Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Identifying a WB30

Greetings knowledgeable ones.
I'm going to view what I'm told is a B30 project. I gather that many parts are specific to that model and that two main versions were produced - the first 50 lightweight prototypes with 5,1/2" brakes and the production version with 7" brakes.
Is that correct?
I'd be greatfull if any "in the know" out there would be able to confirm or contradict the following details for the production version -
Forks as per WC10/11
Front hub narrow 7" as per 1939 B24 but with speedo drive added on nearside.
Rear hub as per 1939 B24
Petrol Tank, not fitted to any other model?
Frame specific to this model, similar to 1939 B series but front engine mounts different.
No brazed on lug on the subframe for field stand? Otherwise as pre war B series?

Does anyone know if an illustrated parts book is available anywhere? That would be a great help.
Thanks in anticipation, Rupert.

Re: Identifying a WB30

I've restored two of them for a dealer friend. One is from the first production contract with 5" drum. The other is the later contract with 7" drum. The forks are different on both. They are certainly not KC10 forks but the brown one is very similar to the WC10, but whether they are identical in all respects, I don't know. Neither do I know what other models and years other parts could be used from.

The frame was specially lightened so I think is unique to the model. Ron

PS if you pass on this one could you give me contact details please......I definitely wish I'd bought the early one when I had the chance:disappointed:

B30-004
B30-2-090

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Rupert
with the help here of forum members I have gathered most parts & paperwork for my WB30 project to the stage where I now have most items

Drop me a line if you need reference papers or photos

There are many differences in this model along with tinware, forks, wheels/hubs - electrics etc - mine has a field stand lug - all indicates 1942 as year of production

My motor has the later coil valve springs - although I have a “spare “ WB29 motor in the background in case the internals on mine are shot - I will rebuild this as an RN contract in service brown & a 7” brake up front

Some rigid b31 parts are relevant & can be modified - rear hub is rigid b31 same part number as 46 & the rear mudguard on mine will be a modified b31 - there are some but slight differences between but using an existing bsa made part is the way forward for me at least

Still hoping to find a WB 30 drivers handbook

Good luck with your project

Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Here's a picture of the one I restored a few years back...I still have a lot of WB30 information to hand...I'm going to Netley Marsh jumble tomorrow morning but feel free to contact me after the weekend for info. if you need it....Both versions differ in many ways from the B29 and from each other....The early one Ron restored is now in the National Motorcycle Museum, I saw it there a few weeks back...Mine has found its way to Stuart Bray via a couple of other owners...High frame numbers [over 1000] were Post Office bikes or employed for other non WD uses but are built to similar specifications to the late RN contract...That had frame numbers 600-700..That was the only completed and delivered production batch..At least some of these went to Malta and I heard of one which was sent to Singapore from where it was shipped to Australia...The early pre production and troop trials types include a few anomolies and I have photographic evidence of at least one that has been re engined using an engine from a later unfinished contract...Interestingly two of the early type were sent to Canada and one to the USA...The reason for that is unclear...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Many thanks to all three of you, valuable clear pics and information. Knowledge is indeed power, at least power not to waste money on the wrong thing.
Makes sense that this mid-war model would utilise parts from models immediately pre war and that immediate post war models would carry on using some parts which are similar if not the same.
Clearly a few key items need to be present to make any B30 project a viable proposition.
Rupert.

If it is of any help I have the Instruction Book for Contract C8330 for WB30 frame and engine nos. 101 - 150. The drawings and photographs indicate hairpin valve springs - an AC generator with a dry battery located in the headlamp. The front hub is shown as the small diameter front hub and the machine is fitted with a bulb horn not an electric horn. The tyre inflator is mounted off two points on the rear carrier as opposed to being located under the fuel tank.

If it is any help I will gladly make a photocopy of the Instruction Book and send it to you.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

As a matter of interest the rear stand is particular to the B30, the B29s having a cast not tubular stand..I was lucky enough to have access to a stand off another B30 to take measurements, enabling me to make a replica for mine..Just one of the B30 parts that is completely unavailable generally...There were three different versions of the B30 engine, each of which had particular differences even though the general layout was very similar...
I have copies of the drawings for two of the engine types and a full size ex factory drawing of the other...I also have some B30 parts lists on file and a lot of other information...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1