Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best valve spring compressor for a M20?

I have a few different valve spring compressors. They are all at least 70 years old and made for side valve engines. They were made for cars not motorcycles. Some are too big to fit an M20 and some work OK but are perhaps not the best choice.

What I am wondering is what is considered the best one for a M20? I am guessing the BSA factory made one for the bike? If not what is recommended?

Re: Best valve spring compressor for a M20?

I use a Snap On 'scissor action' valve spring compressor that I bought years ago....Easy and quick to use....I'll post the part number off it later if it has one....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The Snap On compressor was a copy of the Clarke-Feather, who originally patented the design....CF49 is the number for the Clarke version...The last Snap On version, which is no longer made, is the CF49A....There is also an Australian copy in production...The 'Toledo' part number 304185...It looks very similar but I've never seen one close up...
I guess as you are in the States you'll probably be able to find a used CF49A for sale....Ian

A quick internet browse indicates there are more copies of the original design...!!

Snap-On CF-49A; Herbrand VL-540; Lisle CF-49A; New Britain VL-151; Cornwell VT-124A; Mac CF-49A; Kennedy VT-49; Indestro CF-49A; OTC; Blackhawk VT1002; Wilde 695A; Duro Chrome CF-49A; Toledo 304185; Bonney RC-120; Cal-Van 578....

Thank you, Ian.

I will start looking on Ebay.

I use a B & S 19063
They used to be around $ 25 ( Aus) they now seem to be $ 75 - $ 150 US
If I kne they would inflate like that would have bought a case of them not just 2
https://www.amazon.com.au/Briggs-Stratton-19063-Spring-Compressor/dp/B002WNY2YS/ref=asc_df_B002WNY2YS?tag=bingshopdesk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79989544424846&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589114429835&psc=1

Nieuwe pagina 1