The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Round 1, Week 11

WEEK 11

A little breakdown of this week's songs by decade...
1920s: 0
1930s: 0
1940s: 1
1950s: 2
1960s: 7
1970s: 10
1980s: 4
1990s: 5
2000s: 3

Also of note:
A bracket with two songs from this decade
Two songs by Bob Dylan
Three reggae songs

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
#104: "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969]
#409: "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals [1972]
#616: "Faith" - George Michael [1987]
#921: "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets [2004]

TCHAIKOVSKY BLOC, BRACKET 2
#251: "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd [1967]
#262: "Tangled Up in Blue" - Bob Dylan [1975]
#763: "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine [1992]
#774: "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) [1996]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
#127: "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone [1971]
#386: "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971]
#639: "King of the Road" - Roger Miller [1965]
#898: "My Sharona" - The Knack [1979]

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
#205: "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969]
#308: "Get Up Stand Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]
#717: "Chime" - Orbital [1990]
#820: "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1979]

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
#118: "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]
#395: "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986]
#630: "Think" - Aretha Franklin [1968]
#907: "Bust a Move" - Young MC [1989]

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
#113: "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld [1996]
#400: "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf [1956]
#625: "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" - Neil Young [1979]
#912: "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans [1990]

RACHMANINOFF BLOC, BRACKET 16
#105: "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) [2003]
#408: "Paid in Full" - Eric B. & Rakim [1987]
#617: "Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004]
#920: "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [1965]

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
#55: "Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley [1956]
#458: "Riders on the Storm" - The Doors [1971]
#567: "Shake" - Sam Cooke [1964]
#970: "Two Sevens Clash" - Culture [1978]

Re: Bracketology: Round 1, Week 11

WEEK 11

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals [1972]
I hate that every time a Bowie song comes up, I'm finding a different song to put above it, but this song is just head-and-shoulders above "Space Oddity". My favorite non-Marley reggae song, and my second-favorite reggae song. When that piano kicks in about two seconds into the song, I just want to get up and dance. And drink a Red Stripe.
2. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969]
Absolutely fantastic song, and it would win a lot of other brackets, but ultimately it only gets the #2 spot because the subject matter is just a tad dated. I mean, when was the last time there was ANY kind of pop song about space exploration? I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite saying that, considering that "Rocket Man" is one of my all-time favorites, but "Space Oddity" just has a hint of novelty-ness to it. Besides, "Pressure Drop" is better.
3. "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets [2004]
I've heard this song many, many times now, and EVERY time it starts, I can't believe that it's going to be a rap song. That intro sounds like something that Oasis might steal for their next single. Gorgeous song, but just can't compare to the other two.
4. "Faith" - George Michael [1987]
I don't know why, but I've never been a fan of this song. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it's always been just sort of mediocre to me. Still, it's eons better than Limp Bizkit's cover.

1. "Tangled Up in Blue" - Bob Dylan [1975]
One of the all-time greats with some of the best lyrics I've ever heard. One thing that always rankled me about Dylan was his harmonica playing; on so many songs it sounds really abrasive and amateurish. Here though, it's understated and seems to show much more aptitude. Perfect song. If I was the only person voting in Bracketology, this song would be going far.
2. "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine [1992]
Yes, I know. If it weren't for Rage, we probably would never have had the shitty rap-metal fad of the late '90s. But is it really fair to condemn these guys for the imitators they spawned? I don't think so, especially since the followers never had the righteous anger that Rage Against the Machine gave us. And none of the others had guitar masters like Tom Morello. I prefer other Rage songs, but this still gets the job done.
3. "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) [1996]
Why don't people like Huey Lewis' "The Heart of Rock & Roll"? One big reason is the insipid city roll call that Lewis gives. The roll call here isn't much better, and it's basically just a paean to Pac and Dre's home state. So if you're from Cali, you're much more likely to enjoy this one. I'm not from the Golden State, so it's not quite as effective for me. Although, I would've loved to have heard 2Pac shouting out some different California cities at the end. Maybe Yreka? Or La Jolla? Or Vallejo?
4. "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd [1967]
More psychedelic music, eh? Pass.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971]
I just don't understand the apparent hatred on this board toward Led Zeppelin. These guys were great! Not my favorite Zep song, but quite possibly #2. Interesting that for a song called "Rock and Roll," it's basically just a 12-bar blues.
2. "My Sharona" - The Knack [1979]
This is one of those love-it-or-hate-it songs. My dad detests it, I adore it. Yet for the countless times I've heard it, I'm really embarrassed that I only recently figured out that the song is about pedophilia. Or at least someone lusting after a young woman. And just how many times have high school English teachers tried to teach "Romeo and Juliet" only to be interrupted by some idiot in the back row singing out "M-m-m-my Verona!"
3. "King of the Road" - Roger Miller [1965]
It hurts me to put this song — which is only a small step up from your average novelty song — above Sly & the Family Stone, but I know every word of this one. And it's fun, too!
4. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone [1971]
Seriously, how is this the highest-ranked Sly song? Maybe I just prefer Sly's more party-oriented (read: pre-1970) stuff, but I've just never thought this one was as #127 good.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969]
Who would ever have imagined that Dusty Springfield could ever have recorded a song this cool and soulful? Amazing, amazing song.
2. "Get Up Stand Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]
Excellent Marley tune, and a hell of a protest song too. But it can't possibly compete with Dusty here.
3. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1979]
Three absolutely fantastic songs in this bracket. Hurts to put this one so low.
4. "Chime" - Orbital [1990]
Yes, it's a techno classic, and it introduced us to Orbital, but I'll gladly take "The Box" over this one any day of the week.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Bust a Move" - Young MC [1989]
I'm probably going to catch hell for putting this one above Hank Williams, but the fact is that I prefer this one to the other three. Really creative rhymes (how many other rappers would dare to use the word "Poindexter" in one of their songs?), and a bass line that almost forces you to get to your feet and start dancing. Let the razzing begin...
2. "Think" - Aretha Franklin [1968]
I'm probably going to catch hell for putting this one above Hank Williams, but I love this song. What a wonderful blend of soul and gospel. In many ways, it's basically "Respect, Pt. 2," but there's nothing wrong with that, is there?
3. "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986]
I'm probably going to catch hell for putting this one above Hank Williams, but there's something about this song that makes me listen to it whenever it comes on. And I've always really liked the "W! O! R! D! Up!" part...
4. "I"m So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]
I'm probably going to catch hell for putting this one above Hank Williams, but... wait, this IS the Hank Williams song. Okay, I'm putting it last. This will probably win the bracket, and more power to it. I'm just not a fan of Hank.

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld [1996]
I feel weird putting this one first, but even though it's better-than-average club track, it's infinitely better than the other three here. Every time I hear this song, it reminds me that I need to watch "Trainspotting," as I've heard that the movie uses this song quite well there.
2. "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf [1956]
After the greatness of the #1 song here, the other three are fairly week. I'll go chalk with this bracket only because I value the three roughly equally, and I'm willing to go with the wisdom of the critics here.
3. "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" - Neil Young [1979]
I prefer the acoustic version with the inverted title. Frankly, the electric guitars of this one are a little too abrasive for my tastes.
4. "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans [1990]
Pretty repetitive and not terribly unique.

