Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Flaming Lips - Embryonic

I've always been a huge Lips fan. I've seen them live twice and they never ever fail to entertain. Their music has been amongst some of the very best of the last two decades; and they show no signs of slowing down or failing to reinvent on their latest and Double Album.

Embryonic is exactly how Coyne described how it would sound. A Perfect and odd mix of Miles Davis (Bitches Brew), John Lennon, and Joy Division. Embryonic is also their most raw and ethereal album to date. With its pounding bass, and shrieking sound scape's, the flaming lips have made one of the Best Records of the year.

Standout tracks : Convinced of The Hex, See The Leaves, The Ego's Last Stand, Worm Mountain, Silver Trembling Hands

You could listen to the album stream in its entirety on Colbertnation.com, and i'm sure there are some torrents floating around. The album will also be released with a special 3Disc special edition that you can order on their website. (It comes in an amazing FURRY packaging and high quality DVD transfer for 39.96)

Album Rating 10/10

This is the third album tis year that I have labeled with a perfect 10.

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest - 10/10
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion - 10/10

Re: The Flaming Lips - Embryonic

jntense...

so far i like it, though i still have to listen to it more

It's my AOTY

It maybe the only Lips album that has to be consumed as a whole. Even though Albums like Soft Bulletin, and Yoshimi are both high in complete concept; they can both be taken in, and loved on an individual song basis. With Embryonic each song feeds off the next in a beautiful way; each song is steeped in the same sonic goo, thus giving the illusion of one very long song.

I always feel lame when I try to listen to leaks, so I'll just wait for the release.

Hopefully the lips can bounce back after Mystics.

BillAdama
I always feel lame when I try to listen to leaks, so I'll just wait for the release.

Hopefully the lips can bounce back after Mystics.

just bet your li'l smuggee ass on it, chris, you won't regret it...

Is it a leak if the band is doing it?

Hey, it's only smugness if you think it makes you better than other people. I'm just speaking about my own feelings about free downloading. There's a difference between smugness and just being opinionated. Nobody who frequents a website for an aggregate critics' list gets to call anyone else smug.

If the band's putting it out themselves it's different, so in that case it depends how far it is from the actual physical release.

BillAdama
Hey, it's only smugness if you think it makes you better than other people. I'm just speaking about my own feelings about free downloading. There's a difference between smugness and just being opinionated. Nobody who frequents a website for an aggregate critics' list gets to call anyone else smug.

If the band's putting it out themselves it's different, so in that case it depends how far it is from the actual physical release.

Ok, I'm gonna apologize in advance for this overly defensive post.

I've been getting 4-5 hours sleep all week and I've been overreacting to things all day. Sorry.

Kevin
It maybe the only Lips album that has to be consumed as a whole. Even though Albums like Soft Bulletin, and Yoshimi are both high in complete concept; they can both be taken in, and loved on an individual song basis. With Embryonic each song feeds off the next in a beautiful way; each song is steeped in the same sonic goo, thus giving the illusion of one very long song.

That's funny, because this is the polar opposite of what Wayne Coyne said about the album, which is in essence a dumping ground for all the band's post "At War With the Mystics" ideas. Here's a quote from Coyne:

"Some of my favorite records – thinking Beatles' White Album, Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti and even some of the longer things that The Clash have done – part of the reason I like them is that they're not focused. They're kind of like a free-for-all and go everywhere. It's not necessarily because we're prolific, I think we always stay in a sort of perpetual panic of like we never have more songs than we need and we always wonder if any of them are any good to begin with."