Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Helt identifying gearbox parts

…and I of course mean that I want HELP identifying parts. Darn you apple!

Simon the shell top left and the outer cover next to it (with damage) and the inner cover over to the right, all look like war time M20.(Or similar model) The other parts look like post war BSA. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanx Ron!

I currently have a B33-gearbox on the bike and would like to replace it. I therefore have started looking through the remaining baskets in search of possibilities for a M20-gearbox.

/Simon

The center outer and rignht side inner are the bits for an WM20 box
Apart from that you should replace the layshaft as the B series box should have the speedo drive on the end of it
If you just want to look like it is the right box then just replace the outer cover and pop a plug in the speedo cable hole
You will need this hole to add oil unless you fit a Wm inner as well .
Quite a few people run a B series main case with an M series inner & outer.
This allows them to sue B seried sprockets that are cheaper & easier to come by and of course it also hase a proper oil seal so does not leak through the sleeve gear if you should do a stupid thing like actually ride your bike

Thank you Trevor!

It is not so much that I feel an urge to have the bike look like an original, it does not do that anyway, not by a long shot. The gearbox that I have at the moment is a bit troublesome with false neutrals and a very strange gearing. If there is a seal on the drive side it has long ago creased doing its job. As oil is leaking out quite heavily.

Anyways, thanks for the input. Now I know a bit more and I might, or might not move forward with building a gearbox.

Best regards,

Simon

Nieuwe pagina 1