1. "Float On" - Modest Mouse
Another pretty weak bracket. I can't say that "Float On" is a great song, but it is a good song, and the others just aren't.
2. "Paid in Full" - Eric B. & Rakim [1987]
Can't say it's my favorite EB&R song, but it's still a classic track with some killer lyrics. Just not as good as "Float On".
3. "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) [2003]
The songs just get weaker and weaker in this bracket. Beyoncé's full of sass on this one, to be sure. But Jay-Z's rap is vastly inferior to the rest of his work.
4. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [1965]
Having grown up on the Byrds' version, it's difficult to hear this one and enjoy it. Dylan has so many better songs than this one.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Riders on the Storm" - The Doors [1971]
I'm a little surprised I'm putting this one first, as I believe the Doors to be one of the most overrated bands of all time, right up there with U2 and the Smiths. But this is arguably the weakest bracket in all of Bracketology (for me, at least), and something had to be #1.
2. "Shake" - Sam Cooke [1964]
It really says something about this bracket if I'm putting this one at #2. Cooke had SO many other better songs than this one. This one just sounds a little too forced. But something had to be #2.
3. "Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley [1956]
As I've said before, I'm not an Elvis fan. There's only one song by the King that I like, and this ain't it.
4. "Two Sevens Clash" - Culture [1978]
Culture wins the battle for #4. Probably a giant among Jamaican music, but it just doesn't speak to me the way other reggae songs do.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16

1. David Bowie- "Space Oddity": I actually choked up the first time I heard this. Not many songs have had that distinction.
2. George Michael- "Faith": I quite like the album (although I prefer Listen Without Prejudice much more than this song. "Father Figure" could have threatened the number 1 spot here, but "Faith" is an essential document of the 80s.
3. Toots & the Maytals- "Pressure Drop": One of the better reggae songs I've heard still is disadvantaged to my general aversion to the genre.
4. The Streets- "Dry Your Eyes": One of the most puzzling things about the 00s to me has been the acclaim that The Streets have somehow acquired. This is just terrible to me.

1. 2Pac- "California Love": Roger Troutman is what sells it for me, lending this dirty hip hop track some funk credibility.
2. Rage Against the Machine- "Killing in the Name": I can see why RATM were an important force on the scene in the 90s/00s, but I never have the urge to listen to them. This is probably their best song, though.
3. Bob Dylan- "Tangled Up in Blue": Not my thing.
4. Pink Floyd- "See Emily Play": Sounds like The Beatles on some bad shrooms- not a winning combination in Moonbeam's book.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4

1. The Knack- "My Sharona": I can overlook some genuinely creepy lyrics for the fact that this has one of the bass licks that ever graced a rock song.
2. Sly and the Family Stone- "Family Affair": A soul classic, and deservingly so. It just oozes cool without trying.
3. Led Zeppelin- "Rock and Roll": I'm sure they stole these riff from somewhere, but they're decent riffs.
4. Roger Miller- "King of the Road": This belongs nowhere but 4th.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6

1. Elvis Costello- "Oliver's Army": I haven't heard much Elvis outside of the first two albums, but this song has convinced me that this has to change.
2. Dusty Springfield- "Son of a Preacher Man": It's taken on a life of its own, but at its core, this is a great soul song.
3. Bob Marley- "Get Up Stand Up": I'm a Marley detractor, but this song is one of the better ones of his.
4. Orbital- "Chime": I can see how this must have been an exciting song for 1990, but I've grown weary of this type of techno.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4

1. Young MC- "Bust a Move": I had a crush on the girl with the stop sign on her butt in the video back in '89. Nostalgia is in full effect here with me ranking this song first, but it reminds me of my childhood, when rap was allowed to be fun.
2. Cameo- "Word Up": Cameo's brand of funk always seemed like B-grade funk to me, as popular as it became. Nevertheless, I do enjoy this.
3. Aretha Franklin- "Think": That ascending "freedom" chant is a nice marriage of soul and rock, but I've just never been able to separate the music from Aretha's boorish personality.
4. Hank Williams- "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry": There are plenty of Hank fans who will send this into the next round, but I just can't get past the twang- sorry.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
One of the best pop songs of the 80s.
Fun raggae song from The Harder They Come.
#104: "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969]
I can see what Bowie's trying to do here, and it just doesn't work for me. Maybe it struck a stronger note in 1969, but not now. (The televised space launches were just theatre anyway, all the real work was done boringly by scientists!)
#921: "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets [2004]
The only Streets I'd heard before this was ten minutes of their set at Bonnaroo. What I heard came off as obnoxiously 'modern youth', nothing like this sounds. I'll have to hear more to see which is real.

#262: "Tangled Up in Blue" - Bob Dylan [1975]
The most emotionally potent post-breakup longing song I've ever heard. That chord progression is absolutely perfect.
My problem with Piper is the stereotypically psychadelic vocal melodies. That echoey guitar/organ stuff is awesome, but in terms of song content I feel Hissing Fauna was Of Montreal succeeding at doing what Piper was attempting.
#774: "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) [1996]
Before computer adjusted voices were overused, 2Pac used it well. Good sample. The song gets a little boasty and repetitive.
#763: "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine [1992]
Never got Rage. Too much monotonic yelling.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
#386: "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971]
Great song from a great album.
I don't mind Sly in their less cheesy songs. This is not one of them.
A cheesy pop song that would have died long ago if it weren't for it's kareokability.
He's the king of the road, and he shows it by going straight down the middle.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
#205: "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969]
Perfect airy production for a beautiful voice and beautiful song.
Tight energetic song from the more nichey of the Elvises.
Sounds spacey and resonant but the cutting is not exactly seamless. Probably sounds great in a crowded club because you can't hear the seams.
Not one of Marley's stronger songs, in my opinion. Particularly the chorus sounds jarring in it's marchingness.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
Another awesome Aretha song.
#395: "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986]
Cool instrumentals, weird vocals.
#118: "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]
I was wondering whether it was worth looking into Hank Williams. The answer, yes.
#907: "Bust a Move" - Young MC [1989]
Cheesy and overly hook oriented.

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
Awesome Neil Young song from one of his best albums. I love that lyric "It's better to burn out than it is to rust". All the best song lyrics tend to be the ones that express a huge amount of feeling and imagery into one simple, elegant line.
The 50's are a big gap in my music collection, and this is one of the bigger ones.
The song has a nice feel to it but it doesn't quite hit the mark.
I didn't like Dubnobasswithmyheadman, but I like this. I might need to get Second Toughest now.

Another beautiful strummy Dylan song.
They got so much more out of samples in the 80's. And they knew how to be self referential without being egotistical and obnoxious.
#617: "Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004]
Their most commercial song, and also one of their best. The bombastic hookiness that makes some other bands annoying makes this song stand out really well. In fact, if they kept trying to be this commercial instead of retreating into obscurity their last album and a half would have been better. (Suck it Pitchfork.)
The song has the same flaws as all the other computery over-sampled over-trimmed modern dance-pop, but despite them it's an engaging, superbly produced song. Although the rap verse seems tacked on.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
Something about Cooke's voice just injects energy and sonic depth into the simplest of setups. Even a dumb poppy instructional dance move song sounds awesome.
Another of Elvis's cheesy hook oriented post-Sun singles. Hits better musical notes than Heartbreak Hotel. Nice deconstruction of elitism, but kind of musically humdrum.
Meh. Nice guitar, but it tries to conjure an image that falls short to me.
Meh.

In honor of "Bust a Move" being included this week, enjoy this brief montage from an episode of the U.S. medical sitcom SCRUBS in which lead characters J.D. and Turk encounter a professional Young MC impersonator at a convention:

Another somewhat abbreviated ballot for me this time, both because time is short and there really aren’t a whole lot of songs here I can get too excited about.

MAHLER 16
1. PRESSURE DROP. Oh yeah. Even more than Desmond Dekker, this is outstanding proto-reggae.
2. SPACE ODDITY. Good, though I doubt we’d remember this song if it had been by Donovan or somebody…
3. DRY YOUR EYES
4. FAITH

TCHAIKOVSKY 2
1. TANGLED UP IN BLUE. This was probably the first Dylan song I got to know well, and I’ve never gotten tired of it. Bob was getting a little less elliptical by 1975, but this is still a wonderfully allusive and beautifully performed ballad.
2. SEE EMILY PLAY
3. KILLING IN THE NAME
4. CALIFORNIA LOVE

BACH 4. Johann Sebastian Chalk.
1. FAMILY AFFAIR. How good was Sly? He could even produce a masterpiece when he was audibly disintegrating.
2. ROCK AND ROLL. One of the few Led Zep songs I can actually take, for some reason.
3. KING OF THE ROAD. R.E.M.’s pisstake on Dead Letter Office introduced me to this one.
4. MY SHARONA

BRAHMS 6. As weak as the above bracket is strong.
1. OLIVER’S ARMY. Elvis’…I don’t know, eighth- or ninth-best?...song takes this one by default.
2. SON OF A PREACHER MAN
3. CHIME
4. GET UP STAND UP

