Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Float bowl leak

Hi all, not familiar really with the seperate float bowl set up on my 276c/1b but as soon as fuel introduced ot fills and pisses out of 2 tony holes at the top. Im assuming the base of the float is where it seats when full but how does it come apart and is there a rubber seal on it or is it just a tapered brass fit to seal?

Re: Float bowl leak

Best to remove the bowl by undoing the fuel pipe and the banjo bolt. Once on the bench, undo the small hex locking screw on the lid and then undo the lid itself with the central hex. I assume you will find a brass float with a butterfly clip holding the needle.(modern floats are nylon) Squeeze the clip inwards to unleash it from the groove in the needle which will then fall out the bottom.

After you've cleaned and blown it all out, reassemble the float onto the needle by holding the needle up with a small screwdriver. If you then turn the bowl upside down, you can blow down the bottom spout to check that the needle is sealing, pressing up on the inverted needle will confirm it by allowing air to pass. let the needle drop again for a good seal.

It's usually just muck that stops the needle from sealing. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron, you were right i took the float bowl assembly out, the needle was slightly bent and the butterfly clip was doing notthing so ive put one in from another bowl i had and it fired up and ticked over. I am getting a slow return of oil to the tank more like a glug every few seconds(my C15 flows quite heavily) but i am hoping thats normal on these m20s? The only other thing slightly concerning is black smoke from the exhaust but im not sure if thats from the build up of assembly oil, the fact the exhaust hasnt had anything resonate through it for 50 years or its running very rich.

As mentioned in another recent thread. The choke is "OFF" when the lever is pulled towards you (tight wire) Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

That makes perfect sense now thanks Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1