Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tank Numbers - correct protocol ?

Hi - I am restoring an Australian 1941 BSA WM20 Motorcycle and about to paint the registration numbers on the tank. My information points me towards the British method of using C12345 type numbers but apparently when the bikes came to Australia the tank numbers were painted over with Australian Registration numbers like mine 86372 without the C.
Can anyone verify this for me please - also I would like to know what the C stood for ? I dont believe it was contract as the contract number was very different.

email (option): jam.smith@bigpond.com

Re: Tank Numbers - correct protocol ?

"C" was just a code that indicated "Motorcycle". For Example :- light vehicles = "M"...-Medium vehicles = "Z"....-Heavy vehicles = "L". Tanks "T" Ambulance "A" etc. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The number on the tank is called the Census Number. The C prefix is for motorCycles.

When I check the AWM ledgers, I can see that WM20.49484 was issued with Australian census number 86372. This is a motorcycle from contract C/9310 (frame numbers 44213 - 53212; census numbers 4553722 - 4562721). With this information we can easily calculate the British census number of your bike: C4558993.

This is a factory-fresh M20 from the same contract:
bsa-wm20-ns-iwm-kid

But here you can see how the census number was overpainted upon arrival in Australia:
Australian

And this is a photograph of sister bike C4558184 (WM20.48675)
C4558184-WM20-48675-Australia-80034

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Thanks Ron - starting to make sense now - Cheers Jeff

That's great Jan - Now I know exactly what to do with my tank number with confidence. Thankyou very much. Warm regards Jeff

Nieuwe pagina 1