SCHUBERT 4
1. I’M SO LONESOME I COULD CRY. It’s cruel that Hank’s highest-rated single on AM is up against two fantastically catchy, funky numbers, plus Aretha’s best song. I’m very tempted to go with “Think,” but my heart wouldn’t be in it.
2. THINK
3. BUST A MOVE. Great…I made the mistake of memorizing the lyrics to this song many years ago, and now they’ll be stuck in my head for a week. Well, at least I’ll have fun.
4. WORD UP. SH2B4

SIBELIUS 4
1. SMOKESTACK LIGHTNING. Howlin’ Wolf was one of the earliest surprise inductions into the HOA, and deservedly so. The one person identified with early rock ‘n’ roll who bypasses R&B to go directly back to the Delta.
2. HEY HEY, MY MY (INTO THE BLACK). In which Neil wakes up in 1979 and shows the kids how it’s done.
3. BORN SLIPPY
4. THE ONLY ONE I KNOW

RACHMANINOFF 16
1. FLOAT ON. Finally, the Modest Mouse song I’ve been waiting for; luckily, nothing else in this bracket is within a mile of it. Irresistible.
2. PAID IN FULL
3. MR. TAMBOURINE MAN
4. CRAZY IN LOVE

HANDEL 5
1. HOUND DOG. This is also very much a win by default. I could get all sniffy about Big Mama’s version being better (which it is), but the performance here puts it over the top.
2. TWO SEVENS CLASH
3. SHAKE
4. RIDERS ON THE STORM

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16 : 4 excellent songs
1 "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969] : an old favorite of mine, I love the intricated vocval parts
2 "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals [1972] : only second, I regret cause that’s the hell of a reggae song
3 "Faith" - George Michael [1987]
4 "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets [2004]

1 "Tangled Up in Blue" - Bob Dylan [1975] : great story, great album too
2: "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine [1992] : to nassim : I love that song
3: "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) [1996]
4 "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd [1967]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1 "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971] : it was a long time
2 "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone [1971]
3 "My Sharona" - The Knack [1979]
4 "King of the Road" - Roger Miller [1965]

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
1 "Get Up Stand Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973] : to avenge Toots. More seriously, I guess it’s my favorite marley song
2 "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1979]
3 "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969]
4 "Chime" - Orbital [1990]

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1 "Think" - Aretha Franklin [1968] : sooo powerful, gospel-tinted song. I can’t help thinking of that restaurant scene in the Blues Brothers with Matt Murphy as the husband/guitarist
2 "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]
3 "Bust a Move" - Young MC [1989]
4 "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986]

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
1 "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf [1956] : what to say about that ? the voice of an ancient, lost America. The harmonica solo is so bluesy, devoid of any tricky technique, just pure power
2 "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" - Neil Young [1979]
3 "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld [1996]
4 "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans [1990] : I don’t do drugs anymore

1 "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [1965] : great song, although I prefer the Byrds version. The 3 others are not bad at all
2"Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004]
3"Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) [2003]
4"Paid in Full" - Eric B. & Rakim [1987]

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
1 "Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley [1956] : same thing as Howlin’ Wolf. Elvis was probably one of the only white guys who could equal or beat the original versions of his songs.
2: "Riders on the Storm" - The Doors [1971]
3 "Two Sevens Clash" - Culture [1978]
4 "Shake" - Sam Cooke [1964]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. Space Oddity - Not much of a Bowie fan, but this song is alright. Good Lyrics, melody is a little cliche.
2. Faith
3. Dry Your Eyes
4. Pressure Drop

1. Tangled Up in Blue - This is a pretty strong bracket. I'm also not much of a Dylan freak, but this is one of my favorites. Great lyrics.
2. See Emily Play
3. Killing in the Name
4. California Love

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. My Sharona - Another strong bracket. I love this song though. No matter how many times I listen to it. Sorry, Zeppelin.
2. Rock and Roll
3. Family Affair
4. King of the Road

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. Son of a Preacher Man - Fantastic song, wins easily. Classic.
2. Get Up Stand Up
3. Oliver's Army
4. Chime

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. I'm So Lonesom I Could Cry - Really great lyrics. I'm not a country fanatic by any means, but old country is the best country.
2. Word Up!
3. Bust a Move
4. Think

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. Born Slippy (Nuxx)- Really good song. An I'm not generally big into this kind of music at all. Seems very hypnotic to me.
2. The Only One I Know
3. Smokestack Lightning
4. Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)

1. Float On - I really didn't like this song at first, but it grew on me. I love the lyrics.
2. Mr. Tambourine Man
3. Crazy in Love
4. Paid in Full

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. Hound Dog - Gotta go with the king on this one. A little old fashioned, but still classic.
2. Riders on the Storm
3. Two Sevens Clash
4. Shake

Not too many ballots so far this week, but there's still time. You have just under 47 hours to get your ballot in, so don't forget!

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16

1. "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals [1972]

Very good reggae song wins a weak bracket.

2. "Faith" - George Michael [1987]

I'm sort of a sucker for this weird combination of skiffle beat and slick production.

3. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969]

Good if dated. I'm sure this will win -- is Bowie destined to win every 1st round bracket he's in, regardless of song quality and competition? (Note: I haven't gone back and checked if he's lost any, for all you pedants.)

4. "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets [2004]

Not a fan of the Streeets.

One of his very best, both extremely catchy and entirely engrossing.

2. "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) [1996]

A G-funk high-water mark. And yes, Roger Troutman's presence puts this over the top.

3. "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd [1967]

Good psychedelia, though there are Barrett-era Floyd songs that are better.

4. "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine [1992]

Really don't like RATM, though this is one of their more tolerable tracks.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4

1. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone [1971]

Absolutely astounding, creepy funk (that somehow got to #1!) that wipes the floor with the rest of this bracket.

2. "King of the Road" - Roger Miller [1965]

Fun and innocuous. R.E.M. fans are advised to check out their cover.

3. "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971]

Worth it for the drums alone.

4. "My Sharona" - The Knack [1979]

Has its cornball merits, but mainly annoying.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6

Very good bracket...

1. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1979]

One of his best, both as pop as he got plus very, very angry.

2. "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969]

All those wedding receptions, and I'm still not sick of it.

3. "Get Up Stand Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]

Toss-up with Dusty, though I'm just flat-out tired of Bob.

I like later Orbital more.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4

Choosing 2-4 was tough here.

1. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]

Just a stone-cold classic, and a pretty timeless sentiment.

2. "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986]

Silly, but nothing wrong with that.

3. "Think" - Aretha Franklin [1968]

Sort of pales next to other hits by her.

4. "Bust a Move" - Young MC [1989]

Lots of better hip-hop from the same era, but still fun.

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4

1. "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf [1956]

His best track, and that's saying something.

2. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld [1996]

Wasn't this from '95? Anyway, a defining song of its era, and pretty relentless.

I prefer "My My, Hey Hey", but this is still effective.

I mainly enjoy this for how it rips off "Hush".

1. "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) [2003]

It's depressing to see this and Eric B in last in pretty much every poll. I hope that's not just reflexive, because this is a defining pop song of the decade. It's all in the horns.

Talk about your smooth criminals. (Also, check the epic remix.)

3. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [1965]

I never really got the universal praise for this song, whether by Bob or the Byrds. I guess I prefer Bob's, but it meanders, and the lyrics aren't nearly as good as most of his stuff.

4. "Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004]

Ordinary.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5

Yeesh, what a bracket.

1. "Shake" - Sam Cooke [1964]

Sam sort of wins by default, though this is mainly famous as the flipside of one of the greatest soul songs ever.

2. "Two Sevens Clash" - Culture [1978]

Very good, not transcendent.

Another track that can't touch it's flipside, IMO. I'll take the original version too while I'm at it. (Don't get me wrong, it's still fun.)

4. "Riders on the Storm" - The Doors [1971]

Actually one of the more bearable Doors songs, at least until the cringe-inducing "brain squirming like a toad" line.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969]
2. "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals [1972]
3. "Faith" - George Michael [1987]

This is probably one of the worst brackets I’ve encountered since I began participating in Bracketology except for “Space Oddity,” which, though not one of Bowie’s best, is still pretty excellent in terms of lyrics, structure, and its unique instrumentation. “Pressure Drop” is not my thing, though I accept that it’s excellent reggae. “Faith” is decent but unspectacular 80s pop, kept out of the bottom slot by perhaps the single worst song I’ve heard from the AM top 1000. Seriously, “Dry Your Eyes” is that bad—it sounds like some horrible undiscovered wannabe rapper instead of anything critics would enjoy.

