Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Forum picture BSA M20 COB 260

O&M has this shown as a modified prototype M20 although the registration doesn't match those listed for the prototypes?

The kick start appears to have a washer and bolt in the end to hold the rubber on as on the foot rests, never noticed that before, is that used on other early M20s?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: New Forum picture BSA M20 COB 260

'COB' was a 1936 Birmingham series. It looks as if the bike was already registered by BSA when sent for assessment and then subsequently received a Middlesex government number - EMV 196. The EMV series was issued around December 1936.

PC270698

Some late pre-war WD16Hs were fitted with what they referred to as a 'Roller Kickstart' and appear to have had a captive steel tube on the arm...I've never seen one though.

That's rather odd, O&M also show EMV 196 which is in Military colours with the serial C 363543, so it appears this machine was returned to BSA to be militarised at which point the head steady was removed.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

That is indeed rather odd. The bike referred to in the MWEE inventory book on the photo Rick posted is this 1:

6b4fa2c34ffdd5bab6be56d1c648f5ac

This particular M20 should be the 1936 protitype which was tested by the MWEE in 1936, that corresponds with details on Rick's photo.

The photo I placed on the forum page with 'COB' is referred to as one of 2 bikes which was delivered to the MWEE in 1937 for testing. This was a new bike (not the improved 1936 one) according to the test reports, which I have copies from. The 1937 'COB' was improved on a few points and it was especially noted in the 1937 test report that it was 'equipped with a W.D. panel type air cleaner'. See below a photo of the left handside of the 1937 'COB' bike, which I found in Kew.

@Rick: What do you think? Is it possible that number 'COB 260' was transferred to another M20 in 1936? Or do you think something else happened?

IMG-7399

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

BSA were allocated blocks of registration numbers which they issued themselves...There are recorded cases of numbers appearing on more than one machine so yes, that is at least a possibility...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

We know that COB is a Birmingham series. BSA is Birmingham Small Arms, and COB 260 is a BSA prototype. To me this means that COB 260 was a works registration number. When the original COB 260 was delivered to the MVEE, it was re-registered with a London CC (military) registration number EMV 196. This means that COB 260 was not in use anymore, and in my opinion, BSA simply "re-cycled" this registration number on another bike. I know that Enfield sometimes did the same thing: re-cycling old works registrations on newer bikes.

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Ian, we were typing together! :grinning:

Thanks for the replies Jan and Ian, sounds logical.

I have another interesting point. Although the 1936 and 1937 'COB' should be different bikes, they had the same MWEE 'vehicle number' see the far right upper corner on both documents below. Left Rick's photo and right a photo of a document which I made in Kew. I would expect that these M20's had different vehicle numbers or did the MWEE just used the same vehicle number?

Afbeelding3gegre

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Irish army had one of these in august 1937 for evaluation too it seems
There’s a well known photo of Stanley woods sat astride it
Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

This is the picture that John is referring to:

Comdt-Stanley-Woods-2-Lt-G-Mangan-Sgt-Rusty-Leonard-Lt-Galbraith

And Stanley Woods is in front, I guess ? With an upswept exhaust pipe.
Again a beautifull picture.

Nieuwe pagina 1