Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ex military Norton combo??

Isn't this the French service Bernadet body that they fitted to a few SWD Big4s in England and then apparently post-war to the outifts that they took into service then..Clearly the trials type WD chair was too sporty for them.

C4185661

I don't think it is a military B4.
The rear wheel axle appears to have a small nut and there is no sub frame.

cheers

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

I may have this the wrong way round but didn't the early WD Big 4s have an oil tell tale on the timing cover and the later WD Big 4 s didn't have the oil tell tale?

Should help to date the machine in this photo.

I had a WD SWD Big 4 that did not have a sub frame and also had a 43 tooth rear wheel sprocket as opposed to a 52 tooth sprocket. However it did have a live rear wheel axle and the dog clutch engagement lever did not need the sub frame to mount it.

However, I have just noted the machine appears to have a rear stand fitted for which there was no lug facility on a SWD Big 4 to accept one.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

"I may have this the wrong way round but didn't the early WD Big 4s have an oil tell tale on the timing cover and the later WD Big 4 s didn't have the oil tell tale?"

It is the other way round Keith. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
"I may have this the wrong way round but didn't the early WD Big 4s have an oil tell tale on the timing cover and the later WD Big 4 s didn't have the oil tell tale?"

It is the other way round Keith. Ron
Thanks Ron.

The sidecar chassis is the SWD version and not the Norton Model 8 type. They were distinguishable by virtue of the SWD type having a bolt on mudguard vertical stay whereas the Model 8 sidecar was a brazed on stay into the axle lug. Further I do not recall the Model 8 sidecar chassis having the foot peg at the front of the sidecar chassis just to the side of the front sidecar spring mounting.

The Norton Model 8 sidecar chassis was used on some WD 16Hs with the standard wd sidecar passenger body as used on other makes.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Keith you are right about the differences between the Big 4 and 16H sidecar chassis, however they are both Norton chassis. BSA fitted the Swallow chassis for their Model 8 outfits but Norton didn't. Ron
Centraal-Magazijn-Weesp-16-H-600dpi-2
Scan-20180920-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Captured French Bernardet sidecar coupled to a Rene Gillet.

20211120-110817

Nieuwe pagina 1