Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA GB40 query...

I've picked up a BSA GB40 petrol tank and it has the filler cap offset slightly to the right when sat astride the bike...
In the past I have only ever seen these tanks with a centrally placed filler cap...Does anyone have any information on this subject?...The tank has had the upper surface stripped to bare metal but the original bronze green paint is present on the underside...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: BSA GB40 query...

Late 1970 onwards, to allow the use of a funnel when filling.

Thanks Peter, what year were the last B40s produced?...I believed that was 1970...Ian

I believe the last bikes were despatched to the MOD about July 1970.

No quibble with any of the above comments, plus -
The offset-filler petrol tanks were not fitted to production bikes and were introduced as a replacement spare part believed to have happened in late 1970.
The position of the filler to the right of the tank places it at the highest point for refuelling when the bike is on its side stand.
Another case of "why didn't they do that from the start?"
One other late production spare part introduced after production of complete machines ended is the air filter box with additional air vents through the lid, covered by a shroud over them. Only ever seen two real examples of that design as shown in the '73 parts book. If anyone has one I'd be delighted to hear from them.
Rupert.

Lee Mitchell (of the Mitchell B40 collection) also confirmed the information...The collection is well worth a look (on line), he has made a lovely job of the restorations and shows many examples of the type with accompanying information...
It seems that finally the post war machines that have survived are getting a following and the interest they deserve...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1