Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cable or wiring clip

I bought the nearer one of these two today at Bridgewater auto jumble, it has green paint on it, any thoughts?

Rob

cable-clip

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Cable or wiring clip

Rob,

I'm 99% certain that this is a Norton speedo cable fork clip. My 1940 16H had an identical one when found.

If you do not need it I can have it with pleasure (missing one for my other 16H).

Kind regards,
Kostas

email (option): Ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Hi Kostas

Thanks, it sounds like I may be missing this from my Big4.

Rob

These clips seem to have been introduced under contact C6127. Earlier bikes like mine simply had black cloth tape round the cable.

A-1940-C4102632-W5075-C-5109-5

Did they change though with the later cable type ?

I never stop learning, were these used on other makes?

Rob

C4185089-1

Image1

BSA version, could have done with one of these when my speedo bracket broke and I dragged my speedo along the road.

Rob

clip

Lokking further, it seems that the clip made its appearance with Norton around the same point that the off-set speedo mounting was introduced, which seems logical. With the earlier system, the cable enters the girder above the mudguard.

I have a note that 'Speedometer Cable Clip - 4917' features in the spare parts list for contract C10217 (W45001 - W50000) but that from contract C11082 (W60001 onwards), a part number 4915 was specified. In fact, these parts appeared much earlier, but the lists were always behind the reality. It's typical Norton to give the later part a lower number too...

Rik! About the same story applies to the Velocette MAC (WD) as well as the MAF. The pre-war Velocette MAC had a centrally placed odometer. With the Velocette MAC (WD) (sometimes called a MDD) the off-set mounting was introduced. At that moment, the clip shown above for the thicker Jaeger cable will also appear in the Spare-Parts List (Velocette order number KA228). With the Velocette MAF it became a clip for the Smiths cable. Order number KA228/2. Can we therefore assume that a few English brands have used this clip until the introduction of the telescopic fork (so for a short time?)? But you won't find them anywhere! Who's going to make some new ones?

I think top clip is an early M20/bsa pre war wiring harness clip as opposed to a speedo cable clip!.....it prevents chafe (ouch!!!)...

email (option): jacko1977pfc@gmail.com

Hi Shaun

Yes we have discussed the other (top) clip here before, it was used for the loom on Nortons & BSAs and perhaps other makes, I pictured them together for scale. I'm intrigued by cross company parts use.

Rob

Apologies Rob....I can imagine their was plenty of mix and match when the main priority was getting machines back into service !? I wouldn't have thought they we're overly concerned with the number of rivetts?😂..unless structural of course!? 😌

email (option): jacko1977pfc@gmail.com

On a Norton, the cable loom clip is on the right side of the forks, on a BSA it's on the left. Ron

16-H-026-3
DSCF3577

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Taking into account that the wiring loom clip has to be threaded onto the loom at quite an early stage, it seems quite likely that they might have been supplied by Lucas...as were the battery carrier fronts, complete headlamps etc...and the commonality of the screw connectors hints that the complete harnesses came from them too.

The speedo cable clips are much less common. Presumably made by Terry or similar ?

Nieuwe pagina 1