Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Field Stands and Parts

A new post at Ian's request.

Hello all, I've just had my first quote back for the field stand clip 31-4197. This would be hardened and tempered then zinc and clear plated to reduce corrosion when in use.
All sounds good until I tell you that I would have to retail them for about £20.00ukp each.
As you can imagine I would have to make a large investment in these.
What do you think?

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Re: New Field Stands and Parts

To my mind 20 quid is a bargain. You can never find one when you need it. But since it's a painted part, you could save yourself some time and money by just leaving them in bare steel. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I would do a thorough check of availability from other sources...Perhaps some forum members might be aware of other suppliers as well so it would be a question worth asking here....At the end of the day if a component is totally unavailable there is little option but to pay the price for a modern replacement and when there is a total lack of supply I have found parts will sell...
The other difficulty is assessing demand...In the past when I've had doubts I've pre sold the parts here on the forum to try and approach the 'payback' point at least... It's really down to what the minimum order number is in that regard I suppose...
I have a NOS clip and another NOS one as a spare but if I didn't I wouldn't think too hard about paying £20 pounds for one...I paid £15 for one of the NOS ones...

Thanks for starting the new thread!....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

a bargain indeed for a part NLA, i cant wait till you have a complete stand ready for me to order
and bare steel is fine as ill paint it anyway
cant thank you enough for your efforts to make these parts for us all

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

If it was a Norton WD part, the punters would be throwing themselves at you...but a large proportion of M20 owners expect to be paying Russell Motors 1976 prices.

A lot of us are happily not very aware of what modern bike parts cost.

['but a large proportion of M20 owners expect to be paying Russell Motors 1976 prices...']...Where do you get these ideas from Rik...?:laughing: ...Ian

Hi Mark,

I am looking for a clip at the moment and would be happy to pay £20 for one.

Tony.

email (option): tony-wilkinson@sky.com

Soon

Order placed for the Stand clip spring, let's see how long their version of six weeks is.

Funny I'm still waiting for quotes on other springs, I thought this would be more of a pain?

I've now paid for the Field Stand Spring Clips, so it shouldn't be too long before I receive them. I just hope I don't get buried with too many of them :(

Also I have the bracket to mount them on, though still to be bent.

I've placed an order with another company for the spring that goes in the knuckle.
I don't expect them to be quick as it too a few weeks for them to answer my emails.

Hi Mark,

Please message me when you get them and I will have one off you.

Regards

Tony.

email (option): tony-wilkinson@sky.com

Thanks for all your work. I really appreciate your efforts to make the bits that are almost non-existent.
Here in the US parts are really hard to come by.
Thanks

email (option): Cbfatboyhaws@gmail.com

Thank you Charlie.

Update on the field stand clips.
I found the chap yesterday who was dealing with my order face to face.
From first claiming all the work was done "in house" it seems two subcontractors are involved.
His claim is that they let him down!
Typical salesman! So it's one day for heat treatment. One more day for plating.
So what are they doing to do for the next month?
I expect the job was forgotten.

At least he admitted they could not make the flat wire springs used for the clutch and crank, but said it may be possible in Sweden.

This is why we try to do so much our selves.
If I wanted to tuck subcontractors into bed and wipe their backsides I'd have gone into nursing rather than toy making for you.

Finally they field stand clips turn up! I've never known a company generate so much paperwork.

These have been heat treated and zinc plated, so they will have a longer service life and shouldn't corrode the stand when fitted in the clip.

I've managed to get a better price on these in the end, meaning I can sell these to you at £15.00 ukp each. If your unfortunate enough to live in the UK vat will have to be added.

Email Anita pes.sales@btconnect.com for contacting us directly.

By the end of the day they should be on our website. Search 31-4197

We also have 66-4721 Clip Plate in stock, but not bent yet. These are £4.00 ukp

Even more progress today with another spring delivery.

We now have a large stock of 15-6052 field stand knuckle springs.

A test assembly proves the spring and spacer sleeve work perfectly.

These springs we are able to sell at £2.00 ukp each

Just a few more fasteners to make and I will be able to offer a complete field stand kit.

great work Mark, really appreciated, sign me up for a complete kit

Thank you Kevin, it may be a few weeks yet as we are struggling with quality and speed of one of our electro platers.

please send me link to web site

email (option): david.bonello@go.com.mt

https://www.pesltd.uk/?product=66-4722&ptno=66-4722

Have a browse around in search box

Some more parts will appear later next week when back from plating.

Mark

Mark Cook
I've now paid for the Field Stand Spring Clips, so it shouldn't be too long before I receive them. I just hope I don't get buried with too many of them :(

Also I have the bracket to mount them on, though still to be bent.

