The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Round 1, Week 13

WEEK 13

A little breakdown of this week's songs by decade...
1920s: 0
1930s: 1
1940s: 1
1950s: 3
1960s: 10
1970s: 7
1980s: 3
1990s: 0
2000s: 7

Also of note:
Two brackets from the Tchaikovsky bloc
Two songs by Missy Elliott

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
#58: "Dancing in the Street" - Martha & the Vandellas [1965]
#455: "Ode to Billie Joe" - Bobbie Gentry [1967]
#570: "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex [1973]
#967: "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado [2006]

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
#211: "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice [2007]
#302: "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges [1969]
#723: "I'm a Man" - Bo Diddley [1955]
#814: "Fever" - Peggy Lee [1958]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
#63: "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green [1972]
#450: "Over and Over" - Hot Chip [2006]
#575: "Come Together" - The Beatles [1969]
#962: "Wabash Cannonball" - Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys [1947]

TCHAIKOVSKY BLOC, BRACKET 15
#155: "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music [1972]
#358: "The Loco-Motion" - Little Eva [1962]
#667: "Arnold Layne" - Pink Floyd [1967]
#870: "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson [1937]

RACHMANINOFF BLOC, BRACKET 11
#169: "Work It" - Missy Elliott [2002]
#344: "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations [1971]
#681: "Keep on Movin'" - Soul II Soul [1989]
#856: "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - Glen Campbell [1968]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
#156: "Brown Sugar" - The Rolling Stones [1971]
#357: "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio [2006]
#669: "Good Lovin'" - The Young Rascals [1966]
#869: "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley [1970]

TCHAIKOVSKY BLOC, BRACKET 8
#70: "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott [2001]
#443: "Dream On" - Aerosmith [1973]
#582: "Everybody's Talkin'" - Nilsson [1968]
#955: "Sucker M.C.'s" - Run-D.M.C. [1984]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
#90: "Ghost Town" - The Specials [1981]
#423: "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin [1959]
#602: "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters [1960]
#935: "1234" - Feist [2007]

Re: Bracketology: Round 1, Week 13

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Dancing in the Street" - Martha & the Vandellas [1965]
Here's an example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. The lyrics are fairly unimpressive: everyone's having such a great time that they're dancing in the streets. The sound quality is fairly poor, and the horns are so prominent that they sometimes threaten to overpower Martha's singing. And I always have a hard time not thinking about the embarrassing remake by Mick Jagger and David Bowie where, in the video, they look like they're about to make out. But there's something about this song that keeps me coming back. It's one of my all-time favorites; I love it.
2. "Ode to Billie Joe" - Bobbie Gentry [1967]
Yes, the lyrics to this song have set tongues to wagging since it came out four decades ago, but what startles me the most about this song is just how understated the instrumentation is. The whole thing is based on a very spare acoustic guitar and an upright bass. Sure, the strings are a touch grandiose in places (the third verse in particular), but this is just a very simple song. And in spite of why Billie Joe bothered to jump off the Tallahatchee Bridge, the lyrics paint a very damning view of Southern life. "Who cares why he died? Pass the biscuits, please."
3. "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex [1973]
Dirty, raw, and full of sexual energy. I can't really complain with this song; it just isn't quite on the same level as the first two. Still, the fact that I'm not putting a T. Rex song dead last is saying something for me.
4. "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado [2006]
I remember when Nelly Furtado first came out with her debut album back in 2000. I was totally on board with her brand of urban-tinged alterna-rock. Hell, even though her sophomore album wasn't a big seller, I was still down. But then came "Loose" in 2006 and she lost me. The alternative rock was gone in favor of club beats. As much as I disliked the change in tone (she sold out, man!), I can't deny that this song is not terrible. I just wish someone who was better suited to dance-pop (Britney, Madonna, Rihanna, etc.) had done this song.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice [2007]
It seems like in the last couple of years, the big trend for indie rock (and by indie rock, I mean the stuff that gets played on my college radio station) has been to bring dance music into the fold. And what amazes me even more is how these hipster kids who adore bands like the Decemberists, Spoon, and the National have embraced groups like Hercules and Love Affair, Hot Chip, LCD Soundsystem, and the Knife. Not that I have a problem with either group of music, I just never would have expected those two camps to come together!
And who would have ever expected that in 2007, when Michael Jackson was deeply embroiled in a scandalous court case, a French house group would release a tribute to the King of Pop, and that it would go on to be one of the year's best singles? Is this really the 211th best song of all time? Probably not, and this song will likely drop in time and fade into obscurity. But right now, this is definitely the only one of the four songs in this bracket that I would put on repeat right now.
2. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges [1969]
Years before punk became vogue, the Stooges basically gave birth to it with this song. The boys' ode to sexual subservience still sounds fresh all these years later. Maybe it's that slightly fuzzed guitar. Maybe it's that one-note piano riff. For me, it's how k-os sampled this song in the opening track to his greatest hits album "Collected."
3. "Fever" - Peggy Lee [1958]
Really? This song is over half a century old? Damn. Another song with very sparse instrumentation, and once again, it works to the song's advantage. What's most remarkable about this song is how Peggy Lee, never considered the most bluesy of singers, managed to take a blues track and make it her own. Kudos to you, Ms. Lee.
4. "I'm a Man" - Bo Diddley [1955]
You've probably heard the story: Bo stole the guitar lick to Muddy Waters' "Hoochie Coochie Man" to make this song, so Muddy stole this song back to make "Mannish Boy." Frankly, I'll take "Mannish Boy" over this one. Not that this is bad, it's just that Muddy did it better.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green [1972]
This is about as close to perfection as songs get. Al never came close to making its equal. So soulful, so emotional, so beautiful.
2. "Come Together" - The Beatles [1969]
Fantastic song by the Fab Four, with some excellent spacy lyrics, but in this case, that actually is what does this song in: the lyrics. "Walrus gumboot"? "Joo-joo eyeball"? Proof that at this point in their career, the boys could do no wrong. Still, great song, especially in the solo.
3. "Wabash Cannonball" - Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys [1947]
I'm absolutely stunned that I'm not putting this song — a country song from the '40s — in the bottom spot, but for some reason I actually kinda like it. Maybe I've just watched too many Big 12 college football games, and I'm more used to hearing this in marching band format.
4. "Over and Over" - Hot Chip [2006]
Speaking of dance music that the indie kids love... I've only heard one Hot Chip song that I like, and this isn't it. (For the record, it's "Playboy.")

1. "The Loco-Motion" - Little Eva [1962]
For me, when I think of this song, I think of going to one of those '50s-themed diners when I was really little and "The Loco-Motion" came on the jukebox. I've always loved this song, but this must have sounded dated even when it came out in '62.
2. "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson [1937]
Robert Johnson is one of those artists who I respect more than I appreciate. I'm sure the guy was an innovator, but it's not easy for someone like me to listen to his stuff now, after guys like B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, and others have done much more with the guitar. Still, in a bracket like this, SHTB2.
3. "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music [1972]
Another artist who I respect more than I appreciate. I've only heard one RM song that I actually like, and unfortunately, "More Than This" is not in Bracketology. But really, choosing between the bottom three for me is like flipping a coin.
4. "Arnold Layne" - Pink Floyd [1967]
I can't really say I'm a fan of PF's pre-"Dark Side" stuff. But SHTB4.

1. "Work It" - Missy Elliott [2002]
I'm always hesitant to put recent music (read: stuff from this decade) in the upper echelon of great music. I always wonder if doing so isn't just a little too hasty. This song is a perfect example of my hesitancy. Is this really the 169th-greatest song ever? Acclaim aside, I just couldn't see myself putting this song that high on a list of the "greatest of all time." Really speaks to the power of some backward-masked vocals. That said, there is a reason why I'm putting it #1 in this bracket: it's a hell of a lot of fun. The video isn't too shabby either.
2. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations [1971]
Nothing against the Temptations, but the laconic, laid-back feel of this actually works against it here. Great song, but it's almost like they want to put me to sleep with this one.
3. "Keep On Movin'" - Soul II Soul [1989]
It gets down to these last two songs, and I really don't feel one way or the other about either of them. I'm putting this one above Glen Campbell not because of any extraordinary feelings toward "Keep On Movin'," but because...
4. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - Glen Campbell [1968]
...this one has a little bit of a detraction for me. While "Wichita Lineman" was campy in a good way, this one just feels campy in a bad way. It's an interesting story, that this guy is leaving his woman, but I just don't care.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio [2006]
This was the first TVotR song I ever heard, and it definitely got me thinking that the band was a harder band than they actually are. I still haven't made it all the way through "Return to Cookie Mountain," but everything I've heard is absolutely brilliant, and this song is the pinnacle.
2. "Good Lovin'" - The Young Rascals [1966]
Yes, it's poppy and cheesy. Yes, it's been used in just about every movie ever made. Yes, the message is fairly simplistic: the guy just needs a good lay. But for whatever reason, I love this song. It's so much fun! And when I hear that opening "1! 2! 3!", I know I'm sticking around.
3. "Brown Sugar" - The Rolling Stones [1971]
What can you say about a song that is as popular as this one, in spite of its obvious racial overtones? Yes, it's a good song, but I can't say that it's a "great" song.
4. "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley [1970]
Hauntingly beautiful song, but I just can't get into it and enjoy it the way I do for the other three songs in this bracket.

