Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1938 Norton 16H.

Re: 1938 Norton 16H.

An Indian serviceman, but not an India-Office machine. It looks to be British War Office to a 1936 specification (no crankcase shield, no front grab handle and a Lucas rear lamp rather than a Rubberlight).

Gloss Bronze Green too, from the look of it.

Interesting air filter! It looks a bit like the filter from a civilian gas mask of the time.

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

India office 16H from 1937. Ron

A-1937-India-Office-MCS-CEA-WD16-H-Air-Filter

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Allan, its a Vokes C.1A "Protectomotor" filter. There were trials on several types of WD motorcycle, all with good results, but after a year or so of fitment during 1936, rather oddly not continued with as factory fitments.

IMG-0422

Probably a bit too close to the back wheel for comfort? Plus it probably added another 2/6 to the build cost. :slightly_smiling_face: Ron

£2-2-6d, Ron ! How out of touch with prices are you ? :grinning:

Cat-ref-4-C8753-R

It makes me smile Rik, when I consider that the price of two 16H's would still probably not buy you a second hand CZ27 ammeter today. :thinking_face: Ron

I concur with Rik that this is not an India Office machine. May have been used in Palestine or Egypt by Indian troops.

There was a steel plate between the rear wheel and this type of air cleaner, much like the one on the left hand front fork of a Big4 to deflect excessive dust from the rear wheel.
There is one such aircleaner still aroud but I have not been able to trace it. Hussein sold it to "an Englishman" some years ago.
Rather annoying as it is probably lying around uselessly.
I would really like to see more details of it and obtain dimensions. I made a number of guesstimations but would like to have it correct.

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Rik
£2-2-6d, Ron ! How out of touch with prices are you ? :grinning:

Ron got the 2-6d right, just £2:short :joy:

email (option): Horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1