Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wm 20 girder forks

This illustration might help. The way I've checked them after removal is:- Draw a straight line on a piece of board, lay the forks so that the line runs through the top central grease nipple and the center of the mudguard support. Then check the measurements from the line to the wheel spindle lugs. With some careful clamping and a big crow bar, I've pulled them to the correct sizes. Not at all easy if the bend is fore and aft. Ron

Scan-140318-0001

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for that Ron , I will have a go at checking the measurements the way you suggest .
, What I also found was when I fitted the forks back on was the main spring was hard up against the bottom of the steering column , I thought it was probably because there isn’t an engine fitted , no weight to pull it down .Win.

With the forks hanging, the spring will make contact with the headstock. That might also apply with the engine removed and the wheel on the ground. Although I thought the weight of the frame on it's own might be enough to give clearance. I just can't remember. Ron

Ok Ron that doesn’t sound too much of a problem , I suppose when checking the measurements I could use a String line , that way I wouldn’t have to take the forks off . Always looking for an easy way out me , What do you reckon ?.

email (option): Winstonjones6@bigpond.com

Well I suppose a plumb line or brickies line pulled taught would give an indication of any malalignment. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1