1. "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott [2001]
What was that I was saying about overrating recent music? If "Work It" is too high at #169, this one is definitely too high at #70. And yet... WHY THE HELL DO I LOVE THIS SONG? As much as I love Missy's lyrics here (only a woman would have the balls to put a spitting sound effect in her song), it's gotta be Timbaland's production. That eastern-sounding hook (is that a sitar?) gives this one a certain exotic feel. Love it.
2. "Everybody's Talkin'" - Nilsson [1968]
For the longest time, my only exposure to this song was its inclusion on the "Forrest Gump" soundtrack, and it always struck me as just an "okay" song. Then I saw "Midnight Cowboy," and I got it. In the context of the movie, this song reaches transcendence. It sounds so cheery, but the message is deceptively depressing.
3. "Dream On" - Aerosmith [1973]
Great classic rock song, but if I never heard it again, I wouldn't feel like I was missing out on anything. In fact, when it comes up on my favorites playlist, I usually end up skipping over it. 'Nuff said.
4. "Sucker M.C.'s" - Run-D.M.C. [1984]
I just had a realization: I'm not a Run-D.M.C. fan. I probably should be, but I'm not. I'm also not a real fan of early (read: pre-1988) rap music.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters [1960]
What a brutal bracket. I love all four here. Something had to be #1, and Muddy gets the nod. The live version of this song from "At Newport" is so perfect. Raucous, rowdy, and fun. Always makes me want to get MY mojo working! BBBBBBRRRRRRR!
2. "Ghost Town" - The Specials [1981]
God, it hurts to put this one at #2. I really have no reason for putting this one below the #1 spot, but I just love Muddy's too much. FTW, how many other people hear the intro to this song and think "Shaun of the Dead"?
3. "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin [1959]
God, it hurts to put this one at #3, but it just isn't as strong as "Mojo" or "Ghost Town." Which is saying a LOT, because this is one hell of a song. This would win a lot of other brackets (Tchaikovsky 15 this week!), but it's just a victim of unlucky placement.
4. "1234" - Feist [2007]
The first time I heard this one, I remember thinking that it was pleasant enough, but not that great. I've since upgraded it to a five-star song on my iTunes, but I can't help but feel like I've given it that rating not because I love it but because I'm supposed to love it. Still, I'm always impressed with Feist's counting abilities: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10!

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5

1. T. Rex- "20th Centry Boy": These past few weeks have revealed to me that I probably underrate T. Rex's contribution to glam. I tend to prefer the artier glam championed by David Bowie and Roxy Music, but it is evident that T. Rex had some really excellent singles, of which this is one. Rock on, Lady Stardust.
2. Martha & the Vandellas- "Dancing in the Street": Speaking of Bowie, it's a shame that he and Mick Jagger hijacked this song, because the original is actually quite good- instant, fun and disposable as a lot of great pop should be.
3. Bobbie Gentry- "Ode to Billie Joe": Now this is the kind of country that I prefer- simple and subtle, with actual mystery left in the lyrics and with the twang toned all the way down to zero. I actually could have ranked this higher in other brackets, which is quite shocking to me.
4. Nelly Furtado- "Maneater": Nelly ruins a decent Timbaland production with her nasal cords. Her "vocals" are enough to make we want to flee the room screaming.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10

1. Justice- "D.A.N.C.E.": There's something very exciting about the buzzing synths flying around in Justice's music. They add a dark edge to an album that is sometimes spiritual and often rather upbeat in stance. This song garnered all of the attention- a veritable celebration complete with dueling whirlwind synths and funk bass. If that isn't a recipe for a Moonbeam Number 1, I don't know what is.
2. The Stooges- "I Wanna Be Your Dog": Menacing, relentless and sexually tense, this song is a great example of the early Stooges sound. That single piano note that is pounded throughout the duration of the song really adds to the tension, while the growling riff takes no prisoners. It's a shame this song is against Justice here.
3. Peggy Lee- "Fever": An homage to the impetus of love throughout the ages, this song has become quite the standard. It's nice, but it just can't compete against the two titans ahead of it.
4. Bo Diddley- "I'm a Man": This is probably the best song I've ranked number 4 this week. Sorry, Bo!

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5

1. Al Green- "Let's Stay Together": The key to this song for me comes at the end of the first verse, when the key changes as Al sings "Whatever you want to do, is alright with meeeee". It transforms what sounds like a solid soul song into a classic. It's funny how a single key change can have such an emotional impact, and while this may sound like a feeble reason to elevate a song to the Number 1 slot, I'm not arguing with my heart on this one.
2. Hot Chip- "Over and Over": Hot Chip are another example of a band I like better in theory than in practice- I've got both of their albums, but outside of "My Piano", I've never really fallen for them. Still, this is quite nice electro-geek music.
3. The Beatles- "Come Together": The groove makes this one of the better Beatles songs for me, but that's about all I can latch onto.
4. Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys- "Wabash Cannonball": Remember what I said about the kind of country I prefer? This isn't it. This makes me wish I was deaf for the 3 minutes of its duration.

1. Roxy Music- "Virginia Plain": Glam wins again, and by a long shot! The opening side of the augmented Roxy Music album is the most exciting opening side of music of the 70s, in my opinion, showcasing immense diversity and talent. "Virginia Plain" features some of Ferry's best psychobabble over the top of one of the most danceable riffs of the 70s and Eno's irresistible tape effects. Song of the week? You'd better believe it!
2. Robert Johnson- "Hellhound on My Trail": I'm not much of a blues man, but this sounds pretty good to these ears.
3. Little Eva- "The Loco-Motion": Another silly dance craze that chugged up the charts a few times, also notably by my beloved Kylie (although I don't like her version). It's a little slice of fun, but it's slightly too peurile for me.
4. Pink Floyd- "Arnold Layne": I haven't heard a single song by Pink Floyd that I can tolerate.

1. Missy Elliott- "Work It": While Under Construction was largely a disappointment, especially in the wake of Miss E... So Addictive, which I'll anoint as the greatest rap record of the 2000s, "Work It" still saw Missy at the peak of her twisted and playful powers.
2. The Temptations- "Just My Imagination": Sleepy breezy soul of the early 70s, this song is a real comfort. My favorite version of it (surprise, surprise) comes from a Prince bootleg from a live aftershow from 1988. Prince turns this song on its head with some unbelievable guitar carnage that made Lovesexy such an exciting era, becoming one of Prince's most legendary live performances, so much so that it's become one of those moments that people are eager to claim to have witnessed. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself!
3. Soul II Soul- "Keep on Movin'": I never thought this song deserved the hubbub that it got, especially with the gigantic "Back to Life" on the same album. It's a good song, but not a great one, to me at least.
4. Glen Campbell- "By the Time I Get to Phoenix": Another entry in the type of country songs I prefer, but it still isn't something I ever feel the need to revisit.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15

1. TV on the Radio- "Wolf Like Me": This song sure feels like an epic, doesn't it? I bought Return to Cookie Mountain three years ago, but never listened to it more than once. Clearly, I should dig it out again.
2. Tim Buckley- "Song to a Siren": I hadn't heard this before, but there's a sadness in the delivery that resonates with me right now.
3. The Rolling Stones- "Brown Sugar": A little lascivious controversy never hurt anybody, even if I can't bring myself to repeat this song many times.
4. The Young Rascals- "Good Lovin'": It's been hijacked by advertisers, which has ruined it for me. It sounds much better on its own, but I can't help but feel like they're trying to sell me a burger.

1. Aerosmith- "Dream On": Much like The Doors, Aerosmith seems to be a band whose reputation oscillates in cycles- for a few years they are legends, for another few years, everybody bags on them. It's too bad, because they're pretty wonderful- they define the quintessential "rock and roll" band for me, and "Dream On" is part of the reason why- the buildup is classically 70s-epic, and the chorus delivers on its promise. Still, my favorite will always be "Janie's Got a Gun", a permanent fixture among my top 100 songs ever.
2. Missy Elliott- "Get Your Freak On": For as much love as this song gets, I can think of at least 7 I like better on Miss E... So Addictive, which speaks to the incredible strength of the album. It's a shame that her acclaim has resulted in some hostility here, because she is, bar none, the most inventive and exciting thing to happen to rap for in the last 15 years- eat your hearts out, OutKast!
3. Run DMC- "Sucker M.C.'s": It's quite funny that Run DMC are paired with Aerosmith in this bracket! This is a bit too minimal for me, but it's still a blast.
4. Nilsson- "Everybody's Talkin'": This is acclaimed?

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12

1. The Specials- "Ghost Town": To date, the only Specials song that I've heard that I like. Ska, much like reggae, doesn't do it for me. However, the eerie synth that permeates throughout the song creates such a spooky, nocturnal atmosphere that I just adore every last moment of it.
2. Muddy Waters- "Got My Mojo Working": I quite like these dancier, more upbeat blues jaunts!
3. Feist- "1234": The folkiness is normally something that would turn my stomach, but her voice is so lovely that I can't help but somewhat enjoy this song.
4. Bobby Darin- "Mack the Knife": Next, please.

Moonbeam

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5

1. Al Green- "Let's Stay Together": The key to this song for me comes at the end of the first verse, when the key changes as Al sings "Whatever you want to do, is alright with meeeee". It transforms what sounds like a solid soul song into a classic. It's funny how a single key change can have such an emotional impact, and while this may sound like a feeble reason to elevate a song to the Number 1 slot, I'm not arguing with my heart on this one.
2. Hot Chip- "Over and Over": Hot Chip are another example of a band I like better in theory than in practice- I've got both of their albums, but outside of "My Piano", I've never really fallen for them. Still, this is quite nice electro-geek music.
3. The Beatles- "Come Together": The groove makes this one of the better Beatles songs for me, but that's about all I can latch onto.
4. Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys- "Wabash Cannonball": Remember what I said about the kind of country I prefer? This isn't it. This makes me wish I was deaf for the 3 minutes of its duration.

Am I seeing things here? A Moonbeam vote with the Beatles not at #4.

Dangerous start to that rachmaninoff group - Work It #1 twice. Hopefully it will turn around...

Midaso
Dangerous start to that rachmaninoff group - Work It #1 twice. Hopefully it will turn around...

Just get a bunch of people to start voting! Last week was the lowest in terms of turnout.

Midaso
Moonbeam

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5

Am I seeing things here? A Moonbeam vote with the Beatles not at #4.

