Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: KM or M20

Following my previous post... Just had a look at the engine ledger. No overwritten or crossed out destinations here:
- Destination "War Office - London" up until #7100
- Destination "Ministry of Defense - Dublin" from number #7101 onwards.
The WM BSAs had matching numbers, which makes separate frame and engine ledgers unnecessary. But they were used to separate books, and that's how they continued, notwithstanding the fact that both books contained exactly the same information! It looks as if the frame ledger was the "master" ledger, and all the data from the frame ledger were copied in the engine ledger. Obviously the errors weren't copied, so no overwritten or crossed out destinations here...

But: the "Ministry of Defense (Dublin)" entries continue up until number #7239 (139 bikes) in the engine ledger, where the "Ministry of Defense (Dublin)" entries in the frame ledger stopped at #7200 (100 bikes). Must have been an error in the engine ledger me thinks... 🧐

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hi John,

Frame #4952 was indeed despatched to the "Dept. of Defense" in Dublin.
I have lots of examples where somebody mis-stamped a number and stamped the correct number over the mistake. So I'd go for 4952, not 7952 (which is far too big for KM production anyway).

Cheers,
Jan

John has asked me to post these pictures of #4952. I would say that the man who had to stamp this number had a number 7 in his hands while he thought it was a 4. He noticed his mistake and quickly stamped a 4 over the 7… Errare humanum est... 😊 Please give us your comments!

729b9191-fce4-4345-aa68-407c92e11d61
e4f1cd2f-1847-4c66-b428-1ee50236871b

Yes, factory misstamp, i would say..

Not sure, the 4 looks to be smaller.

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

I've enlarged and printed the picture, and measured the numbers. The 4 has the same height as the 5 and the 2. It's the 9 that is 10% taller... 🧐 Again something that is not really unusual with these old stamps.

Nieuwe pagina 1