I've placed an order with another company for the spring that goes in the knuckle.
I don't expect them to be quick as it too a few weeks for them to answer my emails.
I would also be very keen to have this item please ?

email (option): s.foster11@blueyonder.co.uk

For those who don't want the in my eyes unnecessary plating, just dump it for 5 minutes in a plastic container with battery acid, and all will be gone.

Most paint will not adhere to zinc plating!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb***.net

Lex, please don't think for a minute that the plating is for you. Don't forget we make parts that very few will ever buy. You must have seen after all the effort made 80 years ago to protect parts from corrosion it often just doesn't work. Then you have the horrible job of cleaning the part. Our parts can be viewed without making them unfit for sale. The plating helps with long term storage when the parts are bulk stored. We also go to the trouble of making many parts "baby safe" so you won't cut yourself. Also, unnecessary. Though we do it.
Yes, BZP can be in your face a little. Simply leaving the parts in the rain will remove the brightness. Also aid good paint adhesion. Don't do it with your bike if it's sugar coated.

But seriously,

If you go to our web site and search for the parts required, you should be able to find them. We still have pictures to post on some items. The full kit for the clamp on field stand is still to be listed. Some parts are still at the platers as they were rejected but should be done by now. If you have any problems with the website, please email us and Anita should be able to help you.

https://pesltd.uk/?product=15-6051&ptno=15-6051

pes.sales@btconnect.com

Mark

To clarify too - the knuckle itself wasn’t painted it was plated & seen this way in many photos - at least early short stands

This might have changed later with pressure on & requirements for vehicles at a high where additional production processes increased cost & extended delivery times

Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks for the explanation for the plating, Mark.

John, you're right, the knuckles were plated, but cadmium plated, I had several NOS ones, even sold you some.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb***.net

Hi lex
No I never got any from you - I can’t believe you had do me e & sold them 🤣🤣

Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

This is the short Field Stand kit mounted with the later panniers fitted. Lots of room and adjustable.
The black passivated zinc was still not too standard and will be a fight for another day, but I expect everyone will paint the items.

The clamp on Field Stand kit is yet to be tried and I'm still not convinced about lengths. I guess I will have to work with the first few customers to get the length right.

Mark

Finally, what you have all been waiting but will never buy.

What's required now is a bike to fit one too, to confirm lengths. There are so many ways to fit this, but right or wrong I've worked to the knuckle being below the clamp bolt and the axis of rotation being parallel to the ground with the bike vertical. Also, to avoid the battery the clamp should be close to the seat spring lug.
A word of warning the paint on the frame may act as a lubricant causing the clamp to slip.

This has been a tougher project than I ever imagined.

Mark

I'm very impressed, not only at the quality but also at the fact someone has finished a project, thats pretty rare on here.

Now if you can make set of M20 girders which allow us to risk an accident and have a an insurance repair that would be great, but ideally without the PES branding which would make me think twice.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

How much is the complete field stand assembly?....Ian

Here is the link to the Stand kit Ian.

https://pesltd.uk/?product=PES0025&ptno=PES0025

Mark

Hi Mark,

Waiting mine, I'll keep informed once fitted,
Will there be any plan in the package ?

Regards

Yannick (from belgium)

email (option): its.me.twixi[AT]gmail[DOT]com

Rob Miller
I'm very impressed, not only at the quality but also at the fact someone has finished a project, thats pretty rare on here.

Now if you can make set of M20 girders which allow us to risk an accident and have a an insurance repair that would be great, but ideally without the PES branding which would make me think twice.

Thanks Rob, it's been a fight. I think without the kind willing helpers I would have given up. So far, I think this has cost me more than the price of a bike.

Yes, I agree the branding on the fork kinks is a little heavy, though it will hardly show being on the inside. It will grind off. At the moment the forks have slipped to low priority due to a lack of interest. The big problem is that their large amounts of forks in private collections. Rear frames are in shorter supply.
Also, the foundry that was helping me has changed ownership and only wants to cast "Tree quantities" only. This makes it expensive to test a mould tool.

At the end of the day, if Anita doesn't see sales, the time I'm allowed to work on this stuff diminishes. All the CNC machines are overdue replacement and that's not cheap.

Mark

Yannick Haccourt
Hi Mark,

Waiting mine, I'll keep informed once fitted,
Will there be any plan in the package ?

Regards

Your kit has been sent partially assembled and should be easy to workout based on the picture above mounted to a bike.
The clip plate is a fiddley thing to mount, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.
Watch out for the collar in the knuckle, it must line up with the notch in the bolt.
If the stand pole is mounted the wrong way round the bike will lean too far.

Mark.

One of my favourite sayings:- "The price is forgotten, long after the quality is felt"

Ron:+1:

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Mark, thanks so much for your efforts, really appreciated
i just ordered one to be sent to Canada

Thank you Kevin,

Anita will process your order in the morning.

Mark

Nieuwe pagina 1