Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 Lubricants

Hello,

I'm about to get a 1942 BSA and I've been looking over the manual but I really don't know a lot of the listed lubricants. I was hoping some people on here could let me know the right things to use.(I know oil can be controversial) I've listed the ones in question below.

-CG-1 (AL): unknown
-OE-30: seems like just SAE30 oil says some forums
-OE-50: seems like non synthetic 20W50 says some forums
-WB-2: Unknown
-GO-90: Unknown

Also this might be another silly question but it says "repack with shops" for a couple of things like the rear wheel hub and I'm not really sure what they mean. Maybe just repack the bearings.

Any advice would be appreciated.
-Christien

email (option): cbibler@yahoo.com

Re: M20 Lubricants

It was fairly simple for an M20. momograde SAE 30 was the weight considered for the winter and SAE 50 for the summer. The same oil is used in the gearbox and primary case.

I compromise with Morris's classic Golden Film SAE 40 all year round......(In all my bikes for 30 odd years) Others will have a different opinion.

Originally the fork links were oiled with a Tecalamit gun but I use a modern grease gun. I never pack the hubs with grease, I prefer to periodically strip, clean and repack the bearings. It works for me! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I use an SAE 40 for the engine most of the time...In exceptionally hot weather I'll put SAE 50 in the engine, particularly if I'm doing a long run (100 miles plus) in hot weather...I don't use an SAE 30 at all though I used to when I rode (15 miles) to work throughout the winter and the conditions were sub zero or close to it...I do, and always have, done oil changes at 2000 mile intervals as recommended by BSA apart from running in when they are much more frequent...
I use SAE 40 in the gearbox...
Like Ron I prefer to remove the wheels and clean and repack the bearings periodically....Usually once a year if my mileage is average, twice if I've done a lot of touring...That gives an opportunity for a general inspection of brake shoes etc. as well...
I've changed to using ATF (automatic transmission fluid) in the primary side to help prevent sticking together of the clutch plates as a Triumph type 4 spring clutch is fitted....
I use a light grease for the forks and other areas such as brake cam spindles and rear brake lever pivot etc....I've also fitted modern grease nipples to fasclitate this...
Nothing for the steering head bearings as I used sealed bearings for that application....I've never had a lubrication related engine failure (such as big end) in 50 years of riding BSA singles so I guess I must be doing something right...:relaxed: Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

https://pesltd.uk/?product=GF40

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

What grease do you use/recommend specifically?

I use any modern soft wheel bearing grease. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Morris Oils K99 waterproof grease or Silkolene Pro RG2 synthetic (also waterproof) are both greases designed for that application..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

https://pesltd.uk/?product=K99

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Thank you all for the information!

Nieuwe pagina 1