I actually put them at number 2 in a bracket a few weeks ago.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. Dancing in the Street - Just classic. Not my favorite, but the best in this bracket. Weak bracket, by the way.
2. 20th Century Boy
3. Ode to Billie Joe
4. Maneater

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. D.A.N.C.E. - Are you sure this isn't from 1977? Sounds pretty retro, but I like it a lot.
2. I'm A Man
3. I Wanna Be Your Dog
4. Fever

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. Let's Stay Together - Seriously great song. Love the harmony and lyrics. Al Green's voice is timeless.
2. Come Together
3. Over and Over
4. Wabash Cannonball

1. Arnold Layne - I really think this is the best song here. The other songs are too simple and forgettable. Weak bracket though.
2. Virginia Plain
3. Hellhound on My Trail
4. The Loco-Motion

1. Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me) - Easily the best song here. There is something just timeless about The Temptations and their songwriting.
2. Keep on Movin'
3. Work It
4. By the Time I Get to Phoenix

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. Brown Sugar - Gotta go with the Stones. This is one of their okay songs in my opinion, but it easily wins this bracket.
2. Good Lovin'
3. Wold Like Me
4. Song to the Siren

1. Dream On - A lot of times you forget that Aerosmith's songwriting is right up there with the best when they're on their A game. This is one of those times.
2. Everybody's Talkin'
3. Sucker M.C.'s
4. Get Ur Freak On

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. Ghost Town - Such a great song. Everybody's heard it. I could listen to this song forever. Shaun of the Dead, anyone?
2. Got My Mojo Working
3. Mack the Knife - There should be more songs about serial killers. I'm just saying.
4. 1234

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Dancing in the Street" - Martha & the Vandellas [1965]
2. "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex [1973]
3. "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado [2006]
4. "Ode to Billie Joe" - Bobbie Gentry [1967]

I'm a gigantic Martha & the Vandellas fan. It has that iconic intro with the horns, and then just the perfect voice...just love it.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "I'm a Man" - Bo Diddley [1955]
2. "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice [2007]
3. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges [1969]
4. "Fever" - Peggy Lee [1958]

I had never heard any of these songs before, so I'm going with first impressions on all of these. And Bo Diddley is just Bo Diddley, and everything he does rocks, so that appealed to me first.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Come Together" - The Beatles [1969]
2. "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green [1972]
3. "Over and Over" - Hot Chip [2006]
4. "Wabash Cannonball" - Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys [1947]

Come Together is either my first or second favorite Beatles song (I can't decide whether this or Let It Be is better.) The song is just like a psycho freak-out yet still under control somehow. To me, its like a protest song about the new generation taking over. And as much as I love Let's Stay Together, nothing beats Come Together.

1. "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson [1937]
2. "Arnold Layne" - Pink Floyd [1967]
3. "The Loco-Motion" - Little Eva [1962]
4. "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music [1972]

Hellhound on my Trail isn't Robert Johnson's best song, though many of them do sound alike. This is again a weak bracket for me, and I love old blues records, so that wins.

1. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations [1971]
2. "Keep on Movin'" - Soul II Soul [1989]
4. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - Glen Campbell [1968]
3. "Work It" - Missy Elliott [2002]

Later Temptations are a bit too...smooth for me than compared to the 60s work. But I can't deny that Just My Imagination is a great song.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
2. "Good Lovin'" - The Young Rascals [1966]
3. "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley [1970]
4. "Brown Sugar" - The Rolling Stones [1971]

Wolf like Me is a very raw sound, like a wild animal, even when it slows down for a bit near the end. That's what I like about it. Good Lovin' is one of those happy 60's songs that I like, but Wolf Like Me just has that "it" factor about it.

1. "Everybody's Talkin'" - Nilsson [1968]
2. "Sucker M.C.'s" - Run-D.M.C. [1984]
3. "Dream On" - Aerosmith [1973]
4. "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott [2001]

This song was really made by the movie Midnight Cowboy. They complement each other so well. And this is the 2nd Missy Elliott song to be 4th. I can't stand her.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin [1959]
2. "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters [1960]
3. "Ghost Town" - The Specials [1981]
4. "1234" - Feist [2007]

Mack the Knife is just a classic. What Bobby Darin did with this song is bring that big band sound back to pop music, even if it didn't start a new revolution, it definitely made a lasting impact on rock n roll. It expanded what it could be.

Gotta be brief this week:

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Ode to Billie Joe" - Bobbie Gentry [1967]
2. "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex [1973]
3. "Dancing in the Street" - Martha & the Vandellas [1965]

A very, very mediocre bracket, with not much separating 2 from 4. "Ode to Billie Joe" is pretty powerful stuff for such a huge hit so that gets #1, even though it's not an all-time fave or anything.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges [1969]
2. "Fever" - Peggy Lee [1958]
3. "I'm a Man" - Bo Diddley [1955]
4. "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice [2007]

"I Wanna Be Your Dog" is fantastic in its relentlessness. Again, not much separating 2-4 for me. I don't like Justice nearly as much as Daft Punk.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
2. "Wabash Cannonball" - Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys [1947]
3. "Over and Over" - Hot Chip [2006]
4. "Come Together" - The Beatles [1969]

Al Green destroys the competition here. "Boy from School" is far far better than "Over and Over" IMO. "Come Together" almost moves up due to Paul and Ringo's performances alone, but really it's such a bullshit song.

1. "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson [1937]
2. "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music [1972]

I'd actually say that "Hellhound" IS Johnson's best track ... pretty scary stuff. "Virginia Plain" is also fantastic, and I'm sad to have it at 2.

1. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations [1971]
2. "Work It" - Missy Elliott [2002]
3. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - Glen Campbell [1968]
4. "Keep on Movin'" - Soul II Soul [1989]

Weird bracket, all "good" songs to me. The Tempts classic ballad just beats Missy's boundary-pushing in the end. And I love "Wichita Lineman", but just cannot escape what a cad the narrator of "Phoenix" truly is.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley [1970]
2. "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio [2006]
4. "Good Lovin'" - The Young Rascals [1966]

Easy win for Buckley's ethereal perfection. TVOTR have done better, though that's still a fine track. "Brown Sugar" may just be my least favorite thing on Sticky Fingers, and "Good Lovin'" is intolerable.

1. "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott [2001]
3. "Sucker M.C.'s" - Run-D.M.C. [1984]
4. "Dream On" - Aerosmith [1973]

VERY tough bracket. This time Missy's best groundbreaking track just beats Nilsson's fantastic rambler manifesto. Run-D.M.C.'s hits are all great, though this a little less so, and even though I generally loathe Aerosmith I will admit that "Dream On" has its merits.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
3. "1234" - Feist [2007]
4. "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin [1959]

Good lord the brackets were tough this week; I like these 4 almost equally. In the end I placed Muddy's best over the Specials' best, though give Feist props for her perfect pop confection and Darin for taking a song about a heinous murderer and making it SWING.

HAYDN 5
1. DANCING IN THE STREETS. Takes a mediocre bracket. Martha & the Vandellas seemed to be working a little too hard at having fun (see also: Madonna, Chili Peppers, Kelis, Rihanna), but the effort pays off here.
2. 20TH CENTURY BOY
3. ODE TO BILLIE JOE. After one fully digests the narrative trick here, I don’t know that we’re left with much.
4. MANEATER

VIVALDI 10. Strong, strong group.
1. I’M A MAN. Still haven’t found a good reason not to vote for Bo Diddley. The most underrated musical genius of the fifties.
2. I WANNA BE YOUR DOG. Hate to put this at #2; it’s more like #1a for me. Iggy makes the scene and drives a spike right through puppy love.
3. FEVER
4. D.A.N.C.E. Great dance track ruined for me by incredibly irritating Children’s Television Workshop vocals.

BACH 5. Chalk 5.
1. LET’S STAY TOGETHER. In retrospect, Al certainly wasn’t the most jaw-dropping talent ever seen. But this smooth groove here is impossible to resist.
2. OVER AND OVER. Glad to see that geek rock is still alive and well.
3. COME TOGETHER. John deconstructs Chuck Berry. Only problem is you get the feeling that by 1969, he could do stuff like this with one hand tied behind his back.
4. WABASH CANNONBALL. Nice, but out of its league here.

TCHAIKOVSKY 15
1. VIRGINIA PLAIN. No other band in 1972 was hitting on all cylinders like Roxy Music. Bryan & Brian made great music together, and this is a signal example.
2. THE LOCO-MOTION
3. HELLHOUND ON MY TRAIL
4. ARNOLD LAYNE

RACHMANINOFF 11. Don’t really much care for any of these.
1. JUST MY IMAGINATION (RUNNING AWAY WITH ME). Don’t really much care for any song in this bracket, but prime-period Temps is always a good bet.
2. WORK IT. Of Missy’s songs in the top 200, this is the better one.
3. BY THE TIME I GET TO PHOENIX
4. KEEP ON MOVIN’

WAGNER 15
1. GOOD LOVIN’. I’m surprising myself with this pick. “Brown Sugar” is fun, but not great Stones, “Song to the Siren” is pretty but not my cuppa, and “Wolf Like Me” is just an OK track from a pretty darn good album. With no other obvious contender, I’ll fall back on really sweet party music.
2. BROWN SUGAR
3. SONG TO THE SIREN
4. WOLF LIKE ME

TCHAIKOVSKY 8
1. SUCKER M.C.’S. Run, D.M.C. and Jam Master Jay put a period to old-school rap with a song that, typically, and defiantly, straddles aggression, killer beats, and a bit of pop sensibility.
2. DREAM ON
3. EVERYBODY’S TALKIN’
4. GET UR FREAK ON

HAYDN 12
1. GOT MY MOJO WORKING. Last week, I said that Muddy did much better than “Rollin’ Stone,” and here’s proof. The most propulsive interpretation of 12-bar blues I can imagine.
2. GHOST TOWN
3. 1234
4. MACK THE KNIFE. Brecht and Weill should have sued.

Matt Schroeder

I'm sure the guy was an innovator, but it's not easy for someone like me to listen to his stuff now, after guys like B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, and others have done much more with the guitar. Still, in a bracket like this, SHTB2.

Matt, I understand that prewar music is not easy to listen to when your ears are not accostumed to that sound. But when you say that Clapton or BB King did "much more with a guitar" I don't subscribe to this point of view (like a blonde once said).
They just made a little more noise, but I can tell you that RJ's technique is astonishing and very hard to get : alternating bass, rhythmic patterns and solos with ONE acoustic guitar while singing with such an intensity is pretty tough; he just mixed the rough Delta sound of Charley Patton and Son House with more a sophisticated, urban playing of his idol Lonnie Johnson.
I think Eric, Jimi and BB would agree. Clapton even did a whole album of Robert Johnson covers.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5 : two masterpieces
1 "Dancing in the Street" - Martha & the Vandellas [1965] : to me, THE ultimate Motown song,
2 "Ode to Billie Joe" - Bobbie Gentry [1967] : great southern song, great French version by Joe dassin
3 "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex [1973]
4 "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado [2006] : what's that ?

