Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 Front wheel Bearings

Hello,
Moved to Florida and now getting back to the WM20 rebuild. The found an old school machine just a few miles. He is putting valve seats in a 1948 Cushman 53A. It is civilian model of the Airborne WWII 53 model.
I have to replace the front wheel bearings. Has anyone machined the wheel hubs to take a standard off the shelf bearing? The rear wheel takes a non-tapered bearing. They are cheap and available.
Thanks,
Charlie

email (option): Cbhaws@verizon.net

Re: WM20 Front wheel Bearings

Machining the hub is a bad idea. Your choices are to use a sealed ball bearing of the correct OD and make spacers/sleeves so it all lines up or Dragnafly in the UK has tapered roller bearings they have modified to fit. OD has been ground smaller and the ID has a sleeve/spacer to fit the axle. This is probably the simplest way to go. Unless you have access to a lathe as the sealed ball bearing option makes for less maintenance.

The original bearings BSA used are obsolete but can sometimes be found but at very expensive prices. I was quoted $375 for each bearing years ago!

Well I don't fully understand the original post? Are we talking about an M20? What's the Cushman got to do with it?

Alternative wheel bearings for an M20 have been discussed at length several times. Maybe try the search box.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

i have the front wheel Bearing NOS M20
if u interested i can help
cheers

email (option): sl_hussein@yahoo.com

Its obvious, Charlie has a Cushman wheel fitted in his M20.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Thanks Bruce for taking the time to provide a sensible answer.
Thanks

Charlie, please don't suggest that I was not being sensible!! I answer loads of questions to the best of my ability. But the question itself must be understandable??? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hello Ron,
It has been awhile since I have checked in. Life is is fast forward mode. While wintering in Florida a neighbor’s daughter asked to buy our New Jersey home. Had to pack, sell, give away 28 years of hoarding stuff. Sold seven motorcycles, three boats and a ton of parts. What a nightmare. As you suggested I did a search. If found it very useful. I also found an old school machine shop. Give him the specs and he does the rest. The Cushman Airborne was something to mess with while I got the Florida shop ready to tackle the basket case 1944 WM20.
Thanks for all your help.

Nieuwe pagina 1