The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton 16H ?

Hi guys,
a small question.
Cleaning up the barn I found a front brake lever with a choke on top, all completely made off brass.
Handlebar size is the normal 22 mm.
Could this be from a 16H ?
Or is it from something else ? Any ideas ?
(I'm not a hero in posting pictures)

Re: Norton 16H ?

Email me the picture Michel. If I can't ID it, someone else will. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The only 'combined' Norton levers were pre-war and all 1" rather than 7/8"...As far as I'm aware, they all had steel brake and clutch levers too....so this item doesn't sound like Norton.

I might be interested in buying it if it's surplus....Can you e mail me a photo?...Ian

Is it like this?....

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

That's not a combination lever Ian. Ron

A mere detail...:laughing: ...How about these?...Ian

Yes those are Bowden Ian. They must be 7/8" (unless shells are used?). If so, some contracts of G3L's used them. 1" were fitted to G3's. The same casting was used for both sizes which means that 7/8" can be bored out to 1".

Not many WD bikes were fitted with combination levers. Regards Ron

Hallo Ian and Ron,
could very well be this one Ian.
I will try to sent you both an email (my son will help me, haha)
Must say I've never seen one of these on an M20.

I believe they were fitted to later Matchless machines but with pressed steel not brass blades...I like the choke and air levers mounted on top of the main lever as it reduces 'clutter' on the handlebars...I just got rid of the pressed steel main blades and fitted the brass ones from the M20 levers that didn't have mounted air and adv/rtd levers...The last picture showing the levers is an M20 I used to own but I have the same set up on my current M20...I'll look forward to getting a picture or two....Ian

You are right about the pressed steel Bowden levers Ian. But at least some were fitted with the solid brass levers as can be seen from this page from contract C14499 (1941)

Then the pressed steel levers were replaced from frame 39551 to the standardized Amal levers. Then post war they went back to the pressed steel levers but the air and mag levers had a knob on the end instead of the earlier flat end.

I've only learnt all this by consistently getting it wrong over the years:confused: Ron
Scan-20221105

Nieuwe pagina 1