3. "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd [1967]
4. "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) [1996]

“Tangled Up in Blue” runs away not only with this bracket but with the entire week. It’s probably my favorite Dylan song, with one of the best melodies he ever came up with and sheer poetry in every line. “Killing in the Name” is good enough to win most of the other brackets—Tom Morello absolutely kills it on this song with about four different catchy riffs and his most tolerable solo. “See Emily Play” is good but overrated psychedelia, but it easily tops “California Love,” which is cool for about a minute before it starts sounding repetitive.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone [1971]
2. "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971]
3. "My Sharona" - The Knack [1979]
4. "King of the Road" - Roger Miller [1965]

I don’t really like There’s a Riot Goin’ On, but I can’t deny “Family Affair,” which simply oozes cool. “Rock and Roll” is one of the best straight-up rockers Zeppelin ever did, with that flat-out classic drum-followed-by-guitar intro. “My Sharona” doesn’t annoy me like I assume it does most people, and actually features a pretty good guitar solo that comes out of nowhere. “King of the Road” is just plain bad; I don’t see the appeal.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969]

Despite a low seed, Dusty’s “Son of a Preacher Man” really doesn’t face much competition in this bracket—this soul classic will easily pass through to the second round (where it is likely destined for a fourth-place finish depending on competition). “Get Up Stand Up” surprised me—I’m not even close to anything resembling a Marley fan, but I liked the main hook of this song and could actually see myself listening to it again. I like Elvis Costello, but he had at least 15-20 songs from ’77-’79 that are better than “Oliver’s Army.” The monotonous, soulless “Chime” is exactly the type of electronic music I dislike.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Bust a Move" - Young MC [1989]
3. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]
4. "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986]

“Bust a Move” is a lot more pop-oriented than the type of rap I usually like, but I can’t deny its excellence in a weak bracket. To me, “Think” is as good as the far more highly rated “Respect.” I wish I could like Hank Williams and similar country artists from that era, but I’ve disliked every country song I’ve heard so far through bracketology, and “I’m So Lonesome” so no exception. Maybe someday, I’ll warm up to it. “Word Up!” is 5% catchy, 95% annoying, guaranteeing a last place finish.

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4

“Born Slippy” is the polar opposite of fellow techno song “Chime”—it makes me want to get up and dance instead of skip to the end of the song, it avoids being overlong, it’s accessible, and it’s entertaining to listen to in non-club environments. I don’t generally listen to the blues, but “Smokestack Lightning” reminds me why I should—it’s passionately performed, incredibly soulful, and even a little funky. “Hey Hey” is a good song in third place only because of the strength of the top two. “The Only One I Know” is a pretty good Stone Roses-style song, but I have a feeling I’d like it a lot more if I had lived in Great Britain in 1990.

1. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [1965]
3. "Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004]
4. "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) [2003]

This is the best top-to-bottom bracket of the week. I disagree with some of the other voters about “Mr. Tambourine Man:” I find it to be one of Dylan’s very best songs—far superior to the Byrds version—and with some of his best lyrics. That “foggy ruins of time” verse is simply astounding. The other three songs are all very good, with very little difference between them. “Paid in Full” might be the best 80s rap song not by Public Enemy or N.W.A., edging out the catchy indie rock of Modest Mouse and the infectious horn samples of “Crazy in Love.”

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
2. "Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley [1956]
3. "Shake" - Sam Cooke [1964]

What a weird bracket—these are four songs that simply do not belong together. “Riders” tops this easily for me; I tend to ignore the slightly cringe-inducing lyrics and instead focus on the song’s unique, creepy atmosphere. “Hound Dog” is obviously extremely dated, but it remains very catchy. I like Sam Cooke, but “Shake” isn’t close to his best material for me—the hook verges on annoying. But everything easily tops “Two Sevens Clash”—like I said, reggae is not my thing, but I don’t even see the merit in this song.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969]: Bowie’s first blast of brilliance lives up to its title in every way. When this deeply strange, one-of-a-kind record first became an unexpected U.K. smash, Bowie must have seemed like a one-hit wonder – how could anyone follow up something like this. I guess we all found out.
2. "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals [1972]: One of the great reggae songs, with Toots’s driving passion and the band’s propulsive groove combining for a record that sounds like it’s going to jump right out of your speakers.
3. "Faith" - George Michael [1987]: Michael was the Justin Timberlake of his era; who knew that the voice of Wham! had this album, and this concisely great title track, in him?
4. "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets [2004]: It obviously works better in context towards the end of A GRAND DON’T COME FOR FREE, for my money the best concept album since THE WALL, but on its own it’s still a surprisingly beautiful breakup ballad.

1. "Tangled Up in Blue" - Bob Dylan [1975]: One of his finest achievements, and a great leadoff track from my personal favorite Dylan album. The “narrative” takes some daringly oblique leaps, but the pervasive mood of regret for what might have been interlaced with appreciation for what was is as direct as it can be.
2. "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd [1967]: Speaking of what might have been… There’s no way Barrett could have kept up the mad whirl of lysergic whimsy epitomized by this incredible single forever, but it’s one of rock’s great tragedies that we never got to find out.
3. "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine [1992]: An obvious choice for the first single from the classic debut; even for a lyricist not known for his subtlety, Zack’s diatribes (I do believe that he’s not going to do what we tell him, although I might be misinterpreting) are notably on the nose in addition to being in your face. As usual, Morello saves the day.
4. "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) [1996]: I need to listen to the 2Pac albums again, but I suspect that even in context this one just seems like a Dre track that ‘Pac happens to rap on. Nothing wrong with that, but nothing that special either.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971]: LZ IV is one of those albums, like WHO’S NEXT and the Beatles’ and first-decade Stones albums, that’s so inextricably tied to my formative listening experiences that it’s impossible for me to be objective about it. This is one of my favorite tracks, especially for Bonham.
2. "My Sharona" - The Knack [1979]: Kind of hard for me to be objective about this one too, although with less justification. I will say that my favorite parts are the ones where Doug Fieger isn’t singing.
3. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone [1971]: Like a couple of others have already said, I prefer the earlier, upbeat Sly. I appreciate RIOT’s brilliance, but I’ll always pull out STAND! first. That said, this is a great single, with some vivid imagery – “blood’s thicker than the mud,” indeed.
4. "King of the Road" - Roger Miller [1965]: Miller was kind of a genius, although he had to tamp down his weirdness to score his biggest hit. A very nice song that’s way out of its league in this bracket.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1979]: What might be Costello’s best pop single, with magnificent Spector-meets-ABBA production covering some of his most bitingly satirical lyrics.
2. "Get Up Stand Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]: Another classic reggae track, and easily my favorite Marley song, probably because it benefits from the input of Peter Tosh’s focused fury.
3. "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969]: It’s taken on a life of its own since Uma Thurman shuffled to it in PULP FICTION, but it was always a classic. The defining moment of those great Memphis sessions, even if it isn’t the best track (that would be “Breakfast in Bed”).
4. "Chime" - Orbital [1990]: When I went on YouTube to look for this one, I chose the four-minute version over the ten-minute one. About one minute in I realized it wasn’t going to surprise me out of last place, especially in this stellar company.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986]: One of my favorite Eighties hits, one of those singles that instantly jumped out of the radio and sounded like nothing else. Irresistibly danceable and funny as all hell on top of it.
2. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]: As album-oriented as I am, I wasn’t dumb enough to pass up a used CD of 40 GREATEST HITS when I stumbled across it a few years ago. The man was a brilliant artist, and this is one of the most compactly poetic songs ever written.
3. "Think" - Aretha Franklin [1968]: The Queen’s first few years with Atlantic were so packed with one instant classic after another it makes you wonder just how her career could have been so badly mismanaged beforehand. This one is typical, and there’s not much more that needs to be said.
4. "Bust a Move" - Young MC [1989]: Another winner from the class of ’89 that still sounds fun today.