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10 weak bracket !!
1 "Fever" - Peggy Lee [1958] : huge song, huge performance, the 3 others are decent
2 "I'm a Man" - Bo Diddley [1955]
3"D.A.N.C.E." - Justice [2007]
4 "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges [1969]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5 : excellent bracket
1 "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green [1972] : is there anything that sounds better than a good Memphis soul song ? Even outshines the Beatles
2 "Come Together" - The Beatles [1969]
3 "Wabash Cannonball" - Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys [1947] :
Roy Acuff
was a giant . I love these old train songs.
4 "Over and Over" - Hot Chip [2006] : cool dance song, but doesn't stand a chance against the 3 giants above

1 "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson [1937] : and it's not even my favourite RJ song !! Heads and shoulders above the other 3
2 "The Loco-Motion" - Little Eva [1962]
3: "Arnold Layne" - Pink Floyd [1967]
4 "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music [1972]

RACHMANINOFF BLOC, BRACKET 11 : weak bracket
1 "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - Glen Campbell [1968] : I love GC, his sound, it's top-notch Nashville country-pop
2 "Work It" - Missy Elliott [2002]
3 "Keep on Movin'" - Soul II Soul [1989]
4 "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations [1971]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15 : a tough one, everything here is good stuff
1 "Brown Sugar" - The Rolling Stones [1971] : not their best, but still rules this bracket. Great riff
2 "Good Lovin'" - The Young Rascals [1966] : great blue-eyed soul
3: "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley [1970]
4 "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio [2006]

1 "Everybody's Talkin'" - Nilsson [1968] : funny week where all there seems to be is rap-pop and country-pop. Love everything about that song : the movie, the guitar picking hook. This music may sound cheesy and dated to a lot of Americans, but for a froggy likes me it's almost world music !! exotic
2 "Dream On" - Aerosmith [1973]
3"Sucker M.C.'s" - Run-D.M.C. [1984]
4 "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott [2001]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12 : excellent bracket to end with. A blues giant , 2 pop gems, and a good nu-folk song

1 "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters [1960] : just like schleuse, I told you Muddy could do way better than "Rollin Stone"; caught here live with Otis Spann on piano and James Cotton on harp, he's just a roller coaster.
2"Ghost Town" - The Specials [1981] : one of my favourite songs of the 80's
3 "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin [1959] : to see such a song at number 3 says a lot of this bracket's quality
4 "1234" - Feist [2007]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Ode to Billie Joe" - Bobbie Gentry [1967]: One of the spookiest, most strikingly written and arranged songs ever to become such a massive hit. People have been debating exactly what happened on that bridge for 42 years, but it’s the accumulation of subtle details rather than the facile mystery that makes it such an enduring record.
2. "Dancing in the Street" - Martha & the Vandellas [1965]: Quite possibly the most ubiquitous and overplayed of the classic Motown hits, but if you can still listen to it on its own terms (and try to forget David Bowie bellowing “South A-MER-ica!”) it holds up wonderfully.
3. "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex [1973]: Again, like last week’s “Telegram Sam,” another typical product of the Bolan hit machine, albeit a little crunchier than most.
4. "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado [2006]: Good ear candy but an easy #4 here.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges [1969]: To a certain extent, punk starts here. Kind of ends here, too. Rock ‘n’ roll stripped down to its brutal essence, both lyrically and musically. With sleigh bells.
2. "I'm a Man" - Bo Diddley [1955]: Speaking of the essence of rock ‘n’ roll… Groundbreaking stuff that hasn’t really dated at all.
3. "Fever" - Peggy Lee [1958]: Most covers of Fifties R&B songs by white artists notoriously bleached all the life and sensuality out of them. Here’s the glorious exception. Lee gets what makes Little Willie John’s song special, and also gets that it would be even more effective sung by the right woman.
4. "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice [2007]: SH2B4. A great dance/rock/pop record that I suspect I’ll like even more the more I listen to it.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green [1972]: A particularly easy #1 pick. Green’s string of hits in this period was uniformly extraordinary, but even in such stellar company this one is the clear standout. There’s nothing about this record – from Al Jackson’s just-behind-the-beat drumming to Al’s exquisitely tossed-off asides – that isn’t brilliant.
2. "Come Together" - The Beatles [1969]: As in-the-pocket funky as they ever got, with a uniquely spare and spacious groove that, even considering the Beatles’ eclecticism, doesn’t sound like anything else in their catalog.
3. "Over and Over" - Hot Chip [2006]: Fun, but not as good as “Boy from School” and a particularly easy #3.
4. "Wabash Cannonball" - Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys [1947]: Early non-Hank country is one of my blind spots, sorry.

1. "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson [1937]: Johnson is such a towering artist that it seems silly to have him compete in a game like this (that said, I doubt he has this bracket in the bag, not by a long shot). This song was chosen to end the original KING OF THE DELTA BLUES collection with good reason – it’s more or less the last word on this kind of blues.
2. "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music [1972]: A great, mad, kitchen-sink whirl of a single, packed with so much stuff it’s like they were worried they’d never get to make another record. No, I haven’t got a clue what it’s about, either.
3. "The Loco-Motion" - Little Eva [1962]: Goffin and King were such effortless, hooks-tossed-off-in-our-sleep tunesmiths that they could even write an instant-classic #1 smash for their damn babysitter. You hear this, you’re compelled to move.
4. "Arnold Layne" - Pink Floyd [1967]: The follow-up to “See Emily Play” isn’t nearly as good, but Barrett deserves praise for being ballsy enough to get something this surpassingly weird released as a single.

1. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations [1971]: Sheer gossamer perfection, one of the most beautiful ballads ever recorded. A great bookend to the next year’s hard-edged “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone,” and easily Eddie Kendricks’s finest moment.
2. "Work It" - Missy Elliott [2002]: A hilariously, jaw-droppingly in-your-face record. Just when you think Missy can’t possibly go any further (wait, shave my WHAT? wait, is that a radio edit or is that bleating elephant noise actually part of the song?), she does and then some. I don’t know what’s more amazing, that she actually slips into fake pidgin-Chinese or that it actually works.
3. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - Glen Campbell [1968]: It’s no “Wichita Lineman,” that’s for sure, but the end of each verse has the kind of chord changes that keep me coming back. And it did inspire Isaac Hayes’ astonishing cover, which would be a lot higher in any bracket if it were in this game.
4. "Keep on Movin'" - Soul II Soul [1989]: Not much to say here. I get its popularity but it doesn’t do anything for me.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley [1970]: Now THIS is a bracket! Wow! I love all four of these songs, and I initially had this one at #3; but like the siren itself, something about Buckley’s brilliantly otherworldly ballad keeps calling me back. In the midst of the chaotic experimentalism of STARSAILOR, this simple but stunning song stands as an oasis of uneasy calm. P.S.: Jeff always insisted he wasn’t influenced in the slightest by his father. He lied.
2. "Brown Sugar" - The Rolling Stones [1971]: This week’s motif seems to be “unusually ballsy singles”; you can almost picture the Glimmer Twins saying, “Let’s create a riff and a catchy chorus so indelible that it’ll go to #1 before anyone even realizes that the song is a paean to interracial sex that invokes the era of slavery! Oh, and while we’re at it let’s bring in Bobby Keys to record the greatest rock ‘n’ roll sax solo of all time.” Because it is.
3. "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio [2006]: TVotR’s reputation as a dauntingly cerebral band – which they are – does a serious disservice to the fact that most of their songs are full of memorable hooks. This one, the centerpiece of RETURN TO COOKIE MOUNTAIN, is the most immediately accessible.
4. "Good Lovin'" - The Young Rascals [1966]: SH2B4, dammit. Yes, it’s as overexposed as any oldie can be, but I make no apology for loving it.

1. "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott [2001]: An odd bracket; I like all of these songs, but I can’t say I have truly strong feelings about any of them. Missy and Timbo’s (and they really are on equal footing here, much like Eric B. and Rakim – Missy’s missing from pretty much the whole second half) trippily minimalistic track is the standout by default for its sheer originality.
2. "Dream On" - Aerosmith [1973]: I should come up with an acronym for “another classic-rock-warhorse-I’ve-never-gotten-tired-of,” but it would be too cumbersome.
3. "Sucker M.C.'s" - Run-D.M.C. [1984]: Classic early hip-hop, but I can’t say it really stands out even in their own catalog.
4. "Everybody's Talkin'" - Nilsson [1968]: As I said in my comments on “Without You,” it’s one of the great ironies that a songwriter as gifted as Nilsson had his two biggest hits with other people’s songs. His version of the Fred Neil song owes its status entirely to its use in MIDNIGHT COWBOY; it’s a decent record, but nothing special.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "Ghost Town" - The Specials [1981]: A real Bracketology discovery for me; thanks to its status as a non-album single and the fact that it wasn’t a hit in the States, I had never heard the song before the first version of Bracketology, but now the more I listen the more I love it. A brilliant arrangement supporting great, tough lyrics.
2. "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin [1959]: Darin was some kind of genius; somehow, a brashly Sinatra-style big-band arrangement of a German art song about a serial killer managed to score NINE WEEKS at #1 on the U.S. charts. Unlike anything that surrounded it on the radio, then or now, and that’s why it will live forever. Look out, Miss-a Lotte Len-ya!
3. "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters [1960]: Iconic, commanding blues; if I was more into the genre it’d probably rank higher.
4. "1234" - Feist [2007]: Another case of SH2B4, although I’m not the world’s biggest Feist fan. Helped by one of the more brilliant videos of recent years.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
#570: "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex [1973] : one of T. Rex best songs with Cosmic Dancer, not awesome but good enough for this bracket. By the way the manga named 20th century boys is pretty good
#967: "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado [2006] : makes you feel like a bird and want to fly away... far away

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
#211: "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice [2007] : good bracket and it feels strange not to put a Stooges classic on first post but D.A.N.C.E. is one of the best thing to happen to the dancefloor since MJ

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
#450: "Over and Over" - Hot Chip [2006] : it's almost impossible to compare songs that different as Over and Over and Let's Stay Together, one perfect love ballad and one perfect dance track. But I really love that "geek dance" scene of the 00s, give me LCD, !!! and Hot Chip anytime.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
#357: "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio [2006] : there is something shamanic on that song, the relentless drumming and that inhabited voice
#869: "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley [1970] : a lesson of songwriting, This Mortal Coil's cover might even have taken the first spot

#443: "Dream On" - Aerosmith [1973] : usually when you take a sample you try to either make it something new or improve it, Eminem, who is usually brillant for that, couldn't do it for this one. The reason ? It's already a marvelous, heart-rending and galvanizing song

I'm not sure I will find time to listen to all the songs of the 3 remaining brackets

You have 30 hours left to vote. So yes, there's still time for anyone to vote!

