Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cush drive nut removal

Finally getting back to this bike.

Issue is leaky gearbox out of the drive end. I have the new sealed bearing and necessary gaskets in hand and am in the process of taking out the gear box.

Its been about 20 years since I had it apart last, and am at the point of taking off the cush drive nut. If I recall, I used a hammer/chisel last time and replaced the nut with new as it was buggered when I found it.

I have a tool to engage the nut, although it uses a cross shaft to turn it as opposed to a nut and socket. At the moment, I am trying to figure out how best to keep the motor from turning when I put the tool to use.

Suggestions would be welcome. Things will need to be held still when putting it back together too.

Anyone?

Re: Cush drive nut removal

Soft rope ( the platted type ) down the spark plug hole till it get jambed between the piston & head
A long bolt down the timimg hole to do the same thing
holding the crankshaft nut at the timimg side
putting it in gear & locking the brake or rolling the front wheel into a wall so the bike can't move
A socket place in the clutch chainwheel to jamb the primary chain
probably a fewmore that did not come to memory
All of them have potential problems so must be used with care
The rope down the plug hole is the one least likley to do damage but hard on a side banger where the plug is not over the cylinder .

This is how I do the cush nut and clutch nut. The special sockets were made by the late Robb Nortier. Ron

M20-481
M20-366

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I have a 6 spring clutch in my bike, so that is not as much of an issue.

My cush drive tool is similar to the one in Ron's second picture, but requires a cross shaft to operate. Leaving aside holding the engine from turning, it is clumsy to operate as one hand is needed to hold it in place and two more hands to apply force with a cross shaft.

Thinking I may be best served to modify my tool to add a means of using a power tool to operate it.

this is a recurring issue, maybe time to put it in the technical section. :thinking_face:
I use a simple bar of aluminuim placed as in the picture (turn around to tighten/ loosen the cush nut). No need to lock the rear brake or stuff string in the cylinder.

SAMSUNG-DIGITAL-CAMERA

email (option): petercomley@web.de

here's another picture of the setup
lockiing-primary

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Nieuwe pagina 1