Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Powder coating as a base

Hi all,

I've read some previous threads on the pros and cons of powder coating, but just want to ask for tips about painting over this from those who done this.

I'm looking to get my frame and some exposed parts (e.g. bash plate, chain guards, stand) blast cleaned and powder coated. I'm using synthetic enamel as a top coat. I understand the need to abrade the powder coat, to get a key. However, I'm unsure if I need to use an undercoat or if I can go straight to the enamel.

Forgive the ignorance. Any tips wilk be appreciated.

Craig

email (option): cmmacd @hotmail.co.uk

Re: Powder coating as a base

If you can find someone who does stove enameling I think it would be better. Get it etch primed first.

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

You can use a powder coating as a undercoat and indeed you need to key it before you go further with a paint.
But,.. powder coating is a plastic layer and it is rather thick, IMO it makes the parts have a 'wolly' look.
Go for a primer + 1 or maybe 2 top coat(s) in the color you want.
Anyway, how much use are you going to give it? Powder coating is a good protection for heavy use, a bit much for just the occasional ride. succes.

Hmm, that's two votes against. I'm building this as a 'rider' that I'll keep, but not my regular bike. (Bit creaky now.) At the risk of stirring up an old debate, is POR-15 a worthwhile middle option?

email (option): cmmacd @hotmail.co.uk

I'm not a fan of powder coating either! I've seen it chip off under fasteners and clamps etc. For years I've used Bonda Primer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392337734137?hash=item5b5926b9f9:g:KOQAAOSwfCZdKL1b

On heavily pitted parts I'll follow up with coats of high build primer or better still 2 pack high build primer, before wet and dry. Ron
C10-284

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1