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
#967: "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado [2006]
When I saw this one on the list I groaned. But to my surprise, it's the best in this weak bracket. Even if the lyrics are annoyingly trite. I guess it's not that surprising. I think Put Out The Lights was a good song.
I think this was parodied directly in an SNL skit last year. Two people who sang about the humdrum events of the day, to this melody exactly. I see their point. The song is about suicide but it focuses more on the daily routines than addressing anything emotional about it. It also badly needs a chorus.
Well performed but bland pop song.
#570: "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex [1973]
Boring.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
I'm a MANG! I need to get more Bo Diddley stuff. I don't think I own any. (So I can be more of a MANG!)
Such coolness in such simplicity. I say we boycott the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame until they're in.
Cool moody vocal performance.
#211: "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice [2007]
Overhyped song. The Go Team did the same thing better in almost every song on TLS.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
Like I've said many times in this game. Not their best song, but it's still a Beatles song. The Beatles' B material beats most bands A.
Pretty good R&B song. Top 100 is surprising.
About as cheesy as you'd expect from this decade of this genre.
#450: "Over and Over" - Hot Chip [2006]
Meh. Passable song. I don't get what newer singles get critical acclaim. On a consistent album, it seems completely arbitrary which singles get hyped up.

#870: "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson [1937]
These 30's blues singers could express such an amazing amount of emotion with so little.
#155: "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music [1972]
Roxy Music is awesome.
#358: "The Loco-Motion" - Little Eva [1962]
I hate 'Everybody do these easy dance steps' songs. They're cheap and pedantic.
#667: "Arnold Layne" - Pink Floyd [1967]
Another Piper song? That album is everything cheesy about psychadelia.

#681: "Keep on Movin'" - Soul II Soul [1989]
What draws me into this song is the piano in the background, more than the vocals. No one aspect of the song is that great, but they all highlight each other so well. Six minutes is too long for it though.
#344: "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations [1971]
Nice laid back vocal harmonies.
#856: "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - Glen Campbell [1968]
A well written song, but the instrumentals are cheesy.
#169: "Work It" - Missy Elliott [2002]
Comes off as contrived and labored play to sell an image to a demographic. Might be a good song if it sounded a little more organic.

Three songs I would probably put in my top 100 of all time, in the same bracket!
WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
#357: "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio [2006]
This would be on my shortlist of songs to consider for best of the decade. It's dark, atmospheric, and there's a certain offbeat charisma about it that's irresistable. And the lyrics? "You're hot. Let's go eat people together." AWESOME.
#869: "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley [1970]
Tim Buckley's my favorite Moderately Acclaimed Poll discovery. Such weird, emotionally intense, dissonant folk songs. In any other bracket it would have easilly been my first place.
Almost everything the Rolling Stones did in this three or four year period is absurdly addictive to listen to. I'm sad this found a bracket I can't give it first place. It's a perfect blend of guitar driven rock and southern bluesiness.
Why did this awesome song have to fall into such a stacked bracket? Why couldn't it have been in the Backstreet Boys one? This is by far my favorite song so far that I put in fourth place.

#443: "Dream On" - Aerosmith [1973]
Good song with great guitar work. A little overrated.
Run DMC - Run of the mill rap. Nothing wrong with it, nothing special about it.
Pretty good song.
Another Missy Elliot song, another cheesy attempt to create memorability by brute force repetition.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
#602: "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters [1960]
Muddy Waters is another pre-Beatles great I've been neglecting just because he's in an era I haven't been exploring.
#90: "Ghost Town" - The Specials [1981]
Really good groove.
#935: "1234" - Feist [2007]
One of the better poppy songs of the last few years. Brimming with tenderness and sincerity, two things pop has NOT been brimming with in general.
#423: "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin [1959]
Bit too generic for 50's pop.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex [1973]
2. "Dancing in the Street" - Martha & the Vandellas [1965]
3. "Ode to Billie Joe" - Bobbie Gentry [1967]

This is a two-song bracket if there ever was one: the crunching riff and enjoyable straight-up rock of “20th Century Boy” and the sheer joy of “Dancing in the Street” absolutely maul the bottom two. “Ode to Billie Joe” strikes me as nothing special, and I’m completely miffed that critics gave any attention at all to something as bland and monotonous as “Maneater.”

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges [1969]
2. "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice [2007]

“I Wanna Be Your Dog” is one of the greatest straight-up rock songs of all time, storming through this bracket with its sheer energy and apocalyptic mood. “D.A.N.C.E.” is the kind of song that I wouldn’t mind hearing in a social situation, but I’d never listen to by myself. It’s still very good, and I can see why it has gained so much critical acclaim. I’ve always known the song “Fever” from incessant movie soundtrack usage, but I’ve never known who it was by until now. I like it, but it’s not close to the top two. “I’m a Man” is the kind of overly repetitive blues that I don’t like, making it an easy choice for fourth.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
"Over and Over" - Hot Chip [2006]
"Come Together" - The Beatles [1969]
"Wabash Cannonball" - Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys [1947]

This is one of the few brackets this week with a guaranteed winner. “Let’s Stay Together” is a soul classic that absolutely crushes the rest of the group. “Over and Over” was much better than I thought it would be on first listen, managing—despite the title—to avoid being overly repetitive. “Come Together” has to be one of the most overrated Beatles songs; while I appreciate the bass groove, it’s about absolutely nothing, and manages to wear out its welcome well before it ends. Whenever a song like “Wabash Cannonball” comes up in Bracketology, I always dismiss it by saying ‘it’s not my thing.’ I wish I had something else to say here, but unfortunately, I don’t.

1. "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music [1972]

I am reminded every time I listen to “Virginia Plain” why I need to listen to more Roxy Music. It sounds so unique and fresh even today, which is quite a feat for a 1972 song. “Hellhound” seems like something I would dislike, but I love the passion in Robert Johnson’s voice. “The Loco-Motion” is one of those songs that always appears in jukeboxes at the places that still have them, which makes since considering it sounds incredibly dated (I’m shocked it didn’t come out in the 50s). I want to like psychedelic-era Pink Floyd, but I guess I’ll have to accept that I just don’t—“Arnold Layne” sounds like a song the Kinks would have done much better.

1. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - Glen Campbell [1968]
2. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations [1971]
3. "Work It" - Missy Elliott [2002]
4. "Keep on Movin'" - Soul II Soul [1989]

We’ve reached week 13 of Bracketology, and this is absolutely the worst bracket I’ve encountered so far. I only placed the Glen Campbell song in first because I assume I’d like it if I listened to it again. After that, we’ve got one of the Temptations’ dullest hits, an incredibly boring mainstream-sounding R&B song ("Keep On Movin"), and the single most overrated song of this decade on AM . It doesn’t get much worse than this bracket as far as AM top 1000 songs are concerned.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
2. "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley [1970]
3. "Good Lovin'" - The Young Rascals [1966]
4. "Brown Sugar" - The Rolling Stones [1971]

After the week’s worst bracket comes, as you might expect, its best. “Wolf Like Me” is not only one of my favorite songs of the decade, but one of my all-time favorites—it’s indie rock at its absolute summit. “Song to the Siren” provided one of my best new discoveries of Bracketology so far; I’ll definitely give it a second listen. Nos. 3 and 4 are both very good (they would have easily taken first in the above bracket) but falter in the face of superior competition.

1. "Everybody's Talkin'" - Nilsson [1968]
2. "Dream On" - Aerosmith [1973]
3. "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott [2001]
4. "Sucker M.C.'s" - Run-D.M.C. [1984]

No standout from this bracket. Is it just me, or does “Everybody’s Talkin’” sound very similar to a Bob Dylan song? I assume that’s why I liked it on first listen. “Dream On” is probably the best thing Aerosmith ever did—those guitar fills at the end are certainly the highlight of Joe Perry’s career. “Get Ur Freak On,” like “Work It,” is puzzlingly overrated if slightly enjoyable. “Sucker M.C.’s” is an easy choice for last place; while I appreciate Run-D.M.C.’s influence, they can’t touch any of the major late-80s/early 90s hip-hop artists.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
3. "1234" - Feist [2007]
4. "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin [1959]

“Got My Mojo Working” absolutely blew me away—that has to be one of the top ten blues songs of all time. It storms through what turned out to be a surprisingly good bracket. I hated “Ghost Town” the first three or four times I heard it but liked it more this time around; I’m still baffled by its top 100 AM ranking though. “1234,” like “D.A.N.C.E., is nothing I would ever listen to but it’s quite the dance floor jam. “Mack the Knife” is good as far as that particular genre is concerned, but it’s way too dated to compete in this bracket.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "20th Century Boy" – An average bracket and this hard song with so much going on intrigues me.
2. "Dancing in the Street" – Wow never knew it was so acclaimed. In my mind a very good song that is not among Motown's best.
3. "Ode to Billie Joe" – Hey not bad and its country.
4. "Maneater" – Not a good combination. To me the good production is marred by the singing.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "D.A.N.C.E." - For me the strange vocals add to the great dance song rather than take away as in Maneater.
2. "I'm a Man" - Maybe my favourite blue song.
3. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" – Powerful for its time for sure, but wears a little thin.
4. "Fever" – Two 50s songs that are pretty good. I wonder what's up with me.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Over and Over" – Hadn't heard until this week and this is the most fantastic and fun out of the three great songs. Who knows maybe its the novelty when I've heard the other two many many times.
2. "Come Together" – Beatles aren't first for me here. An average Lennon/McCartney tune.
3. "Let's Stay Together" – For what it is about I don't see any cheese. Overall great.
4. "Wabash Cannonball" – Can't compete with the three strong songs above. Doesn't stand out as anything other than old country.

1. "Virginia Plain" – Really enjoy this and all else I've heard from them.
2. "Arnold Layne" – They seem so much more interesting back then.
3. "The Loco-Motion" – Disposable prescriptive song. No thanks.
4.  "Hellhound on My Trail" – Sounds too old and country.

1. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - This slice of pop goodness comes out ahead and makes the first version I knew, the Rolling Stone's, seem not much more than a parody.
2.  "Work It"  - Competed for the top spot, but Missy singing about this doesn't sit right.
3.  "By the Time I Get to Phoenix"  - Sounds bigger than the song really is.
4. "Keep on Movin'" – Mediocre and boring.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Brown Sugar" – Going with the AM order. Instantly recognizable and holds up. One of the best album openers.
2. "Wolf Like Me"  - Haven't ever paid attention to the words, but I wonder if the words are as cool as the signing and instruments.
3.  "Good Lovin'" – Fun and short.
4. "Song to the Siren" – A nice song, but that's it.

