Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Horn in service brown .

Maybe even Matchless G3L Steve. Matchless seemed to swap between Altette and Clearhooters all along. They were also fitted to WD Velos, but not in Service Brown. Ron
scan-170930-0002

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Sorry Ron! The Velocette MAF was also delivered in Service-Brown. Meanwhile I have found a NOS MAF-toolbox in Service Brown and a NOS rear wheel (including label) in service Brown. That’s the reason why I need an extra MAF, just to have “all the Velocette Color’s”. Still many parts to go!

OK Peter. I would have thought that mid 41 to early 42 was too early for service brown, but I stand corrected. Very good to know actually, as my own MAF as you know, came to me in a light brown colour.... which I had to get some more mixed to respray some parts. My genuine MAF toolbox was black when I acquired it.

The process of my original crankcases being reunited with the bike years after being parted via you in Netherlands still amazes now.

Cheers Ron:+1:
DSCF3511-2

Once Khaki Green No.3 had been discontinued, there would have been no supplies obtainable...Any spare parts ordered from Veloce Ltd., even if already contracted would have been finished in current service colour.

I wouldn't say that the existence of spare parts in SCC No.2, in itself, necessarily means that complete motorcycles were delivered in that colour.

Good point Rik! Ron

Yes! My problem is solved! I don’t need a second MAF just to have that other color. But there is another problem. The original NOS MAF wheel has a label with a vanished text and O.H.M.S. (On her Majesty’s Service!?). Never seen this kind of labels on spare parts before. What does it mean in this context?

Peter, what you have to do is build a KG3 bike with a few brown parts on..then pull up a chair an listen to people commenting :grinning:

I've seen boxes of post-war repackaged Norton parts which had KG3, SCC Brown and Olive Drab parts in...It must have been the case that wrong-coloured parts ended up vehicles...

The OHMS label was a postage label from the time when Royal Mail was state-owned and provided a decent service...Does it have a destination marked on it ? If not, perhaps it was never sent or was placed in a larger consignment.

Here is Peter's wheel. Of course up to 1952, it could have been "On HIS Majesty's Service" Ron

IMG-7315

Thanks Rik and thanks Ron. Again I have learned about some details of my Velocette MAF, but they are important to me. The idea about building a motorcycle in two colours is perhaps a good one. Only problem, I am still looking for a MAF frame. Most other parts are there. And those comments ….. I think there will be some amusement.

Nieuwe pagina 1