Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Is this 1938 Norton 16H a genuine Military bike?

I guess it's just down to the individual...Personally I would want a military bike that is/was a military bike and therefore was originally built under a War Department or MOD contract...
The Royal Enfield airbourne 'tribute' bike for example just doesn't cut it IMO...After all, it doesn't matter how good a plastic jacket is it will never be a leather jacket....
Modern 'retro' bikes such as that and other machines stretch that term to the limit generally and are really there to satisfy a completely different market and users..

Regarding the originality or otherwise of a restored bike, that is a debate that will fuel discussions at club nights and on forums like this ad infinitum....The only comment I would make is that most restored bikes would still be off the road if the criteria was to use only original parts in every instance...
The fact many restored machines are not constructed from original parts and some models have very few in many cases (Gold Star for example) is ignored by most to preserve the credibility of the 'classic' market and therefore the values attributed to the bikes and to that extent it is a rather odd fantasy world...
However, how many would rebuild these bikes if they weren't worth anything at the end of the process and would there be any 'industry' supplying the necessary goods and services to carry out the work?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Rob
Blowing up the original picture I think it is actually a Big4 engine.
It definitly is a 1938 civilian model frame.

Cheers,

Rob
Rob, definitely NOT a Big 4 engine, otherwise I would have said so.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

Mark, pre-war civilian Nortons have a different frame from the WD type, both in terms of ground clearance and lugs and the 1938 pattern engine differs from the 1936 WD type in almost everything except piston and cylinder head.

It's not about "originality", but suggesting they are similar is a bit like comparing an M24 to an M20. Similar looking frame and timing cover after all ! :grinning:

Alex Schmidt
Rob
Blowing up the original picture I think it is actually a Big4 engine.
It definitly is a 1938 civilian model frame.

Cheers,

Rob
Rob, definitely NOT a Big 4 engine, otherwise I would have said so.

Cheers,

Lex
There is indeed the possibility of 79x100. The picture is not very clear.

cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

I attended the auction. That's a rare bike. Brit prices were well down, except for the Panthers.....

email (option): jeremy@clogmaker.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1