Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
J.A.P (J A Prestwich) V Twin advice needed

Hi, looking for some help regarding a suitable forum I could approach to get some advice regarding stripping down a J.A.P MTWD 750cc water cooled V Twin engine? In particular I need help understanding how the 4 pronged 'nut' that engages with the starting handle on the timing side crank mainshaft is removed?

MTWD-750-Jap-V-Twin-ts-Crankshaft-nut

email (option): steve@bsa-inc.com

Re: J.A.P (J A Prestwich) V Twin advice needed

Are these engines used in Morgan cars Steve?

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Hi Mark, yes possibly, I know some Morgan's were fitted with water cooled JAP's, not sure if it was the MTWD? I guess there would be some commonality between engine models

Hi, by the direction this 4 pronged 'nut' works I think that the 'slotted' round bit in the centre unscrews with a RH thread.
make or find yourself a 'two lip' large screwdriver or possibly adapt a 1/4" screwdriver socket from your socket set.
+ apply some heat to free it up I guess.....
succes

Hi Vincent

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try

I'm not having much luck with removal of the 'slotted' round bit in the centre as it is very difficult to get a purchase on it as the two slots are very shallow.

Has anyone got any ideas of the best way to proceed or does anyone know of any JAP engine gurus and which forums they frequent so I can get a bit more advice/suggestions?

Any help appreciated

Problem solved.

Tig welded an old socket in two places to the 'slotted' round bit in the centre. The heat from the Tig welding and use of a ratchet drive easily allowed removal the offending centre part. Incidentally it was a LH thread.

The outer 4 pronged drive is an integral part of the gear sitting behind it in the picture

Nieuwe pagina 1