Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Repairing a brass bodied Lucas lamp

I have this nice Lucas sidecar lamp suitable for my Norton Big 4, but it is quite well dented and has a crack around the top.

I was watching "The Repair Shop" on the BBC and the brass musical instrument restorer used an appropriate sized steel ball with a very strong magnet to remove some dents, I'm wondering if this may be an option with this lamp, I guess I may mave to anneal it first and this heat may result in the lower stem becoming unsoldered?

Any thoughts or experiences anyone?

Or is there an expert I could send it to?

Rob

Picture-160

Picture-161

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Repairing a brass bodied Lucas lamp

A couple of years ago I had to repair a brass headlight rim for my WD/C. I had found the rim in Beaulieu, very cheap, but it had been in a crash or something, it was badly damaged. Well, I've only used a purpose made small dolly and a light bodywork hammer to take all the dents out. No annealing needed, and I was very pleased with the result.

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Thank you Jan, it may come to hitting it with a hammer but I will try the magnet trick first.

Rob

Without any form of professionalism, I've managed to straighten several items over the years by just having a go.

Also Rob since your lamp will ultimately be painted, any remaining minor blemishes can be tidied with a tiny bit of body filler. Ron

DSCF0603
DSCF0625
Big-4-036

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It might be worth annealing the lamp body before commencing work to soften the brass and to lessen the chances of it splitting...There's info on the internet.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you chaps, a magnet has arrived but it may not be powerfull enough, still waiting for the steel ball.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Lidl often have welding magnets for about £6. Annoyingly strong.

The 42mm 61kg pull neodymium magnet I bought isn't strong enough so I have sent for a 160kg pull magnet.

But it seens I am going to have to keep them at arms length because of my pacemaker.

Rob:fearful:

Nieuwe pagina 1