The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Information and census no

Hi I am looking for the census number of my 1941 royal Enfield 350 wd
Frame no 10922 -engine no 10922
It’s a overhead valve model I am trying to restore to WD as it had a terrible black paint job any information greatly appreciated
Thanks Adrian

Re: Information and census no

I make that the 4922nd bike from 5000 under contract C12425 delivered in 1942 I think.(model WD/CO) Census number C5109122. No doubt Jan will be along with the actual date of despatch and any other relevant details. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the information

Hi Adrian,

Frame & duplicated frame number 10922 are in my Register. This bike was offered for sale by Andy Tiernan in 2019, and it reappeared in July of this year when it was sold on eBay. I guess that's where you bought it.

s-l1600-5

But... the engine was (and probably still is) a side valve, not an overhead valve. And the bike has a center stand, not a rear stand. Which makes it a WD/C, not a WD/CO. It was despatched to the War Department on 23rd April 1941, under contract C/7182. This was an RASC contract for 6000 bikes (frame numbers 5901 - 11900). Census numbers for pre-RAOC-RASC-amalgamation RASC contracts can unfortunately not be calculated. On top of that, there were 4, maybe 6 blocks of census numbers. It is all very confusing. Considering that this bike is approximately the 1000th bike of this contract counting backwards, the census number must have been somewhere in the late C989XXX - early C990XXX region. See also table below.

Schermafbeelding-2022-09-08-om-15-29-41

I've also added a picture of a bike that could have been yours (census number C989981, source: IWM H28662). The picture was taken at an officers' training school in March 1943.
H28662-1

Hope this helps... :relaxed:
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Thank you For the information at least I can get somewhere near the right number
Very much appreciate you time to look it up
Adrian

Bugger! Adrian said it was OHV! What a mistake a to make a:persevere: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Sorry still learning just what royal Enfield owner s club put on certificate 👍

Hi Adrian,
If you send me an email I will send you some extra information on the WD Royal Enfields.
Regards,
Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1