Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dull Chrome again...AAARGHH

I'm still looking for a company that can carry out dull chrome plating to the correct finish and within a reasonable time frame...I didn't think it was too much to ask but few seem prepared to provide a sample of their work, many want an open ended arrangement timewise and some can't be arsed to reply to repeated email queries when addressed to 'info.@'....
Having had all my M20 parts plated twice to a poor standard already (and at considerable expense) by companies that say they can do it but can't, I need to find somewhere that can ACTUALLY do the job correctly before it's all polished away to nothing and I go broke....Any suggestions from someone who is happy with what they have had done?..Post some pictures of the results if possible please....Ian:persevere:

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Dull Chrome again...AAARGHH

Any suggestions from someone who is happy with what they have had done?

Yes, I've copied each and every nut, bolt, stud etc in stainless. Took me a lot of time on the lathe and on the milling machine, but after some gentle bead blasting it looks just like dull chrome (in my opinion). One exception: I made the fork spindles etc for obvious reasons in high tensile steel. They had to be chemically blacked anyway, and that's something you can't do with stainless.

I thought you were also a stainless man Ian?

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I think we are talking about control levers and I am approaching a point when I may have a complete set to replate too.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Jan...I've replicated everything that's practical in stainless...All the fasteners, parts like the fork stem nut, wheel nuts, rear brake pivot spindle etc. etc....There's lots of it!...(in fact you made the pannier carrier wing nut bolts for me!)..
However, I'm left with the fuel and oiltank caps, kickstart, gearchange lever, parts of the handlebar levers and a few other parts that aren't practical to reproduce in stainless (I would if I could!)...Ian

Ah, thought so!

I've had these parts hard-chromed, after bead blasting. The treatment they use for hydraulic cylinders (without bead blasting, as they need a smooth finish). It looks like dull chrome in my eyes.

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

I've used the same firm for many years. I must admit that the finish is not always consistent. I was immensely pleased with the Doherty levers on both my Norton's and also my Matchless Bowden levers.
The other levers I've put together for my WB30. Obviously not all parts are from the same batch of plating, but in the grand scheme of things I don't mind that. Plus my relationship with the firm is such that they will always redo stuff (free) that I'm not happy with.
DSCF2762

DSCF5667-2

I'm not prepared to recommend them as it's bound to go wrong.....As Ian is aware :white_frowning_face: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Not that I have had it done, but a company in the Northern Blacking group do Nickle Zinc plating that they claim replaces Cadmium plating.
I have had electroless Nickle done that is quite matt in appearance.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

The duller version of Tin plating is a fairly good substitute for cadmium....It's quite durable as the parts are copper plated before the application of the tin...I've had the filler cap mechanisms, rear brake return spring and some other bits and pieces done and I'm pretty pleased with them...Ian

Not surprised that you are finding it hard to find a dull chrome plater as it is a hand made job.
As such you need to find some one who as a small barrel tank
Once you have turned a tank to dull then it can not be used for bright chroming till all of the electrolyte is replaced and usually the old solutions discarded
Down here sending off old plating solutions for disposal is $ 20 / litre and that is only after you have neutralise it to pH 6.5 to 7.5 so very expensive for a 500 gallon tank .

Trevor, I've always thought the charges for removal of spent plating solutions criminal.
Surly most of the metals can be chemically/electrically reclaimed, and I expect the other components?

Mark

Is there actually any record of how "dull chrome" plating was carried out in the years 1930 to 1960, approximately ? I've yet to find a UK plater who seemed able to give a feasible explantion and it's clear that some hope to get away with plating over a bead-blasted surface and others try to flash over dull nickel.

I'm not convinced at all. Original 1930 Norton fasteners show all the milling and turning marks. They're barely fettled. They were definitely not bead-blasted prior to plating.

Then there is the puzzle of Raleigh Cycle Group dull chrome. I play around a lot with 1950s bicycles and it's characteristic that the reverse faces of components such as chain rings and brake calipers are often dull on that side and bright polished chrome on the front. How did they achieve this if the dull plating was the product of an alternative process? The bright chrome doesn't wear back to a dull surface, and the dull doesn't cut back to shiny...was it a directional thing in a final plating sequence that put a bright layer over a build-up of dull plate ?

Dull-Chrome

Proper mid-Century dull chrome is "smooth", even though it's not reflective.

Rik
Is there actually any record of how "dull chrome" plating was carried out in the years 1930 to 1960, approximately ? I've yet to find a UK plater who seemed able to give a feasible explantion and it's clear that some hope to get away with plating over a bead-blasted surface and others try to flash over dull nickel.

I'm not convinced at all. Original 1930 Norton fasteners show all the milling and turning marks. They're barely fettled. They were definitely not bead-blasted prior to plating.

