Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BSA is coming back soon

I once had a fellow motorcyclist approach me & say "BSA, that's an old German bike isn't it?" I thought that being an ex military machine the bike may've been insulted, but she started & off we chuffed.
Mind you, the bike is on record as getting quite persnickety on a couple of December 7s.

As I noted, younger riders don't share the baggage regarding manufacturers that we all carry round...I have little detailed knowledge of the bike scene in Australia but in the UK we have 'hipsters'...That group is largely populated by younger riders who definitely don't seem to have a 'power' obsession at all and customise and ride everything from small Hondas through to Harleys but with few Japanese sports bikes in the mix...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The new Gold Star! Ron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f52zuJSesiM

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Wow!...They have really picked up on the BSA look in many ways...It's not possible to determine fit, finish and overall specification as it stands and there's still the question of price and whether that's exactly what gets into production...

However, as they've gone with a large single and I favour big singles (I'm currently building a 640cc B33 to go with the 600cc Goldie and the 720cc M20), I'd certainly take a close look at that as a modern runabout to compliment my other Beezas...Based on first impressions I'm looking forward to how it all works out...Ian

Does look very appealing to my eye
And yes they have picked up on a lot of the old design features
Interesting they say it is a low reving engine so it will be really interesting to see the all important torque curve .
As is not Aust compliant with those blinkers being too close together and probably too low at the back
But very easy on the eye in chrome or black, not fussed with the other colours.
Definately not what I was expecting so they are marketing directly to our generation, dangerous thing to do .
Doubt we will see any down here for several years
And I really would like to hear the exhaust note
We have limits at around 85 Dba now days for new motorcycles.
But the killer is the drive by test which orf course catches all of the engine noise as well which makes it really hard for air cooled engines.

what's the chance of getting one registered in Germany, post Brexit? :white_frowning_face:
Took a month and a customs declaration for a pack of earl grey to reach me from Blighty recently!

I expect some of the engine design will be Jawa based as they also bought some rights to them. Interestingly it seems they didn't buy all the rights to BSA, it's only a 100 year lease.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

Launch at the NEC. Ron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg3jBQuwes8

I think it basically looks good...It's a shame they didn't come up with a nicer looking/less obtrusive radiator...The Triumph has it between the frame down tubes and it looks a lot neater and more discreet...A little on the heavy side as well at 469lbs.'wet'..(213 kilos)....It seems motorcycle manufacturers have universally forgotten the benefits of light weight...My 1970 T120R Bonneville was just under 400lbs...

Nevertheless, I still like it at first look...What price?.. That is the important question that remains unanswered...Ian

So far I've heard a vague rumor of between £5000-£6000. Ron

On further investigation, the prices guessed at will be more than a 650 RE twin and more like that of a Kawasaki W800 and the Triumph Street Twin. So I'd say more like £8000. Ron

With the latest version of the now well established RE Interceptor at £6850 (base models about £6400) and the 900cc Triumph Street Twin at £8600, I think they'll struggle if it's £8000....Ian

Agreed about that bloody radiator. I'd like to see this bike compete in the same area as RE & prices would need to be similar. I hope it doesn't end up an overly expensive boutique machine. The idea of a 650cc ohc single certainly has its attractions.
Is there any talk of eventually expanding the range with other bikes? This might give an indication of where the company wants to head.

great looking bike. i hope it does come to Australia..no matter what the price is, probably wont be as much as ive spent on my m20..lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfMS-S4_G6c&ab_channel=TheMissendenFlyer

email (option): wandins@bigpond.net.au

' probably wont be as much as I've spent on my m20..'

:laughing: :laughing: ...Quite, all of my BSAs have cost as much or more than the new one is likely to be...Building the Goldie was measurably the wrong side of £10,000 and the B33 'special' I'm building now will cost nearly as much due to the substantially upgraded specification...On the other hand, they'll probably return more of their cost than any new bike when the time to sell comes around, which helps to convince me I know what I'm doing:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ...Ian

I was once told that the definition of an enthusiast is a person who spends more on their bike than it's actually worth. So I must be an enthusiast.

There was a point where I started to look at my bikes and what I would or wouldn't build based on current or future values...I guess I read too many classic bike magazines...

Then I remembered that I didn't used to think like that.. The reason I had old bikes was because I liked building and riding them, not because of what they're worth now or later...

Once I got my head straight again I carried on building whatever took my fancy, however illogical and irrespective of the balance sheet...I'm now poorer but feel I have a more healthy attitude again and I can blow all my money on things like this:laughing: .....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1