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" - Neil Young [1979]: The cataclysmic climax of RUST NEVER SLEEPS’s mega-electric half – it could just as easily be subtitled “Into the Red” – is the easy winner in this bracket for me.
2. "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf [1956]: The Wolf was a true force of nature. There isn’t really a discernible structure to this early single, but his singular personality holds it together by sheer will.
3. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld [1996]: It works brilliantly at the end of TRAINSPOTTING, and that’s why it isn’t #4.
4. "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans [1990]: Nice organ. (That’s what she said.) (Sorry.)

1. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [1965]: Has anyone ever covered this song by using the Byrds’s arrangement but singing all of Dylan’s verses? Just curious. I prefer the cover, but either way it’s a masterful song.
2. "Paid in Full" - Eric B. & Rakim [1987]: When I went back and listened to the album I was startled to remember that the MC and the DJ really are equal partners here – I’d forgotten how many instrumentals there were, and how relatively little rapping there actually is on tracks like this one. That means every word counts, and Rakim has the skills to make them all matter. Great, template-setting stuff.
3. "Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004]: It’s just as odd an expression of Isaac Brock’s singularly skewed worldview as anything else they’ve ever done, but it improbably made them household names because it’s just a little more melodic and upbeat than usual. Those shouted group vocals at the end can be irritating if you’re not in the right mood, though.
4. "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) [2003]: I like the record just fine, but the fantastic horn sample is the only reason I can think of for why it’s ranked so high.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley [1956]: The hardest-rocking of his early RCA singles, with astonishing drum fills from D.J. Fontana and some guitar work from Scotty Moore that wouldn’t sound out of place on NUGGETS.
2. "Shake" - Sam Cooke [1964]: The dance side of Cooke’s classic posthumous single is one of his best in that vein, even if Otis Redding made it his own almost immediately.
3. "Two Sevens Clash" - Culture [1978]: I’d probably rank this higher if I was Jamaican and understood it better. No mistaking that groove, though.
4. "Riders on the Storm" - The Doors [1971]: Another classic-rock staple that I actually have gotten tired of; I’ll listen to it at the end of L.A. WOMAN (whose title track is an extended Doors song I still love), but I almost always change stations when it comes on the radio by itself.

Still not too many ballots this week, only 8.6 so far. At this point, every bracket (except one) is close, but that's probably more because of how many votes there have been so far. So if you haven't voted yet this week, you only have 19 hours and 24 minutes!

A quick one while I'm not away :

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
#921: "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets [2004] : one of my best friend has just get dumped by his girlfriend after 5 years, so let's say this #1 place is for him (and to enhance how this song is great, well written, delicate and sadly true)
#104: "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969] : might have been #2 even if my friend had not get dumped, but it would have been a tough choice

#763: "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine [1992] : for nicolas : as much as I like RATM (and I truly do), I would not even put this one on their top5. Still, California Love only stands on its sample, See Emily Play is quite charming but not outstanding and Tangled Up... meh... maybe if it was as short as See Emily Play
#774: "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) [1996] : the sample does it all
#262: "Tangled Up in Blue" - Bob Dylan [1975] : not even fun to play in Rock Band 2

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
#386: "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971] : the intro, the riff, the "it's been a lonely, lonely, lonely lonely time" line... no competition here !

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
#205: "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969] : this song is incredibly elegance, Dusty has a wonderful voice and the instrumentation underlines it the best way

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
#395: "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986] : a crazier and funnier version of Prince, not an easy thing to do
#118: "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]: my love for 3/4 time songs seems stronger than my lack of interest for country music
#907: "Bust a Move" - Young MC [1989] : best #4 song of the week

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4 : I'll stick with AM order, Underworld being a great piece of 90s culture and a killer dancefloor track

#617: "Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004] : THAT one is fun to play in Guitar Hero (but far too easy) and a great sing-along song

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5 : AM order once more, by default... Hound Dog is the best song of the weakest bracket of the week

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969] - From the opening "Ground Control to Major Tom" to the end, this song is just amazing. I really don't understand how it works, but it just does.
2. "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals [1972] - Fun reggae song, but doesn't make me want to just delve right into the genre.
3. "Faith" - George Michael [1987] - You can never like this song without laughing at it first. Even though it's actually a good song, you can't go past the first line without chuckling, wondering how it became a hit.
4. "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets [2004] - The Streets is great, but this is too weepy.

1. "Tangled Up in Blue" - Bob Dylan [1975] - I had this at third first, but then I realized that this bracket just wouldn't look right if it wasn't it first. I don't listen to it all the time, but it is a great song, one of Dylan's best lyrics.
2. "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine [1992] - Rage are the only rap-rock band I like, and they are miles ahead of everyone else. Even when Zac de la Rocha's communist sympathizing gets old, Tom Morello's guitar playing just rocks, and "Killing in the Name" has all their best elements.
3. "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) [1996] - The most bumpin' beat of the 90s? Hells yeah.
4. "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd [1967] - I haven't spent enough time with early Floyd, but it's really good for fourth place.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971] - The archetypal rock and roll song? I wouldn't say no.
2. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone [1971] - The song that made me love early '70s funk.
3. "My Sharona" - The Knack [1979] - I loved this after I heard the first time for about a week, then it became the most annoying song ever.
4. "King of the Road" - Roger Miller [1965] - Doesn't stand a chance.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "Get Up Stand Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973] - Bob's best protest song that I can think of. Aston Barrett's bassline doesn't hurt.
2. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1979] - This is the song I always use to legitimize my taste in ABBA. Still, Elvis has done better.
3. "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969] - Overrated. It's good, but not that good.
4. "Chime" - Orbital [1990] - Repetitive. A good groove gone way too long.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Think" - Aretha Franklin [1968] - On a par with "Respect." I can't think of a word to describe the groove, but that it makes me want to dance like a Blues Brother.
2. "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986] - Funky and ice-cool, if a little silly.
3. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949] - I like this more than most country of this era, but not enough to put it above #3.
4. "Bust a Move" - Young MC [1989] - Pretty good, but really, really, corny.

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" - Neil Young [1979] - Proof that Neil really is the godfather of grunge. This song is just awesome.
2. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld [1996] - This is actually the first time I've listened to this song, and I'm quite impressed.
3. "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf [1956] - I never thought blues would be so asymetrically funky till I heard this, and even then I didn't realize that it could work.
4. "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans [1990] - Meh.

1. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [1965] - I thought the Byrds version was good, then I heard this. It just feels so organic and relaxing. (Don't know what it's about though.)
2. "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) [2003] - Overrated, but not by all that much. Beyoncé has a ton of sass to match that ridiculous horn sample.
3. "Paid in Full" - Eric B. & Rakim [1987] - Speaking of ridiculous samples, this song is chock-full of them. It's everything Scott Storch and 50 Cent have wanted to do their whole careers in one song.
4. "Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004] - I've been overexposed to this one.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley [1956] - All these songs are good but not great, so I'll go chalk here.
2. "Riders on the Storm" - The Doors [1971]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Space Oddity"
2. "Pressure Drop"
3. "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets [2004]
4. "Faith" - George Michael [1987]

The other three never really stood a chance. This is my second favorite Bowie song; rare air.

2. "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd [1967]
4. "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine [1992]

Kind of hard to top one of the best-ever dylan songs, although the other three are all good.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971]
2. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone [1971]
3. "My Sharona" - The Knack [1979]
4. "King of the Road" - Roger Miller [1965]

Zeppelin narrowly edges out Sly, primarily on the strength of Bonham's drumming.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "Get Up Stand Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]
2. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1979]
3. "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969]

Bob runs away with this one, it's one of his best early songs.

CHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Think" - Aretha Franklin [1968]
2. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]
3. "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986]

I hope the second best Aretha song upsets Hank. He's of course great, but I prefer Aretha.

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf [1956]
2. "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" - Neil Young [1979]
3. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld [1996]

Smokestack Lightning is my favorite blues track. It might not make it which is shame. I'd vote it deep into the competition.

1. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [1965]
3. "Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004]

Mr. Tambourine Man is a fine representative of Dylan's body of work as a whole. Hallucinatory, literary, stream of counscioness, genius.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley [1956]
2. "Shake" - Sam Cooke [1964]
3. "Riders on the Storm" - The Doors [1971]

The king isn't huge here, but Hound Dog is pretty inarguable. I've been told it had a big effect on the development on popular music.

1. "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals [1972] Not just because it was in GTA. Just happy early reggae.
2. "Faith" - George Michael [1987] Second best song out of Wham!/George Michael.
3. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969]

1. "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) [1996] Probably the best song out of the east coast/west coast rap feud. But looking back, it probably wasn't. Of course, it's still a great song, and great music video (though campy).
2. "Tangled Up in Blue" - Bob Dylan [1975] His last great song.
3. "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine [1992]
4. "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd [1967]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "King of the Road" - Roger Miller [1965] One of those campy little country songs, but it really reminds me of old-timey Americana.
2. "My Sharona" - The Knack [1979]
3. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone [1971]
4. "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971]

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969] - Incredibly sultry, yet really...I don't know, painful? This is a very sad song to me for some reason.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Bust a Move" - Young MC [1989] Great party song. Whenever this song comes on, everyone gets happy.
2. "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986]
3. "Think" - Aretha Franklin [1968]
4. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" - Neil Young [1979] Wow, what a terrible bracket for me. Only song I can stand in this bracket.
3. "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans [1990]
4. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld [1996]

1. "Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004] A crossover indie rock hit, one of those songs that defined this decade for me.
2. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [1965] I believe it is better than the Byrds version.
3. "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) [2003]
4.: "Paid in Full" - Eric B. & Rakim [1987]

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Riders on the Storm" - The Doors [1971] - This song just could be placed in any ensemble Western and fit perfectly. Just really sets the mood for anything.
2. "Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley [1956]

Weak week. Only few songs I really like.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969]
And again - the song of the week by Bowie. Let the adventures of Major Tom begin.
2. "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals [1972]
3. "Faith" - George Michael [1987]
Mr. Skinner has so many better songs.

1. "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd [1967]

Moonbeam
Sounds like The Beatles on some bad shrooms- not a winning combination in Moonbeam's book.
In pop elton's book the song that got description like that is defintely the winning combination.
4. "Tangled Up in Blue" - Bob Dylan [1975]

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "My Sharona" - The Knack [1979]
Good hit by one hit wonder. Wait. Are they still active? Wow.
2. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone [1971]
3. "King of the Road" - Roger Miller [1965]
4. "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971]

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1979]
ABBA meets Pulp. Great song.
2. "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969]
3. "Chime" - Orbital [1990]
4. "Get Up Stand Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986]
Approximately 5000 bands have made cover of this song. The original is still the best. Weird voice and way of singing by singer give extra points.
3. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
One of the anthems of 90's. Matt you really should watch Trainspotting. And I should watch it again.

1. "Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004]
Good indie song in weak bracket.
3. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [1965]

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
The last song recorded by Morrison and co. was not among their best but in this rather weak bracket it wins easily.
2. "Two Sevens Clash" - Culture [1978]
4. "Shake" - Sam Cooke [1964]

pop elton
Matt you really should watch Trainspotting. And I should watch it again.

I have all my comments typed up weeks in advance (I'm working on my comments for Week 15 right now), and in the time between when I wrote my comments for this week and when I posted them, I actually did see "Trainspotting." Very good movie, and the song fit very well.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1: "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals [1972]
2: "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969]
3: "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets [2004]
4: "Faith" - George Michael [1987]

Two awesome songs, one decent one and one that I could do without hearing again.

1: "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) [1996]
2: "Tangled Up in Blue" - Bob Dylan [1975]
3: "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd [1967]
4: "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine [1992]

There's not a bad song in the bunch but I don't think there is a top 200 for me either. Maybe California Love, but while that song used to be one of my favorites, I don't enjoy it as much anymore.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1: "King of the Road" - Roger Miller [1965]
2: "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone [1971]
3: "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971]
4: "My Sharona" - The Knack [1979]

I love Roger Miller and that style of country.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6

1: "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1979]
2: "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969]
3: "Get Up Stand Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]
4: "Chime" - Orbital [1990]

Tough choice. Oliver's Army is one of my favorite Elvis Costello songs, actually most of my favorite Costello songs come from Armed Forces. Yeah, I'm listening to it right now and I think I have to put it in front of a great Dusty Springfield track.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1: "Think" - Aretha Franklin [1968]
2: "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]
3: "Bust a Move" - Young MC [1989]
4: "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986]

Rough bracket here, a lot of highly regarded songs that do nothing for me.

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
1: "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld [1996]
2: "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" - Neil Young [1979]
3: "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans [1990]
4: "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf [1956]

Not a whole lot here but I do really like the beginning of Born Slippy. But then it goes it reverts to typical 90's club.

1: "Paid in Full" - Eric B. & Rakim [1987]
2: "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [1965]
3: "Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004]
4: "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) [2003]

First three are interchangeable with Beyonce and Jay-Z well behind the pack. Good song though.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
1: "Riders on the Storm" - The Doors [1971]
2: "Two Sevens Clash" - Culture [1978]
3: "Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley [1956]
4: "Shake" - Sam Cooke [1964]

Am I really voting this song #1?

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1 - "Space Oddity" - David Bowie [1969]
2 - "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals [1972]
3 - "Faith" - George Michael [1987]
4 - "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets [2004]
The first 2 songs are classics,guess Bowie will win again. He seems to get a lot of love in this forum. The other 2 are OK,but nothing special.

1 - "Tangled Up in Blue" - Bob Dylan [1975]
2 - "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd [1967]
3 - "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) [1996]
4 - "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine [1992]
My favourite Dylan song wins this group fairly comfortably despite the other 3 songs being near the top of their respective genres...

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1 - "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone [1971]
2 - "My Sharona" - The Knack [1979]
3 - "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin [1971]
4 - "King of the Road" - Roger Miller [1965]
'Family Affair' wins this by a country mile. Wonderful funk song. Surprising thing is,it might not even win. The other 3 songs are catchy enough,but not in the same league...

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
1 - "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield [1969]
2 - "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [1979]
3 - "Get Up Stand Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]
4 - "Chime" - Orbital [1990]
Very close between these songs. The first 3 songs are absolute classics. Dusty by a whisker - fantastic vocals and instrumentation. Not a fan of the Orbital song at all...

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1 - "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams [1949]
2 - "Think" - Aretha Franklin [1968]
2 - "Word Up!" - Cameo [1986]
4 - "Bust a Move" - Young MC [1989]
'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry' is surprisingly moving. Songs from that era don't usually strike much of a chord with me musically or lyrically,but this one - it's amazing. 'Think' I've never thought of as one of Aretha's best songs,but it's a good song. I remember buying a Cameo greatest hits one time just for that song 'Word Up'. I think to this day,it's still the only song I've ever heard off that album. Young MC? Sounds pretty naff...

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
1 - "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld [1996]
2 - "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" - Neil Young [1979]
3 - "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf [1956]
4 - "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans [1990]
'Born Slippy' easily. One of the all-time greatest intros. Hands down,the greatest electronic song of all time. Great Neil Young song off one of his best albums,'Powerfinger' is better though. 'Smokestack Lightning' is a classic of it's time,'The Only One I Know' an OK indie anthem,not one of the better ones though...

1 - "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [1965]
2 - "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) [2003]
3 - "Paid in Full" - Eric B. & Rakim [1987]
4 - "Float On" - Modest Mouse [2004]
Not really a huge fan of any of these. Listening to Mr. Tambourine Man reminds me of how much I prefer the Byrds' version,but it wins this by default. 'Crazy In Love' I sort of got sick of over the last few years. The other 2,I'm reasonably new to,but didn't do too much for me at this stage.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
1 - "Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley [1956]
2 - "Shake" - Sam Cooke [1964]
3 - "Riders on the Storm" - The Doors [1971]
4 - "Two Sevens Clash" - Culture [1978]
Quite a weak bracket. None of these 4 would have any chance in most brackets. Elvis by default with one of his stronger 50's songs. Hard to fault the perfect Sam Cooke,but I actually prefer Otis Redding doing that song and it's not one of my favourites of his. I've been enjoying the Doors a bit more of late,but 'Riders...' isn't one of my favourites at all. Not a huge fan of 'Two Sevens Clash' after 1 or 2 listens...