1. "Everybody's Talkin'" – I surprise myself again with this country sounding song taking the top. It just seems to go perfectly.
2. "Get Ur Freak On"  - Missy as a close 2 again, but I do like this song better than her other, but these songs seem too highly placed to me.
3.  "Dream On"  - Great song that starts out relaxed only to build to that pretty good scream.
4. "Sucker M.C.'s" – Doesn't sound interesting.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "1234" – First and second are close, but her sweet voice and the overall happy mood put this in first in a weak bracket.
2. "Got My Mojo Working"  - Another solid blues song. Two of the better ones this week with this and I'm a man.
3. "Ghost Town" – What the . Top 100?. Only heard it a few times and it has gone from horrible to not bad, but I hear an average dub song that they messed up. Only saved from fourth from
4. "Mack the Knife" -  If there is a popular genre I need to explore it would be the stuff similar to this. Songs like this are seem to be only about the surface.

HAYDN 5
1. "Dancing in the Street" - don't forget the motor city
2. "Ode to Billie Joe"
3. "Maneater"
4. "20th Century Boy"

VIVALDI 10
1. "D.A.N.C.E." - not as dope as "new jack" but a solid track
2. "I'm a Man"
3. "Fever"
4. "I Wanna Be Your Dog"

BACH 5
1. "Wabash Cannonball" - makes me wanna ramble!
2. "Let's Stay Together"
3. "Come Together"
4. "Over and Over"

TCHAIKOVSKY 15
1. "Hellhound on My Trail" - one of my faves and RJ's best, imo
2. "Virginia Plain"
3. "Arnold Layne"
4. "The Loco-Motion"

RACHMANINOFF 11
1. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - keep goin, keep goin, don't ever go back there. this time it's FOR REAL
2. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)"
3. "Keep on Movin'"
4. "Work It"

WAGNER 15
1. "Wolf Like Me" - amazing song from a very mediocre band
2. "Brown Sugar"
3. "Good Lovin'"
4. "Song to the Siren"

TCHAIKOVSKY 8
1. "Everybody's Talkin" - what a beautiful song
2. "Get Ur Freak On"
3. "Dream On"
4. "Sucker M.C.'s"

HAYDN 12
1. "Mack the Knife" - scarlet billows start to spread...now we're talkin!
2. "Got My Mojo Working"
3. "Ghost Town"
4. "1234"

Hope I'm not too late. I have no idea what time it is Pacific Time.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. Bobbie Gentry - Ode to Billie Joe
- What a fantastic story this song tells. The melody is beautiful as well, but the lyrics are worthy of a Nobel Prize.

2. T.Rex - 20th Century Boy
- Great glam.

3. Martha & the Vandellas - Dancing in the Streets
- Motown music is excellent, for most parts, and this is good, but not top notch. To me it's to stationary, it moves nowhere.

4. Nelly Furtado - Maneater
- I'm too old for this shit.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog
- It's so raw and simple. You feel you could have done this yourself, but you couldn't.

2. Peggy Lee - Fever
- Not very great, but this was a quite weak bracket. Funny lyrics, but too repetitive.

3. Bo Diddley - I'm a Man
- All these old blues songs sounds pretty much the same to me.

4. Justice - D.A.N.C.E.
- I'm a L.O.V.E.R., not a D.A.N.C.E.R.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. The Beatles - Come Together
- Not the best they made, but decent enough. Easy win in this bracket. Even the cover version I'm listening to on Spotify would win here.

2. Roy Acuff - Wabash Cannonball
- Unpretentious music. I don't listen to this kind of country, but it's jolly and sweet.

3. Al Green - Let's Stay Together
- It's a nice melody, but it is covered with some kind of smoochycoochy thing.

4. Hot Chip - Over and Over
- This decade prodused the worst most acclaimed music ever. Who'll care about this in another three years? Sucky vocals too.

1. Pink Floyd - Arnold Layne
- Pink Floyd turned into the world's most awful band, but they started out great.

2. Robert Johnson - Hellhound on My Trail
- I like it, but I'll probably need some more time listening to it to really love it. It's not exactly bubblegum.

3. Little Eva - The Loco-Motion
- It's a fun song, and describe-the-dance is a fun genre. My favorite is the Watusi, though.

4. Roxy Music - Virginia Plain
- I've never liked Roxy Music, I can't relate to that suitdressed schmuck they made to front this band.

1. Soul II Soul - Keep on Movin
- I can't possibly imagine there will be a weaker bracket. Placing this song as number one is a shock to me. I don't like it, but I hate it the least.

2. Glen Campbell - By the Time I Get to Phoenix
- The last time I said something negative about Glen Campbell, I was close to getting lynched, so I won't repeat it here. I'll rather say what I was asked to say: I just don't like it. Still, it gets 2nd, so I guess I'm off the hook this time.

3. The Temptations - Just My Imagination
- Ooof.. this makes my stomach turn.

4. Missy Elliott - Work It
- Noise, and not the pleasant kind of noise. This is the kind of cds I accidently break.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. Tim Buckley - Song to the Siren
- This I've got to check out more. What a beautiful song. I've heard it before, but that was years ago, and for some reason I wasn't impressed then.

2. The Young Rascals - Good Lovin'
- It's enjoyable, but not very. The refrain is good, but not the verses.

3. Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar
- I've always prefered the softer Stones melodies, and not these blues rock songs. I don't really enjoy this.

4. TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me
- Oh, 2006... what have you done to music..?

1. Aerosmith - Dream On
- Magnificent songs. When I first heard this I didn't believe it was Aerosmith, it didn't sound like the Aerosmith I knew. And then that buffoon Eminem used it to make himself rich, and all of a sudden everybody expect rapping during this brilliant piece of rock ballad.

2. Harry Nilsson - Everybody's Talkin
- I love Harry Nilsson, but he's got a big handful of better songs. Even Coconut is better, I think.

3. Run DMC - Sucker M.C.'s
- They are pioneers, and one of the most important groups of golden age hiphop, but I've never really gotten into them. I enjoy many other acts much more.

4. Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On
- God damn it, Missy Elliott.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. The Specials - Ghost Town
- I'll be surprised if this doesn't win. Definitely something different, but they're from Coventry so what else to expect.

2. Bobby Darin - Mack the Knife
- Charmeur pop, appealing to both grandmother, and grandson. Weirdly enough, there's pop music that sound like this now.

3. Feist - 1234
- My girlfriend is nagging in the background here, so I don't have time to comment on this one.

4. Muddy Waters - Got My Mojo Working
- No time for this one as well.

Ten hours left to vote! Hurry, hurry, hurry!

Maybe the best week in bracketology so far. 6 very good brackets.
HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
Good bracket. Battle of ladies
1. "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado [2006]
The mainstream pop songs of 00's are better than ones of 90's (or any decade since 60's). The crucial reason is producing. So I've liked many songs producaed by Timbaland, Pharrell etc. This song was one of the mainstream pop gems of the decade. There are maybe even better songs than Maneater by Rihanna, Gwen Stefani or Sugababes. But Nelly have more good hits than any of those other women artists and this is her best. So points to Nelly. By the way I hadn't heard the album version earlier. It's longer and maybe not as good as the single edit.
2. "Ode to Billie Joe" - Bobbie Gentry [1967]
3. "Dancing in the Street" - Martha & the Vandellas [1965]
4. "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex [1973]

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
Two amazing songs and two good songs.
1. "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice [2007] Lovely dance song. Very though choice turns to Justice after fourth listen this week. (and I don't know how many times I have listened to these songs overall.)
2. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges [1969] The godfather of punk as his most animal.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
Not among very good brackets.
1. "Over and Over" - Hot Chip [2006] Boy from the School was one of the best songs of 06. Nowadays my favourite from that album is Colours. And what about this song? Maybe not as fresh anymore. Still good.
2. "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green [1972]
3. "Come Together" - The Beatles [1969]
4. "Wabash Cannonball" - Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys [1947]

TCHAIKOVSKY BLOC, BRACKET 15 Ouch amazing group again.
1. "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music [1972] What the hell happened to Roxy Music in the 80's? I still haven't listened their albums (almost only albums in the final of 70's poll) because of the prejudices their later hits have effected me. This is very good pop song.
2. "The Loco-Motion" - Little Eva [1962] Great dance pop from early 60's.
3. "Arnold Layne" - Pink Floyd [1967] I was sure I put this first. But what can you do if there are two songs that sounds better today.
4. "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson [1937]

1. "Keep on Movin'" - Soul II Soul [1989] I'm not sure have I heard this before (I mean before this week). Good dance song.
2. "Work It" - Missy Elliott [2002] The trademark of Missy is great and odd outros. One of the oddest one is in this song (and in video). Credit for that.
3. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations [1971] The boy bands were better in the 70's
4. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - Glen Campbell [1968] Where's the magic of Wichita Lineman? The last place in this weeks second weakest bracket doesn't look good.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley [1970] A new version (to me) from The Dream Belongs to Me in my this weeks spotify playlist. It's different version than in Starsailor or in compilation I have. This isn't as ethereal as the original. It's almost an ordinary singersongwriter song. Anyway the song (any version) is pure magic and wins easily Wolf Like Me which would have won very many brackets in other weeks.
2. "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio [2006] The best gig I've seen this year is by TV on the Radio. Wolf Like Me was one of the climax of the show (actually it was an hour long climax.).
4. "Good Lovin'" - The Young Rascals [1966]

TCHAIKOVSKY BLOC, BRACKET 8 This weeks best group?
1. "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott [2001] The ektara line is maybe the catchiest thing ever in pop music.
3. "Dream On" - Aerosmith [1973] Again I have heard several better (live) versions than the original in their debut. The album version could be last in this very good bracket but live version I just heard almost beats Missy.
4. "Sucker M.C.'s" - Run-D.M.C. [1984] Very very good #4.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "Ghost Town" - The Specials [1981] This is just pure pop genius. And I don't usually like ska music.
2. "1234" - Feist [2007] I love Feist's singin voice and skills. So pure. No need to pro tools.
3. "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin [1959] OK first I thought this was very good commercial. But the commercial break came after this. (Yeah I don't have the premium version.)
4. "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters [1960]

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
1 - "Dancing in the Street" - Martha & the Vandellas [1965]
2 - "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex [1973]
3 - "Ode to Billie Joe" - Bobbie Gentry [1967]
4 - "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado [2006]
Pretty weak bracket - guess #1 and #4 pick themselves. 'Dancing In The Street' is the only classic here,one of the best Motown songs,'Maneater' sucks ass. The other 2 - nothing special really,but OK.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
1 - "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges [1969]
2 - "I'm a Man" - Bo Diddley [1955]
3 - "Fever" - Peggy Lee [1958]
4 - "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice [2007]
Not a particular fan of anything here,could be a completely different order on a different day. Today,the Stooges track sounds the most exciting by far. I like the other 3 as well though...

