Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Warning for E85 petrol in France

When going to France and need fuel there, don't pump the cheap E85 petrol, this is 85 % Ethanol, and will ruin older vehicles. It's marked "Super Ethanol"

Just a quick warning!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

Re: Warning for E85 petrol in France

Super unleaded used to be the fuel with least amount of ethanol so it’s now not the case - at least in France

Some of the independent tests we undertook at my place of work back a few years now - with varying percentages of ethanol led us to conclude that with EN15 EN20 - the real fun would begin for manufacturers/ but especially us classic vehicle enthusiasts

Rubber perishing will be least of our worries with this rot in our tanks

Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

This stuff is not Super Unleaded John, It's Super Ethanol!! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Lex's cropped photo seems to suggest that E85 (85% ethanol) is also 85 Octane.

Belgium is as per UK, I think. 95 Octane is 10% ethanol (E10) and 98 Octane is 5% Max.

Yes Rik, I use the 98 Super Unleaded from an independent Esso station (not a supermarket) and add a dash of anti ethanol additive.

I've just ordered a new bottle of this. Ron

s-l1600-3

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Up to the end of august 2023 Esso E5 contained no ethanol at all, at least in my area. I checked on their website. I bought 5 gallons and wintered my engines with it. My tuned Enfield 535 started much easier come spring. Apart from Ethanol being hydroscopic I don't have any problems using E10 on my 40's engines. I just don't leave it in for long periods. However it reduces the oil ratio in two stroke mix over time, leading to seizures, so I use E5 for chainsaws and mix no more than a gallon at a time. If it gets stale I dump it in my Series One.

I remember one two stroke MX manufacturer recommending mixing the oil and using in the same day!

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

In the UK we have 95(E10) 97(E5) and 99(E5)
I always use 99 octane if possible or 97 if it's not available. I had to put 95 in my Norton Dommie and International, and they struggled to go after. I had to drain the tank and refill with proper fuel.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I was running on E95 at the weekend and if anything, it seemed to go better.
Condensation would be my main worry if it caused corrosion.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Aloha,

Well actually, if you completely re-jet the carb your bike will run just fine on E85! :grinning: Fuel consumption increases with roughly 25 % and that is the ballpark where you start testing out jets.

A bit surprised you have no ethanol cars in UK? Was a big thing here in Sweden about 15-20 years ago, before electric was thought to be the future. Had a Saab 9-5 Biopower for a few years myself, 150 hp on gas and 185 on E85. Some people converted lawnmowers and such, for at bit of a cleaner "milieu" during garden work.

Best regards,

Simon

As M20s 16Hs etc run about 5 to 1 compression ratio they don't need high octane fuel. Their original jetting was based on something around 70. The only conceivable factor for a jetting change would be the viscosity. The octane rating is a red herring.

Aloha,

My post was about running a WD-bike on 85 % ethanol. As is the warning in the original message, E85 means 85 % ethanol.

/Simon

Nieuwe pagina 1