Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1940 Triumph 3HW?????

Hi All. I would like to tap into the vast amount of knowledge on this forum. Could anyone verify the ID of this bike please.
Frame no 'TL24349' and engine '3HW 32583' From the limited records that I have access to, I wonder if it started life as a '3SW' but has had a '3HW' engine fitted sometime later. What can be confirmed from these numbers. Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation. Pete

Re: 1940 Triumph 3HW?????

Indeed TL 24349 was a 3SW from contract C7162 in 1940. The engine is from 3HW contract C13948 1942/3. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron, 3HW 32583 engine number is to low to be from contract 13948.

Of course Steve! I was looking at the frame numbers, forgetting that the engines are 10,000 away! Strange number! A picture might help. Ron

Hi all. This bike has now been listed on ebay if you would like a look. All thoughts and comments welcomed along with any ideas as to it's current value. It would be a good project for me Thanks. Pete

It's not coming up easy! A link to the listing would be handy. Ron

Hi all. This bike has now been listed on ebay if you would like a look. All thoughts and comments welcomed along with any ideas as to it's current value. It would be a good project for me Thanks. Pete

Yes Ron. That's the one.

I think the girder fork on that bike is off another model, they aren't triumphs own, or later 1942 onwards webbs except the fork shock absorber knob, other parts are a mix of pre war and wartime parts, if the engine number is correct it could be from a batch of spare engines with lower numbers, 3HW engine numbers start at around 3HW 40000+ or maybe just below, if it's a spare parts engine they usually have a brass tag riveted under the magneto platform.

Nieuwe pagina 1