Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1944 BSA WDM20 boat anchor and other gearbox hell

You may remember Ian, that on a trip to Beauluie many years ago, You suggested raising my needle a notch....Which promptly snapped when you went to reinstall it. I had to nick Rob Miller's needle to get home. (Lucky for me, he had trailered his bike). Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I remember that Ron...and the overheating problems on the way there!!....:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ron Pier
You may remember Ian, that on a trip to Beauluie many years ago, You suggested raising my needle a notch....Which promptly snapped when you went to reinstall it. I had to nick Rob Miller's needle to get home. (Lucky for me, he had trailered his bike). Ron
I remember that, my M20 wouldn't go because both my rebuilt mag and Martin Bratby carb failed at the same time, and rather than helping me get it fixed my friends robbed it of donor parts for Rons bike, just as well I don't bear grudges and witter on about these things years later.

Rob:grimacing:

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I read these last posts with interest because I'm currently running in a new piston & bore in my WM20 taken out to 600cc. About 100 miles so far.
Speed is kept to about 40MPH, allowed to 45 on downgrades & not lugged. The plug colour is a nice mid brown.
The carby is a 1" 276 as my correct 1 1/16" has issues. Main jet's a 170 & the needle's in #2 groove. Would it be a good idea to richen the mixture, & would I raise the needle, use a bigger main jet or both?

Bob I presume you have fitted an M21 crank? The Amal book quotes a 160 main jet and needle position 2, but in a 1 1/16" carb. I'm not sure how it calculates with the smaller carb. Maybe raise the needle a notch for running in and see how the plug looks from then. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron, thanks for the reply. Yes, there's an M21 crank in the engine so for practical purposes the engine's a standard M21.
I'm glad you pointed out the 160 main jet, I'd thought it was a 170. So while the carb settings are a bit mixed up for an M21, it's not too lean. I'll raise the needle a notch for the running in.

Nieuwe pagina 1