Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1939 KM20 - Was it a WD bike?

Thank you, are the records that you used to find the despatch date and location available online?
Regards Nathan

email (option): nljb345@hotmail.com

Hi Nathan,

I have sent you an email with some additional detail - it's original Irish Registration number.

Regards,
Brendan.

Registration ZC 5892 was allocated to an M20 with engine 633
I believe many were registered with engine numbers as opposed to frame no’s as the frame was on the engine mounting lug & not on the headstock
This with the frame/engine protector tinware made it easier for the engine number to take preference as the frame reference was partially obscured

1697 doesn’t appear with records to hand - not surprised as I have gaps to fill in on my files from 38/39 ledgers at the library in Dublin

As an early machine - the Irish army took a large quantity of m20’s in 1939 and among the early models many were panel tank models with foot & hand change - very few photos exist - but some video evidence has highlighted some
Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Hi Nathan, When I read your post and saw the frame number, I thought, "That rings a bell" I bought a KM20 with frame KM20 1697 but with engine KM20 647 on the 15/09/1976 in Rathfarnham, Dublin. It was frame, forks, wheels, gearbox, oiltank (with screw-on cap) and valanced rear mudguard. It had the magdyno and chaincases with the 8 spring clutch. No petrol tank and foot change gearbox
In 1976,(the year of hot summer)there wasn't a lot of information about on old bikes, no classic bike magazines, no internet, there was MCN and Motorcycle Weekly for the adds. I had a plan that I was going to go to Arnhem with the MVCG (now the MVT )in September 1977 with the bike but as the weeks rolled by I realised that wasn't going to happen unless I could source the parts I needed. My brother Rod came onboard and we bought a batch of WM20s which we then concentrated on. We got to Arnhem in 1977 and I got to Bastonge in 1978 and I'm still "chuffing" about the place on my WM20, 45 years this year. We never did anything with the KM20
About 15 years ago I had to do a clear out and we sold off our surplus M20 stuff, including KM20 1697 to a man in Co Monaghan.

If you wish,I'll e-mail some photos to you if you do buy the KM20.

Mike

email (option): mickwalsh57@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1