the entire spreadsheet means less because the leader from that group in all-time lists really doesn't mean much?

Am I just not getting how the entire ranking system works?

EDIT: This is what I am thinking.

Is This It is at number 62. Let's call that A.
Illinois is 129. That will be B.
Bridge Over Troubled Water is 99. That will be C.

In all the all-time lists, A>C.
But after all the the 2000s decade lists, B>A.
Shouldn't B>C then? According to the all-time lists right now, no. So there is no way for B to get past C in the rankings, even though all those lists are saying it is better than A, which is better than C. In order to make up for that, will AA?
VanillaFire1000, maybe you haven't noticed that the top 3000 list has not been updated in a long time? The new decade lists (and a lot of other recent critics' lists) are not reflected in the top 3000 ranking yet. But when they will be, then the EOD lists will have an impact on the 2000s albums positions in the all-time list. Let's say that, after all EOD lists are in, "Illinois" has overtaken "Is This It" but "Is This It" is still ahead of "Bridge over Troubled Water", then of course "Illinois" will also be ahead of "Bridge over Troubled Water". But it could also be that "Bridge over Troubled Water" will be ahead of both of them. That depends on whether "Illinois" will do really well in the EOD lists or "Is This It" will do a lot worse than it has in the pre-EOD critics' lists.

Note however, that in next year's site update, when the EOD lists have been included, the pre-EOD lists will still have impact on the all-time list, so the ranking of the 2000s albums in the top 3000 list will be different to the ranking in the spreadsheet.

I hope this comes out as a clarification and that I didn't complicate this even more...

BillAdama
It was the decade of hip hop in terms of quantity popularity, in America. Quantity popularity isn't necessarily what gets an album remembered, and America's only one country.

But this kind of list is important because otherwise hip hop will be underrepresented.

Hip hop only sells about 20% of all albums in America though according to Nielson SoundScan (with rock at 32%, roughly). It's interesting. I also should note, living in LA, Indie Rock is ubiquitous (I realize it's probably not that way in a lot of the rest of the country, but still).

And if we want to talk about underrated, we could talk about country music. I'm not a fan, but it is not represented in EOY lists.

To Henrik:

I get what your saying now, but I still think it is a little weird. If "Is This It" does really bad on the EOD lists, every album from the 2000s will go down in stature?

VanillaFire1000
To Henrik:

I get what your saying now, but I still think it is a little weird. If "Is This It" does really bad on the EOD lists, every album from the 2000s will go down in stature?
No. And I don't know what makes you think that.

OK. Then I give up. I will never learn how the formula works. I'll just wait until everything is finished.