WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
rear stand spring

hi , anyone got away of getting the spring on the two location pegs please

email (option): 2e0prp@gmail.com

Re: rear stand spring

A tool for the job is the only practical way of fitting the rear spring...Without that it's very nearly impossible. In fact that's why I decided to make something up....I have one I made myself and one from a forum member who came up with a better design than I did at my first attempt...

I'll post a picture of it later if nobody beats me to it....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I must admit it crossed my mind to make some.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

This is the one that came from a forum member in NL. It can still be a bit awkward as it can squeeze up the spring loops a bit. But as Ian said, near impossible without something like it. Ron

PS why the silly pseudonym?

EXP-DC-339

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

That's the problem I see Ron, the tool covers the loops.
I'm away for 10 days tomorrow, so I'll look at the idea when I'm back.

Mark

Put Me down for one when You get them into production Mark please ?

email (option): s.foster11@blueyonder.co.uk

Yes, I made a few of the ones pictured, hope they all work like they should.

Never noticed the deforming of the spring loops, Ron... will have a look on that next time I use it.

What I did notice was that the M10 thread can hardly handle the force of expanding the spring, so I keep mine well greased and then it works OK. M12 would probably have been a better choice.

Mark, you're welcome to copy and improve the tool, you have far better workshop equipment than I have :+1:

20230824-184217

BR. Michiel

Yes, I keep a liberal coating of graphite grease on the thread to prevent galling caused by the extreme pressure...I generally knock a tapered punch into the spring eyes to expand them and ensure they are an easy fit over the mounting pins before employing the tool...

One small problem that may warrant further detail work is the clearance between one of the pins on the tool and the footrest mounting lug when fitting the spring to the bike...There is slight interference at that point....A good tool though and as I noted better in some respects than the one I made!..Ian

It looks like Michiel has already dressed one of the loop posts with a grinder?

I've been very grateful for that tool. It was the spring loops on my B30 that squeezed up a bit. I thought it was the same spring as an M20, but maybe the loops are lighter or smaller??

Regards Ron

DSCF5605-3

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks, good to hear, yes, there is indeed a small conflict with the footrest lug, and I also remember a conflict when panniers are fitted.

But can be used when the bike is on the stand, or with the stand up, or somewhere halfway, so always a way to find to get it fitted or removed.

I also use it to extend the spring when blasting and spraying the spring, that why mine is KG3 now. :slightly_smiling_face:

BR Michiel

I did the same for painting...Nice to get the paint inside the coils of the spring...Ian:relaxed:

hi , many thanks for of your inputs , looks like i will have to make one of tools to fit that spring, some very good in puts , thanks Mary

email (option): 2e0prp@gmail.com

Untill I made a similar toolI used to fit the spring first then fit the stand to the bike
That way you can use the actual stand for leverage
Still not an easy task but does work if you do not end up pulling the bike on top of you
I have done it with the bike on the front stand and with the bike on a jack .

Thanks Michiel.

Mark

Nieuwe pagina 1