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4: Four songs I *thought* I'd never heard.

1. Howlin' Wolf- "Smokestack Lightning": I didn't know that music could be so funky back in the 50s!
2. The Charlatans- "The Only One I Know": A fun, psyechedelic song that is made by the hollow vocals- great track!
3. Neil Young- "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)": I just can't seem to get into Neil Young, but this is my favorite song I've heard of him so far- the guitars have a lot of emotion.
4. Underworld- "Born Slippy (Nuxx)": I didn't realize that I knew this song. It's a nice enough song, and certainly better than most 90s techno.

1. Modest Mouse- "Float On": 2004 was a great year for indie music, and the placement of this, "Take Me Out" and "Maps" on the Billboard Hot 100 was encouraging indeed! At face value, this is just a brilliant song- from the dance-stomp of the percussion and bass to the beautiful and emotive guitars, from the manic vocals to the transcendent chant-like outro that sends the song into Heaven.
2. Eric B. & Rakim- "Paid in Full": That beat it soooo late 80s and early 90s, but that's part of what makes this song so fun.
3. Bob Dylan- "Mr. Tambourine Man": When are we going to get to Dylan songs I like?
4. Beyonce- "Crazy in Love": My hatred for Beyonce knows no bounds. Her image, music and style are the equivalent of this to me:

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5

1. The Doors- "Riders on the Storm": My favorite Doors song, and I consider myself to be a bit of a Doors fan. The rumbling turbulence of the bass line, the shivering keyboard runs, ominously quiet guitar and drumming and Jim Morrison's whispered vocals that underlie each main vocals create a truly chilling, affecting atmosphere that makes it rank among my top 100 songs ever.
2. Culture- "Two Sevens Clash": Apparently this song is based upon some apocalyptic prophecy that 7/7/77, which is pretty cool. It a dark element that reggae usually lacks for me.
3. Sam Cooke- "Shake": Not one of Sam's better songs, but his vocals are just so buttery smooth that it works.
4. Elvis Presley- "Hound Dog": Ain't nuthin' by unappreciated by Moonbeam.

sonofsamiam

It's all in the horns.

The horns are the primary reason I hate this song and rank it among my bottom 100 ever. Instant headache.

Just under four hours left! Hurry hurry hurry!

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Space Oddity" – Number one by default since it is one of Bowie's stronger songs. Must have been stronger back then, but still a strong track.
2. "Faith" – I have to agree with Alex D that this song can be both a great song and funny.
3. "Dry Your Eyes" – I hear this fusion working.
4. "Pressure Drop" – Interesting early reggae song that in my mind could be a lot more.

1. "Tangled Up in Blue" – A song that hits on so many levels.
2. "Killing in the Name" – Probably their best song and most influential. Would win most other brackets.
3. "See Emily Play" – Wow on first listen this is my favourite Pink Floyd song even though I've only heard them at their commercial peak. With a few more listens I can easily see this moving up.
4. "California Love" – Kinda funky, but overall pretty bad.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Rock and Roll" – Such a great example of LZ at just rocking out as only they could.
2. "Family Affair" – Wow this clicked this week. I've never really liked any of their songs, but this week I've been digging this. I'll have to reevaluate.
3. "My Sharona" – Catchy intro with the song seeming a little creepy though.
4. "King of the Road" – Above average country or below average music.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "Get Up Stand Up" – Has a great vibe to it.
2. "Son of a Preacher Man" – Close second that is actually new to me.
3. "Oliver's Army" – Sounds like both the past and future to me.
4. "Chime" – Average dance music to me.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Think" – Right now I view this as slightly better than any other song she sang.
2. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" – A powerful and one of my favourite country songs.
3. "Bust a Move" – A great song of its era.
4. "Word Up!" - I like this song, but what is with the singing?

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" -Easily the best song hear and one of my favourite dance songs.
2. "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" – NY putting out a solid song that to me seems relaxed.
3. "Smokestack Lightning" – Good song, but doesn't seem to separate itslef from similar songs.
4. "The Only One I Know" – Does a lot, but doesn't seem to gel

1. "Float On" – The best and most fun song this week. Is a blast throughout its entirety.
2. "Crazy in Love" – I do love Beyonce and the sample and it might be number one without Jay-Z.
3. "Mr. Tambourine Man" – Would have won other brackets and I is so close to number two. One of Dylan`s songs that I see a beauty in not to mention powerful. I feel bad about it being third.
4. "Paid in Full" – Good song that momentarily loses my interest.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Shake – Stands on its own as a great song by one of the finest and influential singers of all time.
2. "Hound Dog" – One of my favourite Elvis tunes that is so fast and full of energy.
3. "Riders on the Storm" – I like their track this week with it's cool atmosphere though it does slow down a little too much for my liking in the middle.
4. "Two Sevens Clash" – Not my thing.

Moonbeam
SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4:
1. Howlin' Wolf- "Smokestack Lightning": I didn't know that music could be so funky back in the 50s!

Voting is now over. Results will be posted as soon as the points are totalled up.

Uh-oh... I just realized I didn't include someone's ballot. I need to re-tally the points.

RESULTS!

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie (58 points, 10 first-place votes)
2. "Pressure Drop" - Toots & the Maytals (49, 5)
3. "Faith" - George Michael (37, 1)
4. "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets (26, 1)

David Bowie continues his dominance in the first round of Bracketology, as "Space Oddity" becomes his sixth (!) song in the second round. The man has only lost two brackets so far, and he still has five songs left: two of his own, "Under Pressure" with Queen, and two songs that he either wrote or co-wrote ("Lust for Life" and "All the Young Dudes"). Toots & the Maytals kept it close for most of the week, but could not prove victorious. Toots, George Michael, and the Streets are all done after only one bracket.

1. "Tangled Up in Blue" - Bob Dylan (58, 12)
2. "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine (38, 1)
3. "California Love" - 2Pac (Featuring Dr. Dre) (37, 3)
4. "See Emily Play" - Pink Floyd (37, 1)

One week after putting his first song through to the second round, Bob Dylan puts his second through, this time in a runaway. "Tangled Up in Blue" never faced any real competition, taking an early lead and ending up with a 22-point victory. Rage Against the Machine and 2Pac both go one-and-done, but Pink Floyd still has three chances to advance. Dr. Dre has two chances of his own for advancing (his "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang" and a guest spot on Blackstreet's "No Diggety"), as well as three songs where he shares co-writing credit.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Rock and Roll" - Led Zeppelin (51, 8)
2. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone (50, 4)
3. "My Sharona" - The Knack (41, 3)
4. "King of the Road" - Roger Miller (28, 2)

In the week's closest bracket, Led Zeppelin squeaks past "Family Affair" by a single point to pull off the upset. "Rock and Roll" will face Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird" in the second round. The Knack hung around for a while, but ultimately did not have enough to earn victory. Sly & the Family Stone is now oh-for-three. Roger Miller is a man of the second round by no means, his time in Bracketology is over.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 6
1. "Son of a Preacher Man" - Dusty Springfield (54, 7)
2. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions (51, 6)
3. "Get Up Stand Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (45, 4)
4. "Chime" - Orbital (20, 0)

In another close bracket, Dusty Springfield shows that she has just enough to advance to Round 2, where she will face off against OutKast's "Hey Ya!" and the Beatles' "Penny Lane." Elvis Costello is now oh-for-two after "Pump It Up" lost in Week 1. Bob Marley is oh-for-three with only "Stir It Up" and "I Shot the Sheriff" remaining. Orbital ends up performing very poorly in their only bracket. Just how poorly will be demonstrated shortly.

SCHUBERT BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Think" - Aretha Franklin (50, 6)
2. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams (45, 4)
3. "Word Up!" - Cameo (42, 3)
4. "Bust a Move" - Young MC (33, 4)

I think every song held the lead at some point during this week. Ultimately the Queen of Soul was too strong. "Think" will take on the Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" and the Impressions' "People Get Ready" in Round 2. She and Hank Williams each have five songs left to advance, but Cameo is done. Young MC will no longer be busting moves in Bracketology; his time is over.

