Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Is this normal

Post WWII there was a special fork made to allow the fitting of teles to girder frames
I have led to believe it was locally made but I have seen shots showing telet forked long frames in front of BSA showrooms.
SO it could be a sililar idea
And yes it does make them steer funny.

BSA pre unit rigid, plunger and swinging arm models all used yokes of the pattern described as a standard fitment...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Visually, the G3L does have a tipped up yoke. Ron

DSCF4119

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes
As mentioned I thought it was a local idea to shift the remainder of the WD m20's after the inital rush for private transport was over .
As you know teles won't fit into the long frame as the mudguard fouls on the front down tube
But there is a shot some where ( trying to locate it ) of a row of 20ish Wm20's sitting in front of the South Australian distributors showroom with tele forks and long frames .
So there had to be a work around , offical or unoffical .
There were photos at Sims Metal showing mountains of loose girders & complete frames being feed into the balers along with other things like complete Merlins being lowered into the furnace in a custom built melting cage, tanks cut in 1/2 like a crab .
Every RSL club in the country got a dissabled field cannon but Sims chopped up thousands of them.
Remember a surplus M20 was £ 10 and new one was £ 45 , D series stationary engine was £30 and the only real visual difference between the post war & war models was the paint ( easily done ) and the tele forks and dealers had to have some thing to sell to the public

im sure they are angled slightly, if there to far out the top yoke wont fit

barry

Have a look at the underside of the yokes( triple trees) you should see the part number cast into them. The early 1941 yokes are not compatible with the later 1942 ones so you will be looking for them both to have the number 42 cast into the number. If you have a mixture then you will need to find a matching pair.

Nieuwe pagina 1