Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Engine sprockets. 18T to 20T

Whilst looking at primary drive chains I though I should run a cutter around the teeth of a clutch basket.
1/2" by 0.335" roller. 428 chain, that makes it easy. My personal chain of choice is Regina.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

5/16" is the distance between the plates. The old talk of measuring was the roller width .305". Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Interestingly, after the discussion on this thread I contacted Reynolds customer services dept.....They don't actually make any chain that they market as 'Motorcycle chain' or are prepared to definitively state is suitable for that application. They now supply chain only for indistrial use and I believe the bulk of it, if not all, is now manufactured abroad...
Like Mark I favour Regina chain...It's the closest thing to Reynolds in that the overall links are less dimensionally bulky than the Japanese equivalents and I've had good service from it...(It's Italian)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I would agree, Regina is a good choice for a chain. IWIS a German chain is also very good.

As for Renold, the reason the quality has gone down is due to the fact the chains are now made to an ISO standard which is fine for industrial use but the ISO standard does not take in to account the abuse a motorcycle chain sees. Renold has to compete on price with other companies and making the chain in the UK to the old standards would make it too expensive for industrial use. Riders of modern Japanese and European bikes have never seen a Renold chain as their bikes never came with one. Renold can't make a profit on just old British bikes so they stopped making the chain.

Renold does still sell motorcycle specific chain but if they actually make it themselves or are just licensing the name to some company in China, who knows? Regardless, it is a cheap industrial chain.

https://shop.renold.com/collections/motorcycle-chain

I was told this by a chain distributor in the UK who has been in the business for many years.

If the Italian bike makers ever go out of business, Regina motorcycles chains will also be gone.

Nieuwe pagina 1