Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Antlers

So i don't think there has been any discussion of this band on this forum yet but last week on monday i bought The Antlers' album Hospice as an impulse buy, only knowing that it got a decent review on Pitchfork. I actually thought that they were a folk-rock band but they're actually an indie/noise band and i was so smitten by the album i immediately bought tickets to see them. I saw them in Hoboken, New Jersey last saturday and i have to say they were FANTASTIC live. the energy these guys radiated from their performance was spectacular and their live show was far more shoegaze/noisy sounding than their album was which i thought sounded even better than the disc, but that's just me. Also they were paired with some phenomenal openers. One was happy and peppy (Family of the Year) and the other was noise rock duo (Holly Miranda). After Holly Miranda finished their set The Antlers joined them onstage for an epic cover of Pink Floyd's Speak to Me/Breathe that was truly awesome.

anyways, i'm gushing but if these guys are ever playing near you i highly recommend them

Re: The Antlers

Hospice is currently in my top 5 albums of 2009. I think it's an extremely beautifully sad album.

Just picked it up used for $6. Haven't listened to it yet.

First time I heard this album I wasn't really paying attention and I wasn't terribly impressed, but I decided to give it another spin and I started to really get into it. A consecutive listen later and it is now a definite contender for album of the year for me. Hauntingly beautiful.

This is probably album of the year for me as well. This has been one of the very few highlights of this year in music for me.

I've listened to it 3 or 4 times all the way though, but that's still not enough for me to make a final opinion.

i'm glad this album is getting some love around here. hopefully the EOY lists will give the same.