Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Finish of speedo & ammeter rims? (One for the rivet counters)

Hi all,

Quick query: I'm assuming that WM20 speedo and ammeter rims were dull plated, not bold as brass (early 1940)?

Craig

Re: Finish of speedo & ammeter rims? (One for the rivet counters)

I resemble that remark ! :grimacing:

Presumably you're referring to the bevelled edge type...Definitely dull chrome.

This one is dated 11/39.

CZ27-front

..and this speedo is 12/39

Jaeger-Jan-frt

In addition to Riks comments on outer finish you should note that on earlier bikes (m20) that there was still a very high degree of pre-war civilian spec parts fitted

This extended to the ammeter & speedo too

Early cz tended to have a sharper / chamfered edge to the bezel versus more rounded type seen later
Early cz tended to have domed glass, later flat - some with a light aperture which was illuminated by light escaping from a gap/ hole in the upper reflector
Early cz also had terminal posts with 2 nuts versus the later style with hexagonal posts & grub screws similar to that of the light switch

Early Speedos also had a sharper / chamfered edge but this also changed to a more rounded bezel later in line with the CZ - the speedo face - smiths / jaeger reference number being singular is an indication of an early version - super cessions were visible & printed on dial face -
There are some here very knowledgeable on speedo so they may correct or expand on this
In addition - earlier faces had a yellowish / orange line instead of the more common white face line seen later
The earlier line colour is a bit debatable as time has created colour change / fade etc - but this is another earlier feature associated with BSA
Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thank you both: comprehensive and with pictures! I'm off to examine my ammeter contacts...

As on the pics that rick posted.dull chrome for the early.iluminated and domed glass.later ones are only brass with paint on...
I have repaired lots of ammeters and never see the later bezels are dull chrome

Nieuwe pagina 1