Then there is the puzzle of Raleigh Cycle Group dull chrome. I play around a lot with 1950s bicycles and it's characteristic that the reverse faces of components such as chain rings and brake calipers are often dull on that side and bright polished chrome on the front. How did they achieve this if the dull plating was the product of an alternative process? The bright chrome doesn't wear back to a dull surface, and the dull doesn't cut back to shiny...was it a directional thing in a final plating sequence that put a bright layer over a build-up of dull plate ?

Proper mid-Century dull chrome is "smooth", even though it's not reflective.
Rik is right about Raliegh cycle parts i have always wondered this. I had a set of original Palmer motorcycle rims. These were bright chrome on the edges but the centres and the inside well were dull chromed. I always thought that this would have been ready for the rims to have the centres painted with dull chrome being unpolished and a little ruff which would give a key for the first coat of paint. No idea of how this was achieved but i think its down to the polishing.
I recently had a pair of solid levers dull plated by my local plater. He knows his stuff and has been in the game a long time taking over from his father. I talked with him and he wanted a good sample which i gave him. He told me that the process and materials to do this are lomg gone. He took my sample and a few scraps of mild steel from me to experiment . He took his time and what he achived was very near to the original sample i gave him. I could see that very little if any polishing had been done on the samples. It was defiantly plating and not just zinc plating.I gave him my solid levers and clamps to dull plate and i was happy with the finish. He's done more for me recently but i have noticed the finish varies. He says he needs a sample evey time. Price is eye watering though:grimacing:

Nothing I send for dull plate goes near the polishing shop (That can add £40-£50 an hour). They remove any existing plating by reverse electrolysis and then bead/light grit blast everything so that it's all matt to start with. After that I've no idea about the process, but it's never expensive!

Here are some RE standard Amal levers that have covered many miles since they were done years ago. Ron

DSCF1554
DSCF1553

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Interesting topic! I always had the feeling, that at least some parts were treated with some kind of abrasive action before being plated, not sure what exactly, but can sometimes be seen on NOS parts.

The way I go about with it, is to first completely clean the parts, beadblast, deburr, clean up threads, restore hex's with a file, then either lightly wire wheel, or polish, and after that I will very lightly beadblast the parts again, and only then bring it all to the platers, I use a firm in Rotterdam, Holland, as they do some matt chrome plating from time to time, but it has to wait till they have the special baths for it. I also did do some parts, without the beadblasting, and found it came out too shiny, so I will keep using this method, it's very, very labour intensive, but you can make it as nice as you want.

The costs are also high for the plating, about a euro, for a washer, more for bigger stuff, but there's really nothing that comes close to the superb finish, and it looks very nice, even after ten years, but needs to be kept a little oily, otherwise small rust spots may appear, but they can be removed with fine steel wool.

Will try to find some pictures, but people who have seen my Big 4 outfit, will know what it looks like, a nice dull surface, with a blueish sheen on the chrome.

Cheers,

Lex

NOS dull chrome bezel

My plating on special Norton 1/4" nuts and bolts.

Some more stuff

My plating on stainless steel made Norton headbolts (early type) this was a very succesfull experiment!

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

yes, interesting! I did a test with my aqua blasting and this happened:
20230714-192330
20230714-193809

dry blasting does -as you know- not work as it eats at the chrome.
as you will notice only a tiny bit of 'lifting' happened near the groove, so care still needs to be taking, dont linger too long on one spot
this however looks useable :wink:

email (option): info@wetblast.nl

What you need to be asking for is "Satin Chrome"

https://www.midlandpolishing.co.uk/services/satin-chrome/

Mark

Unfortunately, the terminology has not been standardised. Norton, in the factory records refer to the finish as "dull chrome" and I believe that other period sources do too. Most modern chromers using trivalent chromium talk about "satin" or "sateen" and provide a brushed finish. Nobody seems to be able to replicate the 1930s - 1960s finish consistently and yet it was clearly a mass-production process..but seems to have left no trace of what was actually done.

I've looked in all the old engineering text books that I can find and they're vague at best.

Whatever "period" dull chrome was, it was clearly cost-effective and easily available...cheaper than polished chrome. It can't just be down to the nickel layer, or Raleigh couldn't have achieved different finishes on different faces. There is a simple trick here somewhere and it's been forgotten.

Here's an Amal spec card for the WD16H. "Usual bright parts dull chrome finish." If a modern chromer refers to this as "satin", then they're incorrect. It's "dull", or it's a different finish.

CARBSPEC-WAR-OFFICE-3

"Dull" Chrome is what Machless & BSA called it.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Exactly, here a 1940 page of the G3WO parts list, unfortunatly they didn't use the prefixes anymore on the G3L parts lists.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

Nieuwe pagina 1