Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One for all you Photo experts.

For some time I've been trying to make sense of many of my late Fathers WW2 stories.
I finally after many years of being told it didn't exist, obtained his service records.
Of course it raised more questions than answers.
As part of the British Expeditionary Force the 2nd Royal Sussex Battalion all but got wiped out.
My Father was conscripted into the Territorial Army, to sign up with the Wiltshire TA.
When reporting he was made up to a regular soldier, then transferred to the 2nd Royal Sussex as a replacement.
Missing out a few other short postings he is sent to Brayton Barff Camp, Selby, Yorkshire for training for about five months.
Then to Rye in Sussex for a year or so before being Shipped to Egypt.
Based on this, and I think this is a earlier M20 and more likely in Yorkshire around Selby or in the South East around Rye.

Does anyone recognise the location? Or have any information about what took place at this camp. It was a couple of fields over from the later POW camp 53.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Re: One for all you Photo experts.

They look to be wearing GS caps which would date the image as 1943 or later.

Some Khaki-Drill clothing in there too. Did he finish the war in Italy ?

Re: One for all you Photo experts.

I thought he looked quite young and assumed he might be still in the UK Rik.
He did Alam Halfa and El Alamein with the 2nd Royal Sussex. He rode a M20 in the sand, but the picture is lost.
After they disbanded the 2nd he Joined the 1st. Royal Sussex.
So Cassino and up to the Gothic line till November before Police duties during the Greek civil war.
Then finishing in Austria in 1946.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1