Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil Supply B31

Gents, I have a question about B31 oil supply, similar to M20 so should be Ok.
I have fitted a tap in the supply side of my bike (tank to eng). I have tried ALL of the usual fixes, but bike stands for long periods and sump fills over time, so time for a tap.
Fitted tap Ok, but, not sure at what rate oil should be supplied via the supply line. I didn't check before fitting the tap so don't know what it typically should be. Getting the thing done was a pig of a job so I don't want to put it back together and run the engine to check return flow to tank. I measured the oil feed, tank to engine at 100mL in 5 minutes.That seems pretty slow to me. I think flow should be something like 4.5cc per second ?
FYI, because of non standard fittings, which is all I could find today, had to remove; supply pipe, return pipe, air cleaner, exhaust pipe, seat, oil tank mounts and more bits. I am using a petrol tap in line with supply pipe.
Bit of a ramble I know, but can't move on until I know what the flow rate should really be. TIA. Time for a Bintang.
Baz

email (option): binnawan@iinet.net.au

Re: Oil Supply B31

If you are going to fit a tap which you have done then make sure the bore of the tap when open is the same id as the original oil pipe. Taps can be dangerous things if you forget to turn them on. Maybe best to check the oil pump out first.

I think you are right Tim. Petrol tap is proably Ok for fast flowing gas, but no good for thick oil.
I will pick up an oil valve tomorrow.
I doubt any problems with pump. This bike was restored by a technician with the Mercedes AMG Maserati F1 team. He took 7 years and 7,ooo pounds to restore. Meticulous restoration ! I am lucky to own this bike. I am just fed up of draining the sump every time I want to start it.
Baz

I agree with Tim, as long as you duplicate the bore sizes of the pipes throughout whatever you fit you'll be OK...
On all my bikes I drill and tap the crankcase drain plug 5mm dia. through and fit a 5mm allen screw with a fibre washer to the plug...That eliminates the requirement to keep removing and replacing the drain plug, which carries an inherent risk of the thread in the crankcase failing...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ooops ! That's Maclaren, not Maserati. :wink:

Maybe a better alternative would be a tap with an electrical cutout. My brother and son both have them on their G3L's which especially my brothers will sit for months without use as he is abroad. The ones they have are from Kingpin components, very nicely made and dont look out of place. I have no connection to them other than having fitted them and being very happy with how they work.

https://shop.kingpincomponents.co.uk/oil-tap-with-cutout-switch

Clever use for that neglected 3D printer.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1