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
1 - "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green [1972]
2 - "Come Together" - The Beatles [1969]
3 - "Over and Over" - Hot Chip [2006]
4 - "Wabash Cannonball" - Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys [1947]
Another weak bracket,but Al Green wins this easily. I guess,one of the last great soul songs. Not even close to one of the Beatles best,would be #4 in many brackets. The other 2 - meh.

1 - "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music [1972]
2 - "Arnold Layne" - Pink Floyd [1967]
3 - "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson [1937]
4 - "The Loco-Motion" - Little Eva [1962]
Oh man,the brackets this week are terrible. Great early Roxy Music single wins fairly comfortably. Don't think 'Arnold Layne' is anything remarkable,not close to 'See Emily Play'. Decent RJ track,even if it's not really my genre,Loco-Motion is a bit of fun,but nothing more.

1 - "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations [1971]
2 - "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - Glen Campbell [1968]
3 - "Keep on Movin'" - Soul II Soul [1989]
4 - "Work It" - Missy Elliott [2002]
Another 2-song bracket. 'Just My Imagination' is one of the Temptations' great moments,classic pop tune. Another classic from Glen Campbell's magic run of the late 60s - not too far behind 'Wichita Lineman'. The other 2 songs are really boring.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
1 - "Brown Sugar" - The Rolling Stones [1971]
2 - "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio [2006]
3 - "Good Lovin'" - The Young Rascals [1966]
4 - "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley [1970]
First bracket where I enjoy all the songs. 'Brown Sugar' is one of the most exciting songs of all time,it's magic when it comes on where I work after playing mainly 2000s pop fluff. 'Wolf Like Me' is an instantly memorable track on a fairly forgettable album for me. Good Lovin' is good fun,guess it's pretty lightweight though. 'Song For The Siren' is a decent tune,I think the cover by This Mortal Coil is infinitely better though...

1 - "Everybody's Talkin'" - Nilsson [1968]
2 - "Dream On" - Aerosmith [1973]
3 - "Sucker M.C.'s" - Run-D.M.C. [1984]
4 - "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott [2001]
Nilsson always seems so underrated. Great pop tune,one of the best of the late 60s. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Tyler and Aerosmith,can't deny 'Dream On' is a classic. I've never really been able to get into Run-DMC,Missy Elliott - criminally overrated.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1 - "Ghost Town" - The Specials [1981]
2 - "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin [1959]
3 - "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters [1960]
4 - "1234" - Feist [2007]
Stick with the rankings in the last group of possibly the worst bracketology week ever. 'Ghost Town' is probably the song of the week. A real song of the times,echoing riots going on in Britain at the time. 'Mack The Knife' is a bit overplayed now,but it's still a classic. Another decent Muddy Waters track,but they all sound pretty similar to me. Feist didn't do much for me...

Just under three hours left for this week!

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Ode to Billie Joe" - Bobbie Gentry [1967] - First listen - I'm impressed. Good melody and guitar line, but the lyrics are a little questionable.
2. "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex [1973] - Sounds like it belongs in a Nike commercial, in the best way possible.
3. "Dancing in the Street" - Martha & the Vandellas [1965] - It's universally hailed as a Motown classic, but I can't put any of the label's girl group songs on the list of the "very best" Motown songs.
4. "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado [2006] - I thought I would have this higher. It's not bad at all, but I heard it way too much when it came out.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice [2007] - I doubt any posthumous MJ tribute could top the one that came too early. In the vein of "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough," in that I would put it on and expect everyone in the room, young or old, to dance.
2. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges [1969] - Those three power chords did so much, it's hard to fathom no one was listening when it came out.
3. "Fever" - Peggy Lee [1958] - I love it when the drummer has jazz hands like this guy. It's cool.
4. "I'm a Man" - Bo Diddley [1955] - This is the Bo I like. He's a MAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!! But SH2B4.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green [1972] - The perfect R&B song, the model all the others since it came out have followed. Every single note is just sublime. Best song this week.
2. "Come Together" - The Beatles [1969] - Their most omnipresent song (in my experience), and it's not as sonically brilliant as they were in 1966. But it's still a Beatles song, and even their OK stuff is amazing.
3. "Over and Over" - Hot Chip [2006] - Prince and LCD Soundsystem have a kid that got a fuzz pedal for Christmas this year. Awesome.
4. "Wabash Cannonball" - Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys [1947] - Never stood a chance.

1. "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson [1937] - Almost anything Mr. Johnson touches turns to gold, this song especially included. He's the archetypal prewar bluesman.
2. "Arnold Layne" - Pink Floyd [1967] - This song is not that special, nor as trippy as one expects from early Floyd. A fairly standard late-60's pop song.
3. "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music [1972] - I think I came a little bit closer to liking it when I listened to it for this game - but that's still a long way off.
4. "The Loco-Motion" - Little Eva [1962] - If "Crank That" was a top 1000 song in 2054, well, it'd be just like this.

1. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations [1971] - Nowhere near "My Girl" or "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" but I guess it's the best of these.
2. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - Glen Campbell [1968] - Glen Campbell earns this spot on the strength of his voice alone.
3. "Work It" - Missy Elliott [2002] - "Get Ur Freak On" is better.
4. "Keep on Movin'" - Soul II Soul [1989] - All R&B 1981ish-1996ish sounds the same to me.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Brown Sugar" - The Rolling Stones [1971] - This might actually be the worst song in this group. I don't want to listen to it right now. It could be #4 except that it has the riff to end all riffage.
2. "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio [2006] - Insane. I don't know how you go about making music like this.
3. "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley [1970] - Now I know why people don't like Led Zeppelin, cause the elder Buckley had the folky thing going first. Definitely need to check him out more.
4. "Good Lovin'" - The Young Rascals [1966] - This might actually be the best song in the group. I want to listen to it right now. Such is the strength of this bracket, but this one is just too happy for me right now.

1. "Dream On" - Aerosmith [1973] - A classic rock staple, and deservedly so.
2. "Sucker M.C.'s" - Run-D.M.C. [1984] - I think what sets Run-D.M.C. apart from everyone else is the fact that they are the total package. When everyone else was shouting over disco grooves, they presented themselves as a band, with tight, non-sampled beats and lyrics that were crafted, not improvised. And this song? Yeah, see the above.
3. "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott [2001] - Good song that spawned a whole lot of crap. If it wasn't for "Umbrella" and Auto-Tune we'd still be inundated with Middle-Eastern/Indian Classical sampled hip-hop.
4. "Everybody's Talkin'" - Nilsson [1968] - I'm talkin' too...so I can drown out the song.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "Ghost Town" - The Specials [1981] - The best ska these ears have ever heard.
2. "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters [1960] - The man is amazing. I want my Mojo working too after hearing this one.
3. "1234" - Feist [2007] - Pleasant enough, but it's just an "iPod commercial" song, and will be forever.
4. "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin [1959] - I don't understand how this is so great.

Voting is now over. Results will be posted as soon as I get everything totalled.

RESULTS

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Dancing in the Street" - Martha & the Vandellas (53 points, 7 first-place votes)
2. "Ode to Billie Joe" - Bobbie Gentry (46, 4)
3. "20th Century Boy" - T. Rex (46, 4)
4. "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado (25, 2)

Though Bobbie Gentry and T. Rex made it close, this bracket was all about Motown, as Martha and her beloved Vandellas advance to the second round. "Dancing in the Street" will face Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" in Round 2, but Bobbie Gentry is out. T. Rex still has two songs left in Bracketology, and Nelly Furtado has one.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 10
1. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges (49, 5)
2. "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice (46, 8)
3. "I'm a Man" - Bo Diddley (41, 3)
4. "Fever" - Peggy Lee (34, 1)

This week was all about close brackets, and this is the first one. Iggy Pop and company only manage to squeak out a three-point victory over "D.A.N.C.E.," but "I Wanna Be Your Dog" does advance to the second round to face Tom Tom Club's "Genius of Love." There is no justice for Justice, as they are now out of Bracketology, as is Peggy Lee (this was her only song) and Bo Diddley, who finishes oh-for-three in Bracketology.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green (60, 11)
2. "Come Together" - The Beatles (45, 2)
3. "Over and Over" - Hot Chip (38, 3)
4. "Wabash Cannonball" - Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys (27, 1)

In one of the week's biggest blowouts, Al Green wins by fifteen points. The Beatles are now 7-for-11 in Bracketology, and Hot Chip is oh-for-one with only "And I Was a Boy from School" remaining. Roy Acuff is done.

1. "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson (48, 7)
2. "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music (46, 6)
3. "Arnold Layne" - Pink Floyd (33, 2)
4. "The Loco-Motion" - Little Eva (33, 1)

In the week's biggest upset, Robert Johnson sneaks past Roxy Music to move into the second round; perhaps he sold his soul for a win in this bracket? "Hellhound on My Trail" will take on the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows" in Round 2. Roxy Music finishes Bracketology oh-for-two after "Love Is the Drug" lost earlier in the game. Pink Floyd is also oh-for-two, but they have two songs still left. Little Eva is gone.

1. "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" - The Temptations (52, 8)
2. "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" - Glen Campbell (37, 3)
3. "Work It" - Missy Elliott (37, 2)
4. "Keep on Movin'" - Soul II Soul (34, 3)

The Temptations now have two songs in the second round, as "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)" joins "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" in the next round. Glen Campbell finishes the first round one-for-two as "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" proves unable to match the success of "Wichita Lineman." Missy Elliott loses in her first bracket of the week, and Soul II Soul loses in its first bracket of the game ("Back to Life" still remains).

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 15
1. "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio (50, 7)
2. "Brown Sugar" - The Rolling Stones (44, 5)
3. "Song to the Siren" - Tim Buckley (41, 4)
4. "Good Lovin'" - The Young Rascals (35, 1)

TV on the Radio only has one song in Bracketology, but the band is making the most of their time in the game, as they defeat their competition in another close bracket. The Stones are finding this game to be difficult, as they are now one-for-four in Bracketology. The Young Rascals' record is even worse, as they finish their stint in Bracketology oh-for-two ("Groovin'" already lost). Tim Buckley is just as unfortunate, as he finishes oh-for-one.

