Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 'Midland' Pannier bag carriers...

A slight correction to Ian's post on the 11th regarding OEC (Osborne engineering company).. ..the company moved from Gosport,just across the water, to Pompey in 1933...
Since the 20's they were a motorcycle manufacturer (using proprietary engines,Blackburne ,JAP and more) by the time the war broke out they went into producing solely for the war effort including the panjandrum and aircraft parts...they had a reputation for slightly eccentric machines and were also involved in a scandal in 1930 regarding a world motorcycle land speed record.... they submitted some truly bonkers prototype military 3 wheeled vehicles to the government in the late 20's....(definately worth looking up the history on the marque.never a dull moment!)...I had a go on a mates OEC Commander, with the ludicrously complex " duplex" steering and it actually handled very well!........as a little footnote "Montgomery of Alemain" was portsmouth football club president postwar..!...regards to all you fine fellows...pip pip

email (option): jacko1977pfc@gmail.com

Re: 'Midland' Pannier bag carriers...

I've now looked at lots of BSA photographs and in most cases saying the washer is there is an enormous leap of faith, but it appears that when the washer is fitted the slot in the strut doesn't go all the way to the bottom.

There are photos of M20s with the slot all the way down but these machines are probably 1942 or before, I'm strugling to find later war M20s without the short slot so it appears that Steve may be right, BSAs were factory fitted with a specific pannier frame with middle washers except in the case of the retro kits and possible early on?

Rob

Early machine, long slot.

Later machine, short slot.

423a

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1