Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pannier bags etc

Can anybody advise me where to get repro canvas paniers and the canvas protector that fits around the fuel tank filler

email (option): hunterandy413@gmail.com

Re: Pannier bags etc

Frank Brown at pegasus-drive@sky.com

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

What do you think of the kay Canvas Pannier Bags Ron?

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

The Kays pannier bags look identical to the ones that were previously made in the U.S...If they are the same ones then they are generally well made but I did have an issue with the fit of the leather corner pieces over the bag carriers...The corner pieces were a nats too close together making it impossible to fit them totally correctly...Moving the corner pieces is quite a job as the are riveted with metal stiffener plates fitted...They fade quickly to a more used look which I liked personally....
So, just in case, the main question I would ask is about the distance between the corner pieces if you are considering a purchase, measured inside the leather corners from one side of the bag to the other...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I've never come across the Kays bags. But if it's what Ian says, then I agree about the fit and also the "orange" canvas was better after it faded. But that canvas was a bit too lightweight. Whereas Frank uses the correct weight canvas. Ron

Has anyone a link to or know who sells these kays bags

I know that SOF - soldier of fortune were selling bags at one point too

Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Th SOF ones are the Kay bags....Ian

The Kays bags are, I think, manufactured exclusively for S.O.F as they are not advertised elswhere or on the Kays website...They are UK manufactured so although they look like the US made Schipperfabrik bags they (hopefully) don't have the same fit issues....Does anyone know the curent price of the 'Pegasus' bags and the weight of the canvas used for those?....

Finally, can someone with a micrometer and some original bags measure the canvas thickness?...Ian

I have over a dozen pairs of original bags here Ian (Various makes). I'll mike up the thickness's tomorrow. Ron

Thanks Ron...Ian

I just measured one from every pair of bags I have:-

NOS and hardly used bags are around 50 thou thick

Well used bags are down to around 40 thou. (probably due to the dressing being weathered out).

Two well weathered back pack bags I have are 55 thou.

I'm fairly sure that canvas weight it determined in "Ounces" But I can't remember what the onz weight is that Frank decided is the correct weight.

Hopefully he can confirm. Ron

24 oz canvas is .052"...20 oz. is .042".....From somethng I read a while back but couldn't recall with certainty I had it in my mind they were 24 oz....

Your measurements seem to bear that out...I know replicas I've seen (and had made) were too light and I hope to find some correct ones...
At least I can ask the question about canvas weight now with confirmed knowledge of what they should be...Ian

Hi. I have been making repro pannier bags and Y straps for a lot of years now and have many happy customers all over the world. Each set is made to order so can be tailored if you have a any special needs. I always have Tan or green canvas in stock but can make them to your specification as long as material is available. So far I have managed to keep the price the same (£180 plus post as of 27,6,2023). Yes SOFs are cheaper but not as good. Contact me by email above or find me on facebook.

email (option): pegasus-drive@sky.com

Please post the results from your research Ian.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Nieuwe pagina 1