Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
forum picture

So far no one asked what bikes are on the forum picture.
Not M20's so I was puzzled.
My guess; Triumph sidevalves (?)

Re: forum picture

Yes indeed, Triumph 3SW from contract C/7162. Very nice picture by the way!

According to O&M, the frame number sequence for this contract contained gaps. And there were 143 3HWs added to this contract. Am I correct when I say that this was the contract that Triumph was building when Coventry was bombed during November 14th 1940? During the Coventry Blitz the Triumph factory was completely destroyed, production was postponed until the new factory in Meriden had been set up...

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Limited production (or at least assembly) was carried out at a temporary site (Nicknamed 'The Cape of Good Hope') whilst Meriden was being built...

Interestingly, Bert Hopwood recovered (stole!) some wall lights he'd always liked from the boardroom of the factory the day after the bombing and eventually put them up in the living room of his retirement home in Torquay....I remanufactured a few parts that he'd misplaced along the way to make the lights complete...Stupidly I didn't keep the drawing or the letter of thanks he penned....
Interestingly, after his retirement he still owned the Rover car that was his company car whislt at BSA...They gifted it to him when he left...There were just two entries in the logbook...BSA Motorcycles and Bert Hopwood!!...That was a car I'd love to own!..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I think you are right about the bombing Jan. It looks like just a few more 3SW were supplied from temporary factory, Cape Warwick in 1941 before production of the 3HW started. The 143 added to that C7162 contract were actually the pre war 3H. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Indeed a wonderfull picture. Again.
And a funny story about Bert Hopwood. I understand that he developed the Norton twin engine.
Long ago I was offered a complete and running model 7, wich I stupidly didnt buy (Things like that hunt you for the rest off your life)

C7162-1
C7162-2

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I guess they added the "W" anyway. Ron

Scan-20230921-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1