Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas Ammeter identity

Hi
Does anyone have a lucas parts catalogue which lists ammeter types by part number
I have a pre war - I think - black face red dot ammeter - very much in the style of very early cz27 / cz13 - metal body & bezel - screw type terminals & what appears to be the remains of a bulb holder at the rear

No markings are visible other than the part number 364028

Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Lucas Ammeter identity

Well I've never seen one with a black face John. This is the pre war version up to at least 1939. Has a domed glass. The post war version has + and - instead of 8 8 and a flat glass. Unfortunately I don't have a pre war Lucas catalogue. Ron

DSCF3440-2

DSCF2987-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi John. I've got a 1939 Lucas dealers master catalouge. I'll try to find that number. Regards Hamish.

email (option): fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

I've found the part number in the 1934 Motorcycle parts list. It didn't appear in the 1932 listings and was gone by 1936.

It is the CZ11 L5 and only appears listed in conjunction with the "V39" panels...I'm not clear if they are headlamp or fuel tank switch panels.

This panel seems to include a resistor and it seems that ammeter spec was dependent upon resistance. I'm no nearer to finding an application for this ammeter.

Fire-Shot-Capture-001-Lucas-parts-1934-pdf

Interesting. It's listed in my 1939 catalouge as a CZ11/ L5.
8-0-8,black dial finish ,Chrome plated bezel and finally with a 3/8 x 4BA bulb bracket,presumably on the back. Hope this helps.

V39 switch panels,With various double letter codes were used on the following makes...according to a 1937 Lucas catalouge.
1935 model Ariel's
1936 Chater Leas
various small capacity New Imperials
Matchless D80 & D90
James 600cc deluxe
All model 1935 Norton's except CFI & CJ
OK Supreme OHV 490cc
1936 250cc P & M
1936 250cc Rudge
All 1935,1936 Sunbeams
1936 Triumph S-1 500cc side valve
1936 Zenith coil ignition models
Someone on the forum will hopefully recognise the switch panel type ....but I'm unsure if this is of any use to J O'B as different number ammeters appear listed.

Thank you Rik, Hamish & Darren

I bought this at beaulieu & whilst I knew it was early - I didn’t realise it was that early - mid 30’s

Somehow - the next thing I need to find is a copy / reprint of a lucas catalogue from the period

I won’t be using it on any of my projects due to its period age - so I will look to re-home it

Many thanks again
Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Good work, Hamish. I've been staring again at the image which I posted, and going a little cross-eyed to be honest. It looks as if the columns don't truly line up.

The catalogue does make it clear on examination that the CZ11 L5 was fitted to switch panel 308226, the V39C ('C' indicates coil ignition) and that the appropriate switch appears to be the U39C

I can find no V39C specified from 1935 to 1939. It had a resistance wire, being pre-CVC and had an SB6 cutout.

I wonder if the fact that it does not appear in any application list might indicate that it was never supplied as original equipment with a UK built motorcycle. Perhaps offered for 1935 but never taken up by one of the majors...There were plenty of small two-stroke manufacturers, of course.

We'll have to create a back-story and say that they were reintroduced in 1939 for coil-ignition WD motorcycle as the white-faced instruments were too visible to the Luftwaffe ! :grinning:

Nieuwe pagina 1