1. "Dream On" - Aerosmith (50, 6)
2. "Everybody's Talkin'" - Nilsson (49, 6)
3. "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott (38, 4)
4. "Sucker M.C.'s" - Run-D.M.C. (33, 1)

Another very close bracket, as Aerosmith sneaks past Harry Nilsson to put "Dream On" into the second round. Aerosmith will take on David Bowie's "'Heroes,'" and the Velvet Underground's "Heroin." Nilsson is now oh-for-two ("Without You" lost earlier in the game), as is Missy Elliott, who loses in her second bracket this week. They are both finished in this game. Run-D.M.C., on the other hand, has two chances left to advance.

HAYDN BLOC, BRACKET 12
1. "Ghost Town" - The Specials (52, 7)
2. "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters (48, 6)
3. "Mack the Knife" - Bobby Darin (32, 2)
4. "1234" - Feist (28, 1)

This one was back-and-forth all week. Muddy would take the lead, then the Specials would. The last four brackets sent "Ghost Town" into Round 2, as they all had that song at the top spot. Muddy is now oh-for-two in Bracketology, while Bobby Darin and Feist are both out after only one bracket. The Specials will face the Rolling Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and Jimmy Cliff's "Many Rivers to Cross" in the second round.

I will have to post the statistics in the morning. I'm just too wiped out to think right now.

Matt Schroeder
RESULTS

Shattered. Absolutely shattered. :(

Missy Elliott was dusted off too quickly, too. :(

Luckily there is Ghost Town in the second round.

OK some good songs sneaked to second round but again there are more my #4's than #1's in the second round.

Edit. Actually Robert Johnson song is only #4 that advanced the second round. And it isn't bad either. This week was so good that I guess I'll vote many of these to #1 in second round. So I change the smiley to this

Moonbeam
Matt Schroeder
RESULTS

Shattered. Absolutely shattered. :(

Missy Elliott was dusted off too quickly, too. :(

Yeah I loved all the rest in this bracket.

Better late than never. Here are your...

STATISTICS

TOP TWENTY BEST-PERFORMING SONGS

1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding (3.905 points per ballot)
2. "Good Vibrations" - The Beach Boys (3.9)
3. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (3.882)
4. "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops (3.8)
5. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana (3.778)
6. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (3.75)
7. "You Really Got Me" - The Kinks (3.7)
8. "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley (3.667) tie
8. "Georgia on My Mind" - Ray Charles (3.667) tie
10. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast (3.65)
11. "'Heroes'" - David Bowie (3.611)
12. "Living for the City" - Stevie Wonder (3.588)
13. "Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles (3.571) tie
13. "London Calling" - The Clash (3.571) tie
13. "Tomorrow Never Knows" - The Beatles (3.571) tie
16. "Heroin" - The Velvet Underground (3.556)
17. "Sweet Child o' Mine" - Guns n' Roses (3.533) tie
17. "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys (3.533) tie
19. "A Day in the Life" - The Beatles (3.529) tie
20. "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green (3.529) tie

TOP TWENTY WORST-PERFORMING SONGS

1. "Chime" - Orbital (1.176)
2. "Back in the Saddle Again" - Gene Autry (1.214)
3. "Donna" - Ritchie Valens (1.333)
4. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt (1.35)
5. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel (1.353)
6. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys (1.4)
7. "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans (1.412)
8. "It's Too Soon to Know" - The Orioles (1.45)
9. "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston (1.467)
10. "Maneater" - Nelly Furtado (1.471)
11. "Crazy Arms" - Ray Price (1.474)
12. "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer (1.529) tie
12. "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets (1.529) tie
14. "Up on the Roof" - The Drifters (1.55)
15. "Hounds of Love" - The Futureheads (1.556)
16. "Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)" - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel (1.571)
17. "Wabash Cannonball" - Roy Acuff & His Smoky Mountain Boys (1.588)
18. "Yeah!" - Usher (Featuring Lil' Jon & Ludacris) (1.611)
19. "Acid Tracks" - Phuture (1.619)
20. "He's So Fine" - The Chiffons (1.632)

TOP TWENTY WORST-PERFORMING SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND

1. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (2.667) tie
1. "God" - John Lennon (2.667) tie
1. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (2.667) tie
4. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer (2.75) tie
4. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell (2.75) tie
6. "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley (2.778)
7. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman (2.810)
8. "Genius of Love" - Tom Tom Club (2.813)
9. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival (2.842)
10. "Blowin' in the Wind" - Bob Dylan (2.85)
11. "Reelin' in the Years" - Steely Dan (2.857)
12. "Crying" - Roy Orbison (2.867)
13. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" - The Stooges (2.882) tie
13. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan (2.882) tie
15. "Ashes to Ashes" - David Bowie (2.895)
16. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds (2.9)
17. "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff (2.941) tie
17. "I Only Have Eyes for You" - The Flamingos (2.941) tie
17. "Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio (2.941) tie
17. "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf (2.941) tie
17. "Dream On" - Aerosmith (2.941) tie
17. "Think" - Aretha Franklin (2.941) tie

TOP TWENTY BEST-PERFORMING SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND

1. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (3.059)
2. "I Can See for Miles" - The Who (3.053)
3. "Rid of Me" - PJ Harvey (3.036)
4. "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters (3.0) tie
4. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions (3.0) tie
4. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division (3.0) tie
7. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (2.952)
8. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (2.95)
9. "Don't Worry Baby" - The Beach Boys (2.941) tie
9. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead (2.941) tie
9. "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" - The Jam (2.941) tie
12. "The Sound of Silence" - Simon & Garfunkel (2.929)
13. "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath (2.9)
14. "Doo Wop (That Thing)" - Lauryn Hill (2.895)
15. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld (2.882) tie
15. "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals (2.882) tie
15. "Everybody's Talkin'" - Nilsson (2.882) tie
15. "Higher Ground" - Stevie Wonder (2.882) tie
15. "Follow the Leader" - Eric B. & Rakim (2.882) tie
20. "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music (2.875)

TWENTY LOWEST-RANKED SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND

1. "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide (ranked #990)
2. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan (ranked #920)
3. "Ashes to Ashes" - David Bowie (#878)
4. "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson (#870)
5. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (#824)
6. "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground (#801)
7. "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma (#772)
8. "God" - John Lennon (#714)
9. "Karma Police" - Radiohead (#709)
10. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (#696)
11. "Come as You Are" - Nirvana (#661)
12. "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel (#657)
13. "So What" - Miles Davis (#636)
14. "Think" - Aretha Franklin (#630)
15. "Genius of Love" - Tom Tom Club (#595)
16. "Back on the Chain Gang" - Pretenders (#558)
17. "Reelin' in the Years" - Steely Dan (#449)
18. "Dream On" - Aerosmith (#443)
19. "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" - Stevie Wonder (#438)
20. "Clint Eastwood" - Gorillaz (#404)

TWENTY HIGHEST-RANKED SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND

1. "Hey Jude" - The Beatles (#35)
2. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" - Bill Haley & His Comets (#46)
3. "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" - Jerry Lee Lewis (#64)
4. "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott (#70)
5. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (#75)
6. "Mystery Train" - Elvis Presley (#83)
7. "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) (#105)
8. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (#109)
9. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld (#113)
10. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams (#118)
11. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who (#121)
12. "Eight Miles High" - The Byrds (#124)
13. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone (#127)
14. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (#129)
15. "Sexual Healing" - Marvin Gaye (#138)
16. "Blitzkrieg Bop" - The Ramones (#145)
17. "Crazy" - Patsy Cline (#147)
18. "Don't Worry Baby" - The Beach Boys (#149)
19. "Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music (#155)
20. "Brown Sugar" - The Rolling Stones (#156)

It must have been a brutal week if the most anyone got right was only 5 brackets. But then, I could very well have miscalculated here, so feel free to double-check my work.

MORE STATISTICS

WHO GOT THE MOST CORRECT WINNERS THIS WEEK?
1. Alex D (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
1. Harold Wexler (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
1. Lanka (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
1. Midaso (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
5. Moonbeam (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
5. sonofsamiam (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
5. VanillaFire1000 (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
8. Nassim (2 out of 5 - 40%)
9. BillAdama (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
9. Greg (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
9. Jackson (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
9. Matt Schroeder (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
9. nicolas (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
9. Rune (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
9. schleuse (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
16. brose (1 out of 8 - 12.5%) tie
16. pop elton (1 out of 8 - 12.5%) tie

OVERALL TOP TEN (BY PERCENTAGE)
1. Michael (15 out of 19 - 78.95%)
2. Honorio (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
2. Mindrocker (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
4. Alex D (54 out of 79 - 68.35%)
5. SR (54 out of 80 - 67.5%)
6. nicolas (70 out of 104 - 67.31%)
7. Harold Wexler (69 out of 104 - 66.35%)
8. Midaso (66 out of 104 - 63.46%)
9. Greg Rumpff (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
10. Jackson (19 out of 32 - 59.38%) tie
10. Penguin (19 out of 32 - 59.38%) tie

OVERALL TOP TEN (BY NUMBER CORRECT)
1. nicolas (70)
2. Harold Wexler (69)
3. Midaso (66)
4. brose (61)
5. sonofsamiam (58)
6. BillAdama (56) tie
6. Matt Schroeder (56) tie
6. schleuse (56) tie
9. Alex D (54) tie
9. SR (54) tie

OVERALL BOTTOM TEN (BY PERCENTAGE)
1. Moonbeam (31 out of 92 - 33.70%)
2. pop elton (38 out of 102 - 37.25%)
3. Jeff (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
3. netjade (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
5. Rune (21 out of 53 - 39.62%)
6. johan_at (2 out of 5 - 40%)
7. Nassim (39 out of 92 - 42.39%)
8. The Lone Gunmen (20 out of 47 - 42.55%)
9. VanillaFire1000 (32 out of 71 - 45.07%)
10. Henrik (14 out of 31 - 45.16%)

Matt Schroeder
5. Moonbeam (4 out of 8 - 50%)
9. Matt Schroeder (3 out of 8 - 37.5%)

Moonbeam got more right than me?!? This makes me question the existence of a higher power!

Matt Schroeder
Matt Schroeder
5. Moonbeam (4 out of 8 - 50%)
9. Matt Schroeder (3 out of 8 - 37.5%)

Moonbeam got more right than me?!? This makes me question the existence of a higher power!

Up is down. Left is right. North is south.