Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wheel problems

Hi all just a quick question, my back wheel on my 1940 wm20 keeps ripping inner tubes, I have had a rim lock on the wheel but it does not seem to be helping, any ideas??.
Many thanks.

email (option): dewheelie@gmail.com

Re: Wheel problems

If your running the tyre pressures stated in the original manual that could be the problem...They are much too low for modern tyres, leading to a lack of grip between the rim and tyre wall and tyre 'creep'...
Generally speaking if your not trialling your M20 off road with low tyre pressures you don't need tyre clamps....I've never fitted them on any of my BSA singles for normal road use or for moderate off road use on standard pressures (including Gold Stars)...Also, do you have the right size tyre for the rim and the right tube for the tyre section?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I think I put in about 22psi this time, so I will keep them with more in them. Ta.

email (option): dewheelie@gmail.com

On a modern tyre you should have 28-32 psi in the rear tyre...Many tyres have the correct pressure marked on the sidewall...I put in a little more when the bike is loaded up for touring...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Also if you are ripping out the valve core ? you need to leave the lock nut lose and not tighten it up against the rim. I always leave a 1/2" gap between nut and rim this allows for movement of tyre and also you can spot when the tyre has crept as core will be at a angle, when this happens just deflate break bead and turn tyre to correct core then re-inflate ..

Nieuwe pagina 1