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 4
1. "Smokestack Lightning" - Howlin' Wolf (50, 5)
2. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld (49, 8)
3. "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)" - Neil Young (47, 4)
4. "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans (24, 0)

In an upset, Howlin' Wolf pulls out a one-point victory over Underworld. The Wolf will take on the Clash's "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" in the next round, but Underworld and the Charlatans are both done. Neil Young is now oh-for-two with only "Heart of Gold" still in contention.

1. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan (49, 7)
2. "Float On" - Modest Mouse (48, 8)
3. "Paid in Full" (41, 1)
4. "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) (32, 1)

Bob Dylan now has three songs in the second round, as "Mr. Tambourine Man" joins "Blowin' in the Wind" and "Tangled Up in Blue." Modest Mouse and Beyoncé are both out of Bracketology, but Eric B. & Rakim still have "I Know You Got Soul." Jay-Z still has "99 Problems." "Mr. Tambourine Man" will face Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" in Round 2.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 5
1. "Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley (53, 8)
2. "Riders on the Storm" - The Doors (47, 6)
3. "Shake" - Sam Cooke (40, 3)
4. "Two Sevens Clash" - Culture (30, 0)

In the last bracket of the week, the King finds ultimate victory, winning by six points over Jim Morrison and company. "Hound Dog" will face John Lennon's "God" in the second round. The Doors only have one chance left to advance while Sam Cooke has three, but Culture is done now that "Two Sevens Clash" is gone.

STATISTICS

WHO GOT THE MOST CORRECT WINNERS THIS WEEK?
1. nicolas (7 out of 8 - 87.5%) tie
1. SR (7 out of 8 - 87.5%) tie
3. Alex D (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
4. BillAdama (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
4. Harold Wexler (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
4. Midaso (5 out of 8 - 62.5%) tie
7. brose (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
7. Jackson (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
7. Lanka (4 out of 8 - 50%) tie
10. Matt Schroeder (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
10. Nassim (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
10. schleuse (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
13. Moonbeam (2 out of 8 - 25%) tie
13. sonofsamiam (2 out of 8 - 25%) tie
15. John (1 out of 8 - 12.5%) tie
15. pop elton (1 out of 8 - 12.5%) tie
15. VanillaFire1000 (1 out of 8 - 12.5%) tie

OVERALL TOP TEN (BY PERCENTAGE)
1. Michael (15 out of 19 - 78.95%)
2. Honorio (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
2. Mindrocker (6 out of 8 - 75%) tie
4. SR (50 out of 72 - 69.44%)
5. nicolas (61 out of 88 - 69.32%)
6. Alex D (49 out of 71 - 69.01%)
7. Jackson (16 out of 24 - 66.67%)
8. Harold Wexler (58 out of 88 - 65.91%)
9. Midaso (57 out of 88 - 64.77%)
10. brose (55 out of 88 - 62.5%)
10. Greg Rumpff (5 out of 8 - 62.5%)

OVERALL TOP TEN (BY NUMBER CORRECT)
1. nicolas (61)
2. Harold Wexler (58)
3. Midaso (57)
4. brose (55)
5. BillAdama (50) tie
5. Matt Schroeder (50) tie
5. schleuse (50) tie
5. SR (50) tie
9. Alex D (49)
10. sonofsamiam (47)

MORE STATISTICS

TOP TEN BEST-PERFORMING SONGS
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding (3.905 points per ballot)
2. "Good Vibrations" - The Beach Boys (3.9)
3. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (3.882)
4. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana (3.778)
5. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (3.75)
6. "You Really Got Me" - The Kinks (3.7)
7. "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley (3.667) tie
7. "Georgia on My Mind" - Ray Charles (3.667) tie
9. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast (3.65)
10. "'Heroes'" - David Bowie (3.611)

TOP TEN WORST-PERFORMING SONGS
1. "Chime" - Orbital (1.176)
2. "Donna" - Ritchie Valens (1.333)
3. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt (1.35)
4. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel (1.353)
5. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys (1.4)
6. "The Only One I Know" - The Charlatans (1.412)
7. "It's Too Soon to Know" - The Orioles (1.45)
8. "Crazy Arms" - Ray Price (1.474)
9. "Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer (1.529) tie
9. "Dry Your Eyes" - The Streets (1.529) tie

TOP TEN WORST-PERFORMING SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND
1. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (2.667) tie
1. "God" - John Lennon (2.667) tie
1. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (2.667) tie
4. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer (2.75) tie
4. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell (2.75) tie
6. "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley (2.778)
7. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman (2.810)
8. "Genius of Love" - Tom Tom Club (2.813)
9. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival (2.842)
10. "Blowin' in the Wind" - Bob Dylan (2.85)

TOP TEN BEST-PERFORMING SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND
1. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (3.059)
2. "I Can See for Miles" - The Who (3.053)
3. "Rid of Me" - PJ Harvey (3.036)
4. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions (3.0)
4. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division (3.0)
6. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (2.952)
7. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (2.95)
8. "Don't Worry Baby" - The Beach Boys (2.941) tie
8. "Ace of Spades" - Motörhead (2.941) tie
8. "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" - The Jam (2.941) tie

TEN LOWEST-RANKED SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND
1. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan (ranked #920)
2. "Ashes to Ashes" - David Bowie (#878)
3. "One More Time" - Daft Punk (#824)
4. "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma (#772)
5. "God" - John Lennon (#714)
6. "Karma Police" - Radiohead (#709)
7. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys (#696)
8. "Come as You Are" - Nirvana (#661)
9. "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel (#657)
10. "So What" - Miles Davis (#636)

TEN HIGHEST-RANKED SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND
1. "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" - Jerry Lee Lewis (#64)
2. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (#75)
3. "Mystery Train" - Elvis Presley (#83)
4. "Crazy in Love" - Beyoncé (Featuring Jay-Z) (#105)
5. "Walk on By" - Dionne Warwick (#109)
6. "Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld (#113)
7. "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - Hank Williams (#118)
8. "Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who (#121)
9. "Family Affair" - Sly & the Family Stone (#127)
10. "Sign 'o' the Times" - Prince (#129)

What's the score of OVERALL BOTTOM TEN (BY PERCENTAGE?)
Am I first or is Moonbeam leading?

I was so sure that at least Underworld and Modest Mouse would been the winners.
By the way I'm the guy to blame that average score of Orbital isn't 1.

pop elton
What's the score of OVERALL BOTTOM TEN (BY PERCENTAGE?)
Am I first or is Moonbeam leading?

I was so sure that at least Underworld and Modest Mouse would been the winners.
By the way I'm the guy to blame that average score of Orbital isn't 1.

Well, I wasn't sure anyone would want me to post if someone was doing poorly, but since you asked, here you go.

OVERALL BOTTOM TEN (BY PERCENTAGE)
1. Moonbeam (25 out of 76 - 32.89%)
2. Rune (14 out of 38 - 36.84%)
3. Jeff (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
3. netjade (3 out of 8 - 37.5%) tie
5. pop elton (34 out of 86 - 39.53%)
6. johan_at (2 out of 5 - 40%)
7. Nassim (34 out of 82 - 41.46%)
8. The Lone Gunmen (20 out of 47 - 42.55%)
9. VanillaFire1000 (28 out of 63 - 44.44%)
10. Henrik (14 out of 31 - 45.16%)

pop elton- I'm with you on Underworld and Modest Mouse. That Howlin' Wolf won his bracket is a BIG shock to me.

Oh, and both BillAdama and schleuse had "Chime" in the #3 spot as well. So you're not completely to blame.

That's awesome. Second least acclaimed music taste in the forum. Gives me motivation.

Matt Schroeder

That Howlin' Wolf won his bracket is a BIG shock to me.

Hey, come on , for once a bluesman goes to the second round, and not the usual Beatles/Bowie/Dylan or another depressed indie faggot (kidding of course)

That will make a change.

Still no reggae song though ...

nicolas
Still no reggae song though ...

Not quite... Jimmy Cliff's "Many Rivers to Cross" advanced back in Week 2.

Haha! I knew I'd be at the bottom of the percentage list!