Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 Rifle Scabbard Holder

How was the personal rifle carried on the M20, other than across the back with the rifle strap? I have seen pictures of rifles in a leather scabbard strapped to the front forks and some others have a metal rack attached to the bikes forks for supporting the rifle in a leather scabbard. I have also seen a picture of a rifle mounted horizontally on the side of the bike. Naturally now, I can’t remember where I found those pictures. If anyone has any pictures or information how the weapon was mounted I would greatly appreciate a copy.

Many thanks,

Kenny
Oklahoma
USA

email (option): knbright68@gmail.com

Re: M20 Rifle Scabbard Holder

I don't think that was ever officially done on British bikes. A motorcyclist in any theatre of operation would normal carry a side arm (.38 revolver in holster for instance) and we have seen a couple of pictures of a Sten gun being worn by its sling. A rifle would be a bit big and awkward, but nothing to stop it being carried by its sling also. Ron
Normandy-BSA

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Also there are no part numbers in any M20 spares lists relating to the fitment of a rifle holder, which there would be...I think in any recent photos of M20s fitted out in this way it comes under the heading of restorers 'artistic license'....I've yet to see a period photo of an M20 with one fitted...As Ron notes, a rifle was not part of a DRs standard equipment issue it seems....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

One of the very few examples that I've seen of a wartime fitment...It looks to be a Corps of Military Police unit modification using rifle clips intended for other vehicles.

C4342237-BSA-WM20-MP

It's such a rare example that I don't think it could be used as justification for doing similar unless this very narrow mid-war Traffic Control function was being replicated. It was probably discontinued once the Sten came into use.

It also couldn't be done in that way with the later, standardised, rear carrier/pannier bags set up...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

That's a good point, Ian. It looks as if 'Phantom' in late 1940 may have used a similar system with clips.

phantom

The Sten was a far more common weapon for a motorcyclist from 1944 onwards. This Norton is marked to a Canadian Training School...once again the clips welded to the frame can't really be taken as any indication that this was anything but a rare practice.

C4683816

I recall seeing something, I think on this forum. Some years ago,
someone had a go at replicating the clips. It looks like I might
need some:laughing: my M20 is approx 200 numbers before the Phantom
bikes.

Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

All of those methods look like excellent ways of filling the gun’s mechanism with grot thrown up off the back wheel and chain.

This is why the Harley Davidson was the bike that won the war. They all have a wailing sireeeen, a baseball bat and glove and a Tommy gun in a leather scabbard! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I asked my grandad this same question years ago when I got my 1st m20.

My Grandad fought in the BEF , Dday amongst over places . He was a donr.

At 1st reserves pre BEF they got trained with rifles slung on thier back and always had the gas mask pouch on your front. But as the war went on it changed and hindered them .

He carried a sidearm standard issue , he loved the PPK as it was small and portable, he didn't like the webley so much to heavy and was hard to shute when on the move and could send you off balance.

He said he had a couple of stens he slung over his back but it kept getting stuck on the rear pillion seat , so he strapped it to the back and lost a couple on his travels, then didnt bother with them he did say they were rubish anyway , the smizer was better ! Funny how he preferred German weapons and motorbikes over british ones .

Mind you he said his small concertina was more looked after then any item along with his food queue jumping donr helmet.

Woody

email (option): Chriscool@sky.